The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I installed larger brakes on the front. Some pics and details are here:

A few weeks ago I ordered the rear kit in the link below from PNM.

I got an e-mail today saying it will be delivered tomorrow...so excited!

Also I previously installed an ABS delete system that adds a traditional master cylinder and booster. The system has adjustable bias.

Cant wait to see how the balance is with the system adding the rear set up.

More details as they are available. I think I might have to take Friday off work!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Crap!

False alarm, it was a blow off valve I won on Ebay UK for $12. Delivered from UK in 3 days! amazing.

Hopefully PNM and their subs are not delayed too much by Health concerns and it will come next week.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK my Brakes are in Philladelphia. UPS tracker says they will be here Monday!

Very excited, going to try to take a couple of days off next week and get them installed. Cant wait to see if i can get the braking feel I am looking for!

Great communication from PNM. I am thrilled they were able to get these together during all of this Health mess. Apparently there are several sub vendors involved that they source be-spoke parts from for the kits making it even more of a miracle.

After rear brakes I will get the race seat and harness installed; then hopefully get in a few fun track days this fall so I can assess the cooling systems for track work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Riddle me this...:unsure:
Is it possible to move the front Brembos to the back, leaving the rears as an E brake and upgrade the fronts?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took about a month for the calipers to be made and the other parts to be sourced and delivered to them.

My car is pre Brembo. I have not heard of any one moving the Esprit Brembos to the rear, I suspect the custom machine work required for adapters and rotor hats make it not worth while. Also the front Brembos are not radial mount design (I think) further complicating the adapter and alignment of everything back there. You can use the rear Brembo calipers for an e- brake, but what ever solution you use in the back has to be the same width as the OE rotor if you do that.

·
Registered
495 Posts
As far as I know, the front Brembo's were used in conjunction woth 300mm discs. If you look them up on Brembo's chart, you may find a table describing what size discs and what thickness they can adapt to. Rember shim them up to be centralised.
Also, the pistons are built with smaller leading pistons and bigger rears, which could be a bit strange, as now, the front pistons are bigger thn the rears (turning it around?), although I am not sure on that with them Lotus mounted Brembo 4 pot calipers, as I haven't had them in my hand. Can call a friend who have them tomorrow and ask, if need be?
Be sure to have even bigger brakes on front, or instal an adjustable bias valve.
I have 322mm thick vented aluminium bell 2.piece discs all around with 4 piston AP front and 4 piston Lotus experimental caliper rear (which is nearly the same as the ones that PNM now use. When I wanted to do those brakes on the front, note that I have the old style front hubs, where the disc are behind the hub, not the other wy around, that ws introduced later. PNM made on request special discs to aapt that, and now sell them to everyone who want them. That's a very good idea.
You can have the bells both front and rear on eother steel or aluminium as per AP's discs are also in aluminium.
Beware of the parking brake on those rear calipers. It's virually nonexisting. It's manually adjusted mini pad on both sides, and will NOT pass MOT. It WILL run down a hill, though...
So, in order to overcome that, wlectric calipers for parking have beeen developed by the same company, who makes PNM's calipers. I don't want that, so I have ordered a set of small aluminium calipers only for parking, re-use the hand brake cables,and change the caliper bracket fron the one that holds the pnm 4 pot rear calipers, to one that also holds the new small aluminium brake calpers as well. Very smart. I have not received them yet, so cannot show them. Should be a breexe to install , I am told. And much much lighter than using the old style Brembo single piston parking caliper. Think har about the brakes, I my humble view, the Esprit is MUCH too fast for it's mini brakes, even though they are in top condition. And today there are so many good options to choose from ;)
All these 320mm brake kits demand 17" or bigger wheels. Or special solutions have to be made. Possibly someone already have, bot I don't know.

Erik, you can really look forward to have the complete big brake set-up as imhp it really transforms the brakes, the car and the speeed you can carry safely. And they don't overheat.
Next is pads, and that's a big discussion. In my own personal view, greenstuff are crap, yellowstuff are crap and redstuff only work when on a trackday. I also have tried EBC Ultimax and Ultimax 2 pads, which are for standard brakes, going fairly slow. Not a sportspad, where you want bite on the street and a trackday once in a while without melting the resin in the pads. Black stuff is their ordinary street pad, and to me at least, they resemble Green stuff but with more dust.
I also run Hawk Carbon pads, which does not make dust and are disc-friendly, but doesn't offer much initial bite, and need a high pressure to brake, although they can. Despite having bed them in over some 500 km's, they didn't bite well, and only after over 1500km's they felt more effective. Yes, I have gone through brake boost, leakstesting etc, all perfect.
I can recommend highly the Ferrodo DS2500 pads, which make dust, and brake very well. To me at least, they don't seem to eat discs.
I have now ordered some other pads to try, with more initial bite and feel, plus they are supposed to withstand a trackday (as can DS2500).
Brembo, made by Ferrodo, also offers other good pads, other than DS2500. They do a little bit more street friendly pad, and several race pads (not for street use). Or swap pads before going track! Better to do so.
On a different note I know, but on my LAverda triple motorcycle, i installed Brembo Carbon-ceramic pads last year, and they are GREAT! Bite, feel, not eating discs, less dust, long life and can take a real beating. I wish they would do the same for my Esprit.
These are my own experiences, and others may have different ones and different views, so be prepared to make a little bit of you own experimentation.

Just my two-cents.
Cheers,
Redfox.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK made some progress tonight:

A few comparisons to the stock rotors

IMG_2741.JPG IMG_2742.JPG

And the calipers. This is the anodized black finish. Looks great, pleased with the look.

IMG_2744.JPG IMG_2745.JPG

The little padlets for the emergency brake are cute. I hear they dont work all that great. I rarely need an E brake, but its one of those things. When you need it you really need it. Well see how it goes. If the E brake is a PITA I will buy the other adapter that is offered and add the Willwood E brake option that PNM offer. I hate to do it because of the weight.

So about weight. This set up is a little heavier than stock. When these rotors wear out....or I can convince myself that they are worn out :) I will get the up graded 2 piece rotors that PMN offers. I would imagine the weight is about a wash with the lighter 2 piece rotors.

The most astonishing difference between the two set ups is the mass of the rotors. The new rotors are almost twice as heavy as the oem. That is a lot of heat sink. Cant imagine you would need more rotor than this. Honestly its total overkill. I hope that I will find I am slightly over braked on the rear and I can turn the rear brake bias down a touch to get that balance where you can really jump on the brakes with confidence.

Cannot wait to take her for a drive later this week. Stay tuned for a driving report.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Looking good Erik.
Yes, as I also worite, they are a complete laugh, those mini e-brake pads. I've orderd something from pnm tto, but haven't got tham yet. Possibly small wilwood calipers only for e-brake.
Looking forward to seeing the finished setup.
Cheers,
Redfox

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,942 Posts
Here's a lightweight, foldable emergency brake system. It needs to be manually applied, though. 😈

Reactions: Erik L

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I should add - I feel like on a $/lb of heat sink for braking this is a good value :) The price is quite reasonable after looking around at having custom rotor hats and caliper adapters machined. shipping is not however ~ $190 with customs import fees.

Also, I have huge 17" wheels and the calipers barely clear the back of the spokes on the face of the wheels.

Cant wait to get her back on the road.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One of my friends has installed Wilwood E-brake,120-12069-RD & 120-1270-RD. He says they work great.
No code has to be inserted here.
PNM sells a kit - I think its what Red Fox mentions above, that has adapters and these E brake calipers for a few hundred. If needed I will look into that.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First test drive!

Getting the parking brake set up is very fiddly! But I took my time and it seems to hold the car on a flat surface :)

Initially I was concerned because the brakes did not seem to be as effective as the stock set up!

But, I did a few medium aggressive slows from 50 to 20 and dragged the brakes a bit to get some heat in them.

I think the coating had to burn off the pads or something.

Wonderful! They really are great. When you jump on them the whole car hunkers, the front end does not dive much.

The feel is much better but still a lot of braking with out huge foot pressure. I would like the foot pressure to be commensurate to the braking, I think that is safer in a panic situation. Interestingly though it is something I rapidly get used too.

Next steps -

1.) Do another thorough bleeding - even though it does not feel like it needs it.

2.) Fiddle with the vacuum assist to see if it will help get the effort to feel like it matches the amount of braking (like I said above its not bad, just not perfect - better than it was with stock rears by a long shot)

3.) Find a quiet place to do some threshold brake test and confirm if I need to turn the proportioning valve down to the rear calipers. I dont think so but I have not really jumped on the brakes yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts