The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up this morning, ready for a nice ride to work. My mind was pre-occupied by thoughts of detailing my baby when I get home. I already had everything planned out. Then a heard a crunch.

I had turned into a pole, scratching my door up, and wrecking my side mirror. Sad day:(.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Wow, that's too bad. Did the door to body gap change?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Is the mirror still hanging on? Mine got hit by a kicked up tire on the interstate last year. It whacked the mirror so hard it flipped around and was totally jacked up looking. I pulled off the next ramp and spent about 20 minutes fiddling with it. I was able to actually get it back on and looking fine. I never would have thought I could be put back to normal but I was able to, it just took a while lining it back up and twisting it right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't checked the gap yet, that little setback made me late for work. I'm going to run down there over lunch and check it out. I'm hoping it's not too bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the mirror still hanging on? Mine got hit by a kicked up tire on the interstate last year. It whacked the mirror so hard it flipped around and was totally jacked up looking. I pulled off the next ramp and spent about 20 minutes fiddling with it. I was able to actually get it back on and looking fine. I never would have thought I could be put back to normal but I was able to, it just took a while lining it back up and twisting it right.
The bracket that the ball sits in shattered, those pieces now reside inside my car. Hoping I can replace the bracket without losing the whole mirror.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Sorry to hear. Dare I use the cliche, "it'll buff right out?" seeing as how it actually might? I'm no body shop expert or detailer but it mostly looks like paint transfer.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Bummer to hear.

I've got an extra mirror and plinth if interested.

It's Saffron Yellow, but you the rattle can to match from Automotive Touch Up would work perfectly (their stuff is awesome).

Let me know if interested and hopefully no door gap issues!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Happens to the best of us...

The paint transfer actually looks like it will buff out. Try claying it using detailing spray as a lubricant first (with something like meguiars clay kit) and then follow up a with light polish (even meguiars scratch X would probably do the trick).

Hopefully it's not too bad.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
^what he said.

properly wash/clean the area, then try clay barring the paint transfer. This should get most of it off. I heard of shops using mineral spirits or paint thinner to wipe that stuff off (not sure i'd try this) After you get the Yellow stuff off, you can correct/buff out any scratches/dull spots with a polisher and compound.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Sorry to hear.
Not sure what exactly broke on the mirror, but do a search for "Rover 200 95 00 mirror".
They are cheap in the UK and can be modified to fit the Elige.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
It could be worse!

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
511 Posts
Does this mean we have to call you Tantramsky?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Definitely try using Meguiar's Scratch X...I've had some real good luck with it and I believe that with a little persistence with a microfiber towel, most, if not all, of that yellow will come off. With a little luck, might not be bad at all when you're done. If you're really lucky, it may just completely rub out leaving just the mirror to deal with. :)

We've all been there before...wishing you the very best!

Roy

·
Registered
685 Posts
^what he said.

properly wash/clean the area, then try clay barring the paint transfer. This should get most of it off. I heard of shops using mineral spirits or paint thinner to wipe that stuff off (not sure i'd try this) After you get the Yellow stuff off, you can correct/buff out any scratches/dull spots with a polisher and compound.
Goof off might be mineral spirits, not sure. But Goof off will take all that yellow off, just quickly follow it with soap and water and wax.

Oh, sorry for your booboo

1 - 20 of 22 Posts