The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to replace the vacuum pump to get heat from the heater core diverted into the cabin!(y)
However while testing I noticed the fresh air flap not moving.
What I strongly suspect is that the white nylon cam attached to the "mode" knob on the AC control panel is "slipping past" the vacuum switch arm for the fresh air flap.
pretty much whats going on in THIS VIDEO
except in the video it is an 88 with a glove box for access and the switches seem to be mounted on the bulkhead.
In the S4s, there is no glovebox and the switches seem to be mounted away from the cabin tucked behind the DERM airbag module.
I suspect im going to have to loosen/remove the DERM to access the switches but wanted to ask if anyone had a thought about access otherwise or the general problem.

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
870 Posts
If you take the front trunk plastic cover off the fresh air vent assembly you can get a little access. Proabably not enough. I have mine off currently and will try to shoot a pic and post later

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,906 Posts
Have you investigated access if the radio head unit is removed? IIRC the vacuum actuators are right behind it. Kind of narrow opening though.

At 4:33 in the video you can see the white nylon caps, they have been known to fall off or not contact the actuator cams. At 9:15 you can see the actual issue. (I'd apply a drop of glue to the shaft, to resist any movement of that cap in the future.)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
I will try to post pics and video(?) later to show the issue. The stereo and little cigarette cubby have been removed. It looks like there is no realistic access from either footwell or the boot :confused:. I looks like if I could get the airbag controller unit out of the way I could at least see whats back there. I dont want to have to go through the SIR safety shutdown/ reinstall procedure when doing that may not even help and might make things worse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts