The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
You get the front wheel spigot diameter bored to 60mm. the hub spigot is slightly smaller to account for tolerances. The hole has to be concentric, since the wheels are hub-centric, they rely on the fit to that hub spigot to hold the wheels concentric to the hub. You will need a machinist who can do that part correctly on a CNC mill. Not a hole saw!

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I swapped my 60mm hubs for 58mm hubs to maintain the wheel integrity.

If you're going to remove metal, would it be easier to machine the hub from 60mm to 58mm? Or does it remove metal from a more critical area than the wheel being bored?

Lastly, someone mentioned that he had spacers installed that allowed an inside spacer hole of 60mm with an outer spacer surface with a 58mm hub centric ridge. No mod to hub or wheel.

If you're going to put spacers to line up with your fender lips, that may be a less drastic mod.

Eddie
The hub spigot is thin already, taking 2mm out of it could seriously weaken it. However taking 2mm out of the wheel does nothing to the strength.

Out of curiosity I just measured my hub and wheels.

My hub spigot is 59.97mm at the largest point, and my V8 front wheel bore is 60.20 as machined to fit my hub spigots (measured with inside bore telescoping gauges). They fit without any issue. You do need a generous chamfer on the wheel bore to fit though. The root of the hub spigot has a fillet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts