The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am asking the experienced experts worldwide; can a 1995 Esprit S4s have the round rear taillight panel conversion without ANY intrusion (non-reversible modification) to the car?

I am prepared to modify the panel, even extensively. I will even find, modify or create round lights to fit flush within the panel so the car body does not have to be cut. I will build a conversion harness from the existing light harness to the new lights so the existing wiring harness is not cut. I will not cut, modify my S4s even slightly and it must be able to fully convert back to original lights. I have time and no hurry to complete. I am very capable; electrical work, fiberglass bodywork and painting as well. My S4s is mint and stock but must admit, I love the look of the round lights over the Toyota lights.

I do not want to change the lower panel, just the tail lights panel and lights to round. Can it be done and if so, who/where to I get just the panel?
Thank you in advance for your advice.
Ron

·
Cal H
982 Posts
The rear panels can fit without cutting the body but the access behind round light must be cut out or enlarged right behind where the OEM Toyota lights are mounted. The taillights can be restored back to Toyota lights and the original license plinth remounted. The Toyota lights will cover the enlarged openings created for the round lights. Get the rear piece from the guy from Thailand where midlife got his

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Cal. I have no idea about a supplier in Thailand. Can you help me figure out how to contact them? I have no idea who "midlife" is.
Ron

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Thank you Cal. I have no idea about a supplier in Thailand. Can you help me figure out how to contact them? I have no idea who "midlife" is.
Ron
I got from UMB Autobody in Thailand, only took like 5 days to arrive too!

They only have a facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/umb.autobody?fref=ts

Here is their email address
[email protected]

NOTE! Their English is not good so keep short...

Here is info on fitment, NOTE THIS IS a guy using the LOTUS OEM rear panel. The one from UMB does NOT require cutting the bumper as the instructions below show. With ANY of the round panels you will have to cut to allow for the round lights though.. See the image below #6 in the link below...

http://espritperformance.com/esprit...?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=35

For the round lights you have a few choices:

1. Lotus OEM incandescent
2. Lotus OEM LED Elise 2005+
3. Lotus OEM Other years (dont know which, difference is some the entire circle lights up for brakes while others only 1/2
4. Aftermarket options such as
http://www.pnmengineering.com/lotus-lighting.html at bottom of page. These are the ones I went with. NOTE, the BRAKE (bright) light up 1/2 (semi-circle) like this:

(...........).......LICENSE PLATE (.............)
Kenny

·
Registered
519 Posts
I got from UMB Autobody in Thailand, only took like 5 days to arrive too!

They only have a facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/umb.autobody?fref=ts

Here is their email address
[email protected]

NOTE! Their English is not good so keep short...

Here is info on fitment, NOTE THIS IS a guy using the LOTUS OEM rear panel. The one from UMB does NOT require cutting the bumper as the instructions below show. With ANY of the round panels you will have to cut to allow for the round lights though.. See the image below #6 in the link below...

espritperformance.com | Panel, Light, Holes, Cut, Need | Rear Round Light Conversion

For the round lights you have a few choices:

1. Lotus OEM incandescent
2. Lotus OEM LED Elise 2005+
3. Lotus OEM Other years (dont know which, difference is some the entire circle lights up for brakes while others only 1/2
4. Aftermarket options such as
Lotus Lighting | PNM Engineering at bottom of page. These are the ones I went with. NOTE, the BRAKE (bright) light up 1/2 (semi-circle) like this:

(...........).......LICENSE PLATE (.............)
Kenny
Non of them require cutting the bumper.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Non of them require cutting the bumper.
According to the companies who sell (PNM, etc.) the OEM Lotus rear round light panel does require cutting the rear bumper as the round panel goes down further. In the link I posted it even shows it..

Please clarify..

EDIT.. Correct, not the bumper but the part just above it...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thats not the bumper the its the rear shell the rear bumper isnt cut at all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are great and fast too!

However, I am confused. I will not cut any part of the body or bumper. I am hesitant to trim around the lights even though the old ones can be reinstalled. But may be willing to do that, but again no other cutting. I appreciate the detailed reply from Kenny/MidlifeZ.

However I remain uncertain of what has and has not to be done. I am prepared to trim the new panel and even fiberglass a new lip on it if needed to fit properly.
What I need to know is if the panel from UMB can be trimmed up making it shorter so that the Esprit body/lip above the bumper does not have to be cut. I understand the bumper never needs to be cut and it is the lip above the bumper that may. However I will not cut that lip.

So again, can the UBM panel be modified to work, regardless of the amount of work on it?
Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Thats not the bumper the its the rear shell the rear bumper isnt cut at all.
Yeah, I caught that and edited my post.

To others, the rear panel I went with does not require the modification/cutting to the part above the bumper. While this does mean another body line versus using OEM light panel, it is reversible back to OEM 1994 lights.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Understand Kenny. So the UBM panel from Thailand is the one I need, I have sent them an email thanks to your information.
Thanks!
Ron

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kenny, how much was the rear panel alone and how much was total shipping?
Ron

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Kenny, how much was the rear panel alone and how much was total shipping?
Ron
It was $278 shipped

rear round panel price $167
$ 98.00 Shipping to Texas 7-10 day
+ paypa1 fee 5%
total $278.00

Some more info for you

The silver Esprit below is with an OEM panel

The yellow is from UMB. see where the yellow has an additional line? IMHO not noteceable and with plus that can always go back to OEM lights that came with the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
It was $278 shipped

rear round panel price $167
$ 98.00 Shipping to Texas 7-10 day
+ paypa1 fee 5%
total $278.00

Some more info for you

The silver Esprit below is with an OEM panel

The yellow is from UMB. see where the yellow has an additional line? IMHO not noteceable and with plus that can always go back to OEM lights that came with the car.
I like how that top piece extends out far.

Midlife, I don't have facebook, can you see if he sells those and how much?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I like how that top piece extends out far.

Midlife, I don't have facebook, can you see if he sells those and how much?

Thanks!
Sorry, dont understand what you mean by "...top piece..." His email is in a post above so you can email them directly.

NOTE! The silver Esprit is using a LOTUS OEM light panel...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Sorry, dont understand what you mean by "...top piece..." His email is in a post above so you can email them directly.

NOTE! The silver Esprit is using a LOTUS OEM light panel...
The piece above the light panel. Looks like it extends further than the oem one I have. I will email him. Missed that part.

Thanks Kenny.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
I think Noob is talking about the top transom. I think the V8 and GT3 came with a larger transom. I'm not sure how much of a hassle it is getting the old one off

·
Registered
519 Posts
To get the top transorm off is just a few bolts from the inside not that diffuclt

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
ah! Now I understand.. Ask if they have any other views of it, i.e. from the side and top

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I still don't get the Elise style tails on the Esprit...the car is too big for them, and I really feels it makes the car look more like a kit-car...and yes, I'm aware of how ironic that sounds, considering the Toyota tails...but they are amazing!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts