The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intend to remove all the roof pieces off my 95 S4s for replacement with Alcantara fabric. One off, I then will take them to my upholsterer, vs taking the whole car.

Unlike a standard car roof, all the pieces are removable, but I suspect there is a tip, trick method to ensure no damage when removing them. The visors are straightforward, even the piece across the front windshield above the mirror, the main one fro removal help is the surround around the rear window. Even the two roof-side pieces look tricky.

I am looking for tips or a URL/site for removal of the pieces. Every wee bit of info helps please.:shrug:

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,202 Posts
On my '88, I started with the side rails. The 2 mounting screws (each side) are on the OUTSIDE of the door opening. Open the door and there they are.:clap:

Then, you can remove the header (the part with the sun visors); two more longish screws.

The rear window surround requires removal of seats and courtesy lamp; and then the lower seatbelt anchors.

I might have pics of the process at home. Let me know if I should look.

DISCLAIMER: YMMV since Lotus changed stuff over time...:shrug:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, its a good start! No need for a picture, yet.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I had my entire interior out, but I think one of the more difficult removal pieces was the frame of the rear window, for some reason I think it had something to do with removal of the seat belts if memory serves me correctly.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When I recovered mine, I did the individual parts. That way I can take the parts off without tearing up the liner should the need arise... I need to do it again as that was a decade ago... and I used a headliner material of the right color, but not very good quality...

Cameron

·
Registered
576 Posts
The 95 S4 we have has some of the interior done in Alacantara........
Looks like sh...... IMO . In general it is a poor fabric to use as it doesn't wear or clean well. I would vote for a high quality vinyl any day.

Randy

·
Registered
861 Posts
Randy,

I had my sunroof recovered in a suede-like headliner and was plannning on doing the rest of the upper trim panels in the same manner.

Then, I saw a 91 SE and its piece were factory covered in leather (not the sunroof though)....and I realized that leather is the way to go. I guess that was an option on some Esprits. It's seems that most have the upper trim pieces and rear window frame down in the light gray headliner fabric, but a few were done in leather. the leather looks more "lotus like."

·
Registered
576 Posts
Randy,

I had my sunroof recovered in a suede-like headliner and was plannning on doing the rest of the upper trim panels in the same manner.

Then, I saw a 91 SE and its piece were factory covered in leather (not the sunroof though)....and I realized that leather is the way to go. I guess that was an option on some Esprits. It's seems that most have the upper trim pieces and rear window frame down in the light gray headliner fabric, but a few were done in leather. the leather looks more "lotus like."
Actually all the Esprits we have had contact with are done in leather originally. Two '89s and a '90. Also the S4 we sold was done in leather.

As to the sunroof/headliner yes those were fabric. On my SE I took the headliner off, cleaned the fiberglass and painted it to match my exterior red. I think it looks good and adds a fraction of headroom.

Randy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts