The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Church of the Three Sisters is a monthly spirited drive along one of the Hill Country's most glorious runs, open to all makes and models of sportscars.

Our route features many twisted roads and elevation changes with a few nice deserted straights for good measure. Although this is a technically challenging circuit, there's absolutely no pressure for anyone to drive faster than they're comfortable - we wait for the entire group at each waypoint before moving onward. It's a gorgeous drive at any speed.

Maps are distributed before our departure each month. Total time averages four to five hours, driven conservatively.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Drive Report | Sunday August 3

Announcement

8.00 - Elapsed Time

60.0 Average speed
3.00 Idle Time

Attendance
(2) Acura NSX
(1) Lotus Elise S2
(1) Nismo 350Z
(1) Nissan 300ZX
(2) Nissan 350Z

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Drive Report | Sunday September 1

Announcement

Drive Time
1.07 - Waypoint 1
0.17 - Waypoint 2
1.32 - Waypoint 5
1.22 - Finish
4.46 - Elapsed Time

60.3 Average Speed
0.28 Idle Time

Attendance
(1) Lotus Elise S2

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Drive Report | Sunday October 12

Announcement

Drive Time
1.01 - Waypoint 1
0.18 - Waypoint 2
0.22 - Waypoint 3
0.39 - Waypoint 4
0.26 - Waypoint 5
0.18 - Waypoint 6
1.10 - Finish
5.34 - Elapsed Time

60.6 Average Speed
1.20 Idle Time

Attendance
(1) Chevrolet Corvette C6
(1) Ferrari 348TS
(5) Lotus Elise S2
(1) Lotus Exige S2
(1) Porsche 924S

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Pictures | Sunday October 12

Courtesy styler24

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

Courtesy styler24

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Courtesy Kim Lowry

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Courtesy Kim Lowry

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Video | Sunday October 12

Courtesy Kim Lowry
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VV8kPQ6FmE8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VV8kPQ6FmE8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i8arbOz_b2E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i8arbOz_b2E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
74 Posts
Great pictures M...,

Now I remember why my car got so dirty. What a beautiful drive!

fastfred

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Church of Three Sisters is an outstanding drive. This route just screams excellence after every bend. Aside from the climbing hills and continuous twisties, the scenery is breathtaking.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Looks like fun. I wish I could make it but I need to be in Lubbock this weekend. :(

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Drive Report | Sunday November 16

Announcement

Drive Time
0.59 - Waypoint 1
0.15 - Waypoint 2
0.20 - Waypoint 3
0.26 - Waypoint 4
0.22 - Waypoint 5
0.17 - Waypoint 6
1.15 - Finish
6.03 - Elapsed Time

67.1 Average Speed
2.09 Idle Time

Attendance
(1) Ferrari 348TS
(1) Fiat 124 Sport Spider 2000
(4) Lotus Elise S2
(1) Porsche 924S

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
My brother and I had a great time today, thanks for doing such a great job organizing this.

Bill, I hope you got things properly sorted. I meant to call you on my way back to see if you needed any help but then I remembered I forgot to get your number. I guess (hope) everything went well for you and that you would have called if you needed something.

On a side note, I got tagged by the local constable on the way home. Oh well....

See you folks next month.

Joe

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On a side note, I got tagged by the local constable on the way home. Oh well....
...where and how badly?..

...we had quite the body count today: at least three people who missed waking, the ferrari and porsche mechanical failures, one stone-shattered elise foglight, your ticket, and one elise run off the road by the cast of deliverance taking umbrage at being passed - it could have been worse if we'd stepped out of our cars when they taunted us settle things...

...battle scars to be worn with pride, i say - and all the more reason to keep moving as early as possible, too...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Good God! Sounds like it was not a good day all around. Who was run off the road? Any resultant damage?

I was only going 76 when I crested a hill on 337. When I saw the wide open road and only a lonely pickup in the on coming lane, I had no choice but to stretch my legs. Turns out the pickup was the constable and his red and blue flashing lights put a sudden stop to my acceleration at 87. He was a fine gentleman and actually made a few funnies. He told him I was just out for a Sunday drive and he told me that was the reason he was out there. He said I was going a little slow for a Lotus. :D I tried to use that to escape the impending ticket, to no avail. He told me that he usually clocks folks in the triple digits and that just last week he pulled over a guy in a 200-$300k exotic, but he couldn't remember what kind it was, obviously not a car guy ;).

One other piece of advice is that he said I needed a front license plate. He said its a $300 ticket and that he usually lets folks go a few times but after the 3rd time or so he pulls over a car he writes them up. I told him that I didn't want to install a plate because of the hindrance it would cause to the airflow to the radiator and I asked him if I could put it in my window. He said it's not technically acceptable but that he would let it go. He did warn that other officers may not.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
...337 between leakey and vanderpool, or from vanderpool back toward medina and bandera?..i've often seen police east of vanderpool, but never from the twisty bit of 337 westward...

...coming in on the return loop, a truck pulled slowly pulled into a passing zone as i approached at speed, so i signalled and flowed around him, no worries, but suspiciously lost everyone from my rearview mirror shortly thereafter...it turned out that the truck took offense at being passed - probably oblivious to my approach - and swerved back and forth between lanes to block the next elise following behind me...eventually the truck slowed enough in the right lane to tentatively allow a pass, but as the elise carefully pulled forward in the left lane the truck swerved leftwards again, pushing it a good ten feet off the road to avoid a collision...

...no notable damage that we could readily detect afterward, just lots of grass in the grill, wheels, brakes, and such...later on, the truck followed us to a stop and tried to taunt us out of our cars for a physical altercation - i wish we'd gotten a plate number to file assault charges, but unfortunately in the heat of the moment none of us were clear-thinking enough to take note of it, heck, i was oblivious to what they were shouting at me about until after they left and the other drivers explained to me what had transpired in my wake...

...if we'd been on motorcyles instead of in sportscars when run off the road, there's a good chance the rider could have been seriously injured...

1 - 20 of 115 Posts