The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just put the Sachs suspension on my car and am very happy with it.
So.........
I am selling the Sachs Adjustable Coil Over Suspension for the Elise and Exige.

$1495 for the set. For the time being I will include shipping in the USA for free.

In stock and I accept Paypal.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do they compare to Nitrons, if you know?
Ok..just got back.

I am certainly no expert, but I have been doing research and this is what I have acertained. This is besides the fact that I LOVE how the car handles now. Wow...does it handle fantastic. A complete transformation.

Anyways.

The difference as I see it.

The nitrons are a set of race shocks. One spring rate. Yes you can adjust them to different stiff ness and some even have 3 adjustments and they are quite a bit more than $1495. (almost double I think) I dont have any issue with them if I was going to use the car mostly on the track. They are great shocks for that purpose. I honestly dont think you can compare the two if you are going racing. It is like comparing the Elise to a Caterham. One is for one purpose and one is for another.

I think it depends on how you use you car or how you are going to use it. I see the Sachs as giving a little of the best of both worlds.

I also compare the Sachs to the original LSS shocks The Sachs are fully adjustable as to ride height like the LSS shocks. But the Sachs are also adjustable to the stiffness. You can dial in (I think) 21 different settings. Plus the Sachs have a progressive spring. At normal ride the suspension is much more comfortable then my standard shocks were and a way lot better than the LSS shocks I have driven on other guys cars.

Remember the standard shocks are not adjustable in any way so there is just not comparison there.

With the Sachs, The faster you go into a corner the more the spring compresses and the coils are tigher or stiffer at the bottom so the more you push....the more stiff you get. I can not believe the difference. Great ride and great handling.

Plus you can adjust them easily on the car by just turning a red adjusting valve.

I had mine set at 4 all the way around on the way home from Detroit tonight. I wanted to try them little stiffer and in 5 min I had adjusted them all. Right at the gas pump when I stopped for gas in London Ontario. 5 min....I tuned them up to 8 all the way around.

There is one more thing. I am not going to mention any names here but I have beeb told that there have been issues with other "aftermarket" shocks needing to be rebuilt after 2 years or so.

ZF Sachs is a MAJOR supplier to almost all the German car makes. These shocks are SOLID and I dont expect there will be any issues even after years of use. ZF Sachs supplies the shocks for the a lot of the LeMans cars and after 24 hours racing their shocks still hold up.

Let me say something else. I guard my Lotus reputation with great vigor. I am not just saying I like these to sell shocks. I truly think these are fantastic. I got on this "shock kick" because I went to see the guy that bought my Caterham a few weekends ago. He told me that after he put on good pair of adjustable shocks, he knocked 4 seconds off his time at Limerock. So I started thinking......

I am just amazed at the difference over my standard shocks. Yes I did have to get it aligned again and corner balanced, (that is where I was today) but I think the real difference is the shocks.

I think this is the best upgrade I have done to my car so far.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Tony, how far did the Sachs lower your car? I have them on mine and I really had to crank down the spring perches to keep it from dropping too low (I'd like to raise it up a bit). I suppose I have a bit more room to tighten them, but I don't want the upper spring coils to touch.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm confused, what is the difference between the "Sachs Adjustable Coil Over Suspension" and the "Sachs suspension"? I thought there was just one Sachs suspension that was sold by sector111 (no longer available).

·
Registered
433 Posts
21 settings ?

You brought up a point I wonder about. I have the Sachs adjustables on my 2005 Elise. There seem to be 26 clicks (detents) through the travel from top to bottom. Where is your starting point? Do you consider "0" to be 13 from the top?
Also, the rear shock adjustment bezel rubs on the lower mount bracket when softening the setting beyond the 13 clicks from the top. Any pointers and instructions appreciated.
These shocks certainly are more comfortable on the street than the LSS were and still good to dial up for the track.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have these too, its 21 .
The back does rub a bit but you could file away a little material from the lower a arm. I have found that you can adjust it all the way with a little strength.
These shocks / springs are great for the street if you want a softer setting than the LSS but also want something you can dial beyond what LSS can do.
I have found that the LSS has a way of hopping around on bad bumps in the road where the sachs seem to settle the car faster allowing for more high speed control.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tony, how far did the Sachs lower your car? I have them on mine and I really had to crank down the spring perches to keep it from dropping too low (I'd like to raise it up a bit). I suppose I have a bit more room to tighten them, but I don't want the upper spring coils to touch.
I have mine set up to 132mm both front and back measured at the jacking point on the side of the car for the back height and about 2 foot foward for the front measurement.

It is normal for the top springs to get "squished" down. I asked the same question. I was told that is the nature of the progressive spring.

I put these on my car and set the ride height at 135mm. I then took the car to Auto Europe for a full corner wieghting and alignment. I recommend that is a necessary step.

Charles set mine up to run at 132mm.

Anything less than 122 or 120 and the wheels will rub on the inner fenders, especially at a track day. They will rub on the headlight area.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm confused, what is the difference between the "Sachs Adjustable Coil Over Suspension" and the "Sachs suspension"? I thought there was just one Sachs suspension that was sold by sector111 (no longer available).
Same product. These are ZF Sachs Coil Overs.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
I have the same thing ( in fact, I think I talked Tony into getting them ) and I absolutely LOVE them. The car handles incredible even at 8/10 settings and AD07's Cant' wait to try them with the AO48's and 3/5 Charles set mine up at 130 mm. :coolnana::coolnana::nanner:

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the same thing ( in fact, I think I talked Tony into getting them ) and I absolutely LOVE them. The car handles incredible even at 8/10 settings and AD07's Cant' wait to try them with the AO48's and 3/5 Charles set mine up at 130 mm. :coolnana::coolnana::nanner:
yes you did. For which I am very thankful. I have an exit here in WNY. It goes from the 190 South to the 290 East. Just south of Grand Island NY. (site of LOG23).

I usually take the exit like at 60-70. Car makes it but it is not that sure.
it is postes at like 35.

I took it on the way home....entered at 70 and increased my speed as I got out of it....car was rock solid. Could not believe it. It was astounding.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
I think this setup is GREAT for track days !! if you're only going to track it 5-8 times a year, it's perfect !

·
Registered
184 Posts
I doubt it, the last post is over 2 years old!!

I have a used set of these though if your interested. 1 of the rears was damp so I assume it needs or will need rebuilt (new seal? o-ring? ) , I was gonna send it to Sachs for rebuild but as usual I never got around to it . I bought them used for a backup set but they have just been setting and setting. I would take $500 shipped if you want them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts