The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic front of the gauge broke off and it looks like I could glue it back together. What is the best way to get the gauge out? I am assuming it snaps in from the front using the metal clips on the side. If I need to take the dash out how is that done?

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
I believe it is the same setup as the S4. You just need to pull off the black binnacle cover. Two smaller screws under the front lower edge on each side, and a larger long bolt under neath the dash in the location of the center of the leading edge of the binnacle where it bolts to the dash. For the latter you need to get on your back in the footwell and look up with a flashlight.

Randy

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Do yourself a favor and take the time to undo the 4 bolts holding the seat down and remove it from the car. Wow is it a pain to get under there with the seat in.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Sanj for the binnacle instructions - I didn't recognize the bolt until I saw the photo since it was about the same OD as the standoff. Getting the binnicle out was easy but I had a tough time getting it back in. The first bolt I found was for the windshield washer fluid. I thought I would need to take out the seat but didn't need to. I ended up using contact cement to fix it. Screwing the bracket on the back was a real pain, too.

I'm glad I did this for another reason: one vent tube was disconnected inside, keeping the instruments cool instead of the cabin.

This is such a great site: don't you wish the rest of life was so quick, helpful, and friendly!

·
Registered
47 Posts
1995 Esprit S4s and 1997 Esprit V8's had Caerbont Gauges (previously made Smith's). They are not VDO...though NHS may still be able to fix it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts