The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are Snell certifications on helmets good for 10 years? I know it'd probably be ideal to buy a SA2005 at this point but is the SA2000 only good for the next 2 years until 2010? I heard most clubs let you backdate 2 generations i.e. some people are still using Snell 95 and ok for now.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Probably best to get a SA2005 as some clubs require it, others will let you run SA2000 or even SA95.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Depends on the club / sanctioning body. For example, BMWCCA's rule is:

"All helmets must be rated at least the current Snell rating or the immediate prior rating (i.e., if currently available standard is Snell 2005, then Snell 2000 is required). A one-year grace period applies after general introduction of the current standard."

So in practice, an the SA95 went out of use last year (two generations = SA2005 + one year = 2006) and the current SA05 is good until 2011

·
Registered
337 Posts
I should also have mentioned the little known "hygiene rule" ....... 11 years of sweaty helmet head :eek:

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Safety First

For safety sake please allow me to mention, that unless there has been an improvement in materials that I am not aware of, the impact absorbing layer of helmet dries out over time. This reduces or even eliminates the energy absorbing qualities that helmets need. :wallbang: IMHO this should be what determines a helmets life span. I get a new one every seven years regardless of the snell date. Better safe.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The impact absorbing layer is the polystyrene foam on the inside - I think this is fine over time - I don't think "drying out" is a factor.

The problem over time is cumulative knocks and bumps and UV exposure deterioration to the exterior shell of the helmet - and this is more of a problem for day-to-day helmets like motorcycles. For occasional track use I still think the limiting factor is the smell :crazyeyes

·
Registered
453 Posts
Safety First

The impact absorbing layer is the polystyrene foam on the inside - I think this is fine over time - I don't think "drying out" is a factor.

The problem over time is cumulative knocks and bumps and UV exposure deterioration to the exterior shell of the helmet - and this is more of a problem for day-to-day helmets like motorcycles. For occasional track use I still think the limiting factor is the smell :crazyeyes

You are correct Chris in that cumulative knocks and especially a big hit can render a helmet ineffective. Thanks for bringing that up. :up:

Please understand that I am very careful posting regarding safety.
Many people do not realize that the materials in a helmet degrade over time,this is why I mentioned it.
Below I have posted a piece from the FAQ on the Snell Foundation website. http://www.smf.org/

Why should you replace your helmet every five years?
The five year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both the helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production over can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

Let's remember, it's about safety and fun, in that order. See You guys out there! :shift:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thanks for the correction :bow: and the detail :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts