The Lotus Cars Community banner

161 - 180 of 189 Posts

·
Integrator
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Bleeding AC Delco ABS system

Here is a nice gadget for bleeding ABS brakes.
Search on eBay for Kent Moore J-37115 Bleeder Adapter.
They used to cost hundreds of $$, but with time, prices came down quite a bit.

If you need a pressure tester gauge to go with it, search for J-37118

·
Integrator
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #163 (Edited)
Raid steering wheel in my S4s

For a long time I have been wondering why my fine British super-car was outfitted with an ugly GM Pontiac steering wheel.
To add injury to insult, "OEM" wheel was not color coordinated with the interior.

I have reviewed several possibilities and came to the conclusion that Raid wheel would fit the bill.
Although Elise and Evora wheels are very nice, both look too "modern" for my taste.
I found this leather/CF wheel on ebay. Sometimes, one gets lucky...

Attachments

·
Integrator
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #164 (Edited)
When working on your fuel pump always remove the pulsator damper and replace the connecting hose, no matter how "Good" it looks.
Use ONLY "submersible" or Fluoroelastomer (Viton) hoses. Gates 27093 is 5/16"dia. Do not use non submersion rated fuel lines inside the fuel tank as the outside will get eaten over time and you will have a very bad day.

Regular fuel hoses have gasoline resistant ID layer, BUT the outside skin is NOT SUITABLE for continuous petrol immersion.

Caution: I don't know if all SAE 30R10 spec hoses are submersible! Check the inscription on the hose.
Pictures: raulg, 97 Esprit

Attachments

·
Integrator
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #165 (Edited)
See posting #43 of this thread.

Ford M-6880, or 89TM6884, 90 Deg Filter Adapter designed and prototyped by Member of this forum, EspriS4

Adapter was widely used on 94-01 4.0L V6 engines (Explorer, Ranger, Aerostar)
Be sure that the "banjo" bolt has 3/4"-16 thread and the filter mount has the "right" offset, (away from the block).
The only required modification is "twisting" the plenum stay to clear the filter barrel.

Another beneficial mod is MOCAL thermostatic sandwich plate, MOTC B-3, which allows your engine oil to come up to the working temperature (85C) faster and helps keeping start-up pressures higher. https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/36290-oil-stat/

For more pictures of the conversion, see below:
Zig's Corner / Esprit Oil Filter Adapter | Lotuscorps Gallery
Addendum to posting #43 of this thread:
Particular attention has to be paid when sourcing the large O-ring. Never use any silicone in oil installations! Only Nitrile rubber (NBR), or Viton.
Most of the commercially available O-ring cross-sections are too thin. Minimum 3.5mm or thicker should be used. This is a potential leak area!
Someone suggested using rectangular sealing rings pulled out of old oil filters. Some of them are quite tall. If I remember correctly (Due Diligence required!), I pulled mine off the Mobile-1 filter.
Smaller O-rings are Viton (fluoroelastomer) parts from the eBay.

Also Important: There are a couple of different versions of this adapter. Use only the "right offset" part, which moves filter AWAY from the block, as shown below.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
In the event anyone is looking for one of these 90 degree adaptors, I have one (with O-rings) that I'd be willing to part with....

Bob

·
Integrator
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
There are several batteries, which may fit Esprit tub. Largest battery I could (successfully) fit in S4s trunk is Group 24F flat deck (no vents protruding above the deck) Duracell. No idea why it is marked "F", not "R", but +terminal is on the right (closest to the center line of the trunk) and in forward position.
890A @32 deg, [email protected], 120 min reserve, 10.3" wide x 6.8" deep x 9" high.

Group48(H6) AGM battery perhaps/possibly may fit. I will verify it next week.

Esprit is an electricity hog. Depending on accessories load, the current required to idle may be in excess of 40A.
Large capacity battery provides necessary reserve when you are stuck in the traffic.

Attachments

·
Integrator
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
24F battery was too tall. 48(H6) AGM battery fits perfectly!
In order to preserve ECU correction maps, hook up a regulated power supply (NOT a regular battery charger!) to your cigar lighter receptacle before removing your old battery. You'll have a continuous power to the ECU preserving its "learned" settings and maps.

·
Integrator
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #169 (Edited)
In real life, the "obvious" is not that obvious!

I's obvious, that that performance of the engine will improve when incoming charge temperature is lowered. This gain is worth almost ~0.7 HP/ 1 degree F in the linear band of the characteristic before turbo efficiency drops.
It's obvious, that making a chargecooler colder will work to our advantage. Higher coolant volume flow is critical, so is a higher volume and pressure (electric) pump.

So, what is not obvious, you may ask.
Well, if we ask a question "what size is the intercooler feed line on Esprit" , 90% answers will be 5/8".
Except, the laminar flow in 5/8" system delivers perhaps only 10mm stream of coolant!
Upon a closer examination, components of our CC bcooling system have much smaller internal diameters and generate a huge resistance to flow.
For example, our metal 5/8" tubes actually measure 12.5-13mm and hoses 14mm I.D., or less.
> Laminar flow occurs when the fluid flows in infinitesimal parallel layers with no disruption between them. In laminar flows, fluid layers slide in parallel, with no eddies, swirls or currents normal to the flow itself. This type of flow is also referred to as streamline flow because it is characterized by non-crossing streamlines <<
The common application of laminar flow would be in the smooth flow of a viscous liquid through a tube or pipe. In that case, the velocity of flow varies from zero at the walls to a maximum along the center line of the vessel. The flow profile of laminar flow in a tube can be calculated by dividing the flow into thin cylindrical elements and applying the viscous force to them.

Under conditions of laminar flow in a viscous fluid, the velocity increases toward the center of a tube.

Q: How we can improve flow of coolant to C/C on our cars?
A: By lowering resistance (R) of the whole system

R=8nL/3.14xr^4

Let's compare fluid of the same viscosity flowing in the same tube length(L) in three different pipe diameter circuits.
a) Assuming, the "base" is (so called) 5/8" dia OE system, which consists of ~12-14' of 12.5mm metal tube.
b) If we increase diameter of the tube to 3/4" (16.5mm I.D. cross section), the resistance goes down 3 times! 65% improvement.
c) If we further increase diameter of the tube to 1" (21.5mm I.D.), the resistance will be 8.8 times lower! A whopping 88% improvement!

Even if we don't change the I.D. of the inlet nipples on C/C and HE, a much larger volume of fluid will be presented at the inlet of each!

Concluding:
an upgrade of the OE C/C circuit to 3/4" or 1" dia tubing/hoses offers immediate benefits without increasing the boost limit.

Here is Dave's ("Changes") CC with 1" in/out.

and his installation

·
Registered
554 Posts
It would be interesting to pull the exit tube loose and measure the volume out for a given time and then put the larger tube on the inlet side and see what the difference is. I fear the constriction through the CC would be the limiter?

Speaking of CC. I saw recently that Alunox is coming out with a stock size CC that is I am sure much more efficient than the OEM. Be curious to see the specs when they post it on their web site.

·
Integrator
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #171 (Edited)
It would be interesting to pull the exit tube loose and measure the volume out for a given time and then put the larger tube on the inlet side and see what the difference is. I fear the constriction through the CC would be the limiter?

Speaking of CC. I saw recently that Alunox is coming out with a stock size CC that is I am sure much more efficient than the OEM. Be curious to see the specs when they post it on their web site.
It all depends what electric pump you install.

There is PLENTY of information here and on Lotus Forums.

See
https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/intercooling-bosch-injected-non-chargecooled-engine.263233/page-3

·
Integrator
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #173 (Edited)
Possible leaning out cyl #1 and #4 at WOT?

PO had a silicone vac hose failure at the T located under the chargecooler causing excessive IM oil mist ingestion from the crankcase vent system. Walls of the IM plenum were thick with the oil deposit. When I opened the plenum, I saw a strange "wash" pattern.
Secondary injector spray cone is "shrouded" by the injector nest bore edge resulting in poor fuel mist distribution.
Countermeasures applied: enlarged the diffuser slot, chamfer injector bore edges and add the "plow" air director to create (hopefully) a vertical swirl toward #1 & #4 throats.
Your thoughts?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Nice!

Great welding. Love to see before and after dyno plots to see what changed. I wonder if it improved the torque curve etc. Does it run smoother, idle better?

Oh wait those injectors dont come on until you are into the higher RPM/Boost ranges so no change in Idle.

·
Integrator
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
WARNING: ESPRIT FUEL LINES ARE a FIRE HAZARD

If you don't want your Esprit to look like this poor fella below, REPLACE the black plastic fuel supply lines with AN6 steel/Kevlar braided lines.

It is a small, but very effective investment.
If your line becomes "mis-routed", it will rub against adjacent components and burst.

It should look like this

Preferably all fittings black or red.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Oh My I was bending those black lines around the other day. Thinking they were a bit fragile.

Do you have a BOM for the Aero quip so I can one and done on the order?

Or do any of the parts houses provide a solution off the shelf? I will have a look around.

161 - 180 of 189 Posts