The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
'95 S4s & '79 JPS #040
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Recently I split transaxle case on my S4s along with bearing retaining plate bolts on backend.

Is there a way to remove the 2 main shafts without pulling 5th speed drive gear along with its driven gear?

It looks like they should be able to be lift out, by lifting out secondary shaft first, by no such luck. :unsure:

Thanks, Rich
'95 S4s ...SHF63000
'79 JPS #040

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
The short answer is NO. The 5th gear assembly has to come off. Remove the 2 big nuts and take it all apart. To loosen the big nuts put it into 2 gears at once to lock up the transmission.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

Recently I split transaxle case on my S4s along with bearing retaining plate bolts on backend.

Is there a way to remove the 2 main shafts without pulling 5th speed drive gear along with its driven gear?

It looks like they should be able to be lift out, by lifting out secondary shaft first, by no such luck. :unsure:

Thanks, Rich
'95 S4s ...SHF63000
'79 JPS #040

Hi,

I would like some tips on jacking points on my Esprit S2.

Thanks,

John Harris

·
'95 S4s & '79 JPS #040
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The short answer is NO. The 5th gear assembly has to come off. Remove the 2 big nuts and take it all apart. To loosen the big nuts put it into 2 gears at once to lock up the transmission.
David Teitelbaum
Go to know. Thanks.

Also, I am looking for the side mounting bracket for the transaxle, the rightside when siting in the car. Anyone have one for sale?

Thanks,
Rich
'95 S4s ...SHF63000
'79 JPs #040

1 - 4 of 4 Posts