The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. I finally did it, but now I feel absolutely terrible. I made the mistake yesterday by stopping by a local Jaguar dealer to test drive the V8 F-Type.
The car's performance and styling blew me away and I subsequently traded in my beloved Evora. I typically use a car for a year or two, get bored with it, and trade up for another.
Yesterday was different though. I am normally excited when I get a new vehicle, but while driving the car home last night I felt my stomach tighten.
I questioned myself as to whether I did the right thing. This morning when I pulled out of the garage I felt even worse. Don't get me wrong, I love the growl, tech, plushness, performance etc., but something was missing. What was missing was that visceral feeling of driving a Lotus. I spent close to double on the Jag as I did on the Evora and yet I feel cheated.:(

·
Registered
638 Posts
Guessing the dealer won't give you a mulligan? In all fairness, I can see why you were smitten by the F-Type, hearing the V8 S exhaust note is incredible, and the R Coupe even more so (which is one of the most beautiful cars i've ever laid eyes on). Jaguar is definitely doing something right these days, a night and day difference from the early/mid-2000s. And hey, you can always pick up another Lotus down the road.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If its been less than 24 hours, I would think you could reverse your decision?:shrug:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Might even feel worse when you take that first hard corner in the Jag, many other beautiful cars out there, but not many that corner like a lotus. I own many cars but none match the feeling of carving up roads in my Lotus.
But enjoy the newer Jags are nice!

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I learned a valuable lesson long ago and while difficult to remember and accept, I still try and live by its words

No regrets, Just lessons learned

You'll come to love your Jaguar. It's a great car and like texevora said above, when you are ready to trade in your Jag in a couple of years, you'll already know what you want next, another evora :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Definitely a first world problem, Geoman, but I get where you are coming from. You never know until you give up the keys to the old car and drive the new one home (which is why an overnight test drive is probably a good course of action). Give the Jag some time to grow on you. It's a gorgeous car in its own right. It won't handle like the Evora and it's an automatic, but you really can't go too wrong with your decision.

·
Registered
216 Posts
A good friend of mine has the F-Type V8; very beautiful car. I think it will grow on you over time, but no car will ever be the same. I am sure it has its advantages over the Evora.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
For you maybe too late, but for all the others on here a clear word of caution!

I think we all owe you something.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the words of wisdom guys. Yeah, I'll enjoy the car for the time being but will look forward to perhaps the launch of a new Lotus model or upgraded Evora.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I have to admit that I've gone so far as mentioning to the Jag dealer the possibility of trading the same. He is affiliated with the Lotus dealer just down the road.

I sure respect your "coming clean" to us about your experience.

When I drove an XK couple years back it was way nice but when push came to shove in the corners it reminded me of my Tundra more than the Evora (the Tundra does handle very well for what it is).

And 20 somethings aren't going to line up to have their picture made with any Jag.

Now a convertible Evora, that might be tough to let alone.

·
Illegal Alien
5,357 Posts
Sadly Mickster, I cannot. The law states that the signed contract is irrevocable unless signed in your home, where you would have a 3 day window to rescind.
Still no harm in asking.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Fascinating COINCIDENCE.
Jag invited me to an 'Exclusive Event' at my local Jag store. They assigned me a specific time slot and sent an electronic RSVP/Conf.
Went over there today (only 3 min drive): I pull up--not a single customer car in the lot --it's been snowing heavy all morning, so I'm not surprised. I park right in front, climb out and go in with Invite in hand. Showroom is empty -- No staff in sight, nothing special on the floor. ???--had to dbl check the invite--yep, correct time/day. I look at the gorgeous red F-type for a minute, wander around the showroom, spot a couple of sales guys hanging out in a salesman's (Mgr?) glass office --they look up at me and then back to whatever they were looking at on the desk. I wander for another minute, take another look at them, and then check out the F-type again. After another couple minutes, I stroll out the door.
NOT ACCEPTABLE.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Fascinating COINCIDENCE.
Jag invited me to an 'Exclusive Event' at my local Jag store. They assigned me a specific time slot and sent an electronic RSVP/Conf.
Went over there today (only 3 min drive): I pull up--not a single customer car in the lot --it's been snowing heavy all morning, so I'm not surprised. I park right in front, climb out and go in with Invite in hand. Showroom is empty -- No staff in sight, nothing special on the floor. ???--had to dbl check the invite--yep, correct time/day. I look at the gorgeous red F-type for a minute, wander around the showroom, spot a couple of sales guys hanging out in a salesman's (Mgr?) glass office --they look up at me and then back to whatever they were looking at on the desk. I wander for another minute, take another look at them, and then check out the F-type again. After another couple minutes, I stroll out the door.
NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Hahah, i got invited to the same event, was thinking I might want to see about a test drive of the F-type, but haven't gotten around to rsvping a slot. I wonder if it's something to give 30 minutes of my life to.

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
same here. I got an invite. Don't think I'll go unless the coupe is there, but in regards to the OP. I was just thinking of his dilemma during the LA auto show. I love the F-type coupe, but I also love the Evora. If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably take the Evora S and use the left over money for full exhaust system, retune and wheels.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've been tempted a couple times to trade the Evora in for an F430. I decided I would hold on to the Evora and wait a year or 2 for the 430. The waiting sux but once I have both cars I think it will be worth it.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Just find a few straight roads and hammer the throttle. You'll feel better.

May I ask, why the ball park trade in value is?

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
nothing worse than "buyer remorse"

Last daily driver I bought I had the same feelings. Ended up keeping the car for about 10 months and traded it for a new Jeep Wrangler

The F-Type is a beautiful car with much to love . Too bad your 10 hours away, maybe we could have worked out a occasional trade.

I believe the F-Type will grow on you. When convertible weather comes around all your regrets will be wind blown

·
Premium Member
8,381 Posts
"Fascinating COINCIDENCE.
NOT ACCEPTABLE."

I consider that perfect. No salesman drooling over the prospects of a sale! BTW that's the way it should be unless you ask someone for help. They were letting you fall in love with the car by looking, smelling, touching etc. No salesperson can do that for you. That is how I came to be a Jag lover! Guess you've gone thru life with the hard sell Tx.

Geoman F Type is an amazing car. On a public street it is more friendly than even our Evora's. As a non track guy I understand you completely. BTW notice sig update. XK coming in ~1 week. That 5.0 V8 is awesome sounding!! and no heavier than your F Type V8 vert or did you order a coupe? Anyway, Jags are topshelf all the way. The Germans better pay attention cause the Brits are taking over. In the right hands they'll stick to any German ride!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.