The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As with most new cars made today, you can't really discern between them. They are all just cars that sort of look cool for a day, but end up just blending in with the daily mundane routine. Tools. Nothing more. Soulless.

Saw a new XF(Black 4-door) on the highway this afternoon, and it is just...ugly ugly. Ugly beyond aesthetics. Its lack of character would make it ugly to a blind man.

I had high hopes. Loved what I read about it. But it is in no way a Jaguar. Not classically high class at all. Not...anything at all.

I caught it coming towards me a 1/2 mile away. Only because I have a passive radar system in my mind that recognized all vehicles, and prioritizes the top 10 at any given moment. Much like the Apache Helicopter Gunship. :cool:. Surely not because it was good looking, or fast moving, or....anything at all. Maybe because it was new, and I have yet to see one...Maybe.

A couple things that I quickly noted on:

1. Headlights. Usually, particularly on good cars, the front of the car commands the presence of a face(a deluge of examples should come to any car enthusiasts mind). Trying to think of a metaphor for this, I can't. The headlights of the XF are just that. Headlights. They don't even create the face of a dumb, dopey eyed child that only a mother loves(sort of what the new XK looks like). I wanted to describe them as "wide-eyed", but even at that, they are not.

2. Roof Line. I now know why the pictures don't show a proper front 3/4 picture. The thing is grossly huge looking. It sure looks like it is sleek in pictures, but for some reason, out on the road, it just looked boxy. And on the same note, the shiny trim that borders the windows is a major detractor of elegance. If there is any that can be detracted.

It is understandable, however, as this is one of the first of many baby steps that lead into a more modern Jaguar brand. But this simply isn't going to be a car that we have come to know and love Jaguar to be.

When you see this car on the road, you don't think, "Oh look, a Jaguar. Classic.", you think, "Oh look, another modern styled car." A name isn't conjured. Nor is an image of grace and elegance. A few things that every Jaguar should make you think about. I nearly wouldn't even be able to recognize it if I hadn't caught a glimpse of the badge on the grille.

But the main reason is see this as a sad day for Jaguar is that they have finally built a car that has no soul. And a Jaguar without a soul is just another tool for the masses. Something a Jaguar should never be.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
As with most new cars made today, you can't really discern between them. They are all just cars that sort of look cool for a day, but end up just blending in with the daily mundane routine. Tools. Nothing more. Soulless.

Saw a new XF(Black 4-door) on the highway this afternoon, and it is just...ugly ugly. Ugly beyond aesthetics. Its lack of character would make it ugly to a blind man.

I had high hopes. Loved what I read about it. But it is in no way a Jaguar. Not classically high class at all. Not...anything at all.

I caught it coming towards me a 1/2 mile away. Only because I have a passive radar system in my mind that recognized all vehicles, and prioritizes the top 10 at any given moment. Much like the Apache Helicopter Gunship. :cool:. Surely not because it was good looking, or fast moving, or....anything at all. Maybe because it was new, and I have yet to see one...Maybe.

A couple things that I quickly noted on:

1. Headlights. Usually, particularly on good cars, the front of the car commands the presence of a face(a deluge of examples should come to any car enthusiasts mind). Trying to think of a metaphor for this, I can't. The headlights of the XF are just that. Headlights. They don't even create the face of a dumb, dopey eyed child that only a mother loves(sort of what the new XK looks like). I wanted to describe them as "wide-eyed", but even at that, they are not.

2. Roof Line. I now know why the pictures don't show a proper front 3/4 picture. The thing is grossly huge looking. It sure looks like it is sleek in pictures, but for some reason, out on the road, it just looked boxy. And on the same note, the shiny trim that borders the windows is a major detractor of elegance. If there is any that can be detracted.

It is understandable, however, as this is one of the first of many baby steps that lead into a more modern Jaguar brand. But this simply isn't going to be a car that we have come to know and love Jaguar to be.

When you see this car on the road, you don't think, "Oh look, a Jaguar. Classic.", you think, "Oh look, another modern styled car." A name isn't conjured. Nor is an image of grace and elegance. A few things that every Jaguar should make you think about. I nearly wouldn't even be able to recognize it if I hadn't caught a glimpse of the badge on the grille.

But the main reason is see this as a sad day for Jaguar is that they have finally built a car that has no soul. And a Jaguar without a soul is just another tool for the masses. Something a Jaguar should never be.
You mean the Jaguar model built on the Ford Taurus platform didn't ruin Jaguar for you?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew someone would make a crack about any jag built under ford.

And, as an aside, this is a prime example of what marketing does for a company. This car is contrary to everything that has ever been pumped into my brain about Jaguar. And its clearly effecting my point of view on it. I have no doubt that if I drove it, I would love it for what it is. But the fact remains that it isn't what I believe a Jaguar to be. Even if that is only because of what marketing has led me to believe.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I knew someone would make a crack about any jag built under ford.
and probably the last......didn't Ford just sell Jag and Land Rover?

i saw one a few weeks ago, silver, and agree 100%. the car definitley lacks the typical character

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I have seen and sat in the XF and think it is a nice looking car. It's not as low as a CLS but the CLS has a totally useless backseat for adults and the XF sits a 6 footer comfortably. IMO it's a good departure and a bold move for Jaguar and better looking than a 5er, E or A6.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
It was either go modern or remain glued to the past and try to appeal to those seeking classic Jaguar styling. In fact, that's exactly what Jaguar did and failed miserably.

This new XF looks athletic and muscular, what a Jag really is. I'd reserve all criticism for the test drive.

·
Registered
256 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Yup. Looks like a cheap Infiniti. It looks nothing like the concept car... or an Aston Martin.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It looks just like the cars it competes against: The Infiniti M and the ES Lexus. The X Type is a terrible car, but at least Ford look a Contour and made it look like a Jaguar. The XF is just the opposite. It's a proper Jaguar made to look like a Maxima. It just looks Japanese and I'm sure that's how it will drive. The real shame is that Jaguar has such a tradition of beautiful cars from the SS to the E type to the XJ.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
All of the new Jaguars(last 5-6 years+) look plasticky and cheap. I am guessing that it's the Ford influence.???. Production line cost cutting is evident everywhere on the cars when you look close. The way a lot of things are fitted makes mis-alignment acceptable. Flat surface mounted vents, etc..
Apparently Ford and Saturn have now jumped on the chromie front fender vent bandwagon (makes me want to vomit:drool:). The faux vents look pimpy and cheap on the Jaguars and the fact that low line manufacturers are using the styling cue makes it completley unacceptable on a Jag..:thwack:
THE worst thing about a Jag though is the seats(flat and uncomfortable)and the ergonomics(horrible at best). The british luxury car industry has always believed in the "if it is not stuffy, upright, and uncomfortable then it can't be upperclass" mentality.....

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I'd disagree. I went and drove the 430 hp supercharged version about three weeks ago. I loved it, inside and out. :shrug:

·
Registered
485 Posts
In pictures this car looks amazing and I could not wait to see one in person at the NY autoshow.

When I actually saw it I thought it looked horrible and cheap. .:huh::shrug:

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
In pictures this car looks amazing and I could not wait to see one in person at the NY autoshow.

When I actually saw it I thought it looked horrible and cheap. .:huh::shrug:
You are right. Anyone with a trained automotive eye can see that they are cheap looking up close. I's in the small details..
And that HUGE chrome strip between the tailights(Geeze!!!)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts