The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week or so ago I posted this on a thread...

"I spoke with Zack Zarcadoolas, Rapier Racing and Instructor with the Porsche Driving Experience (PDE). Zack was one of the professional drivers who drove the last 3 days at the Elise Launch at Barber. Here's Zack's words...

Zack has been a long time Lotus Enthusiast and was the co-owner of Rapier Racing who was fielding a Esprit V8 in the Grand American Cup Series this year.

Sadly we lost Zack last night to a heart attack.

Zack will be missed. His infectious enthusiasm and positive outlook was his trademark. I'll miss him as a fellow car enthusiast and friend.

Our hearts & prayers go out to his wife Cynthia and Zarcadoolas family.

My regret is that many of you who are just joining the Lotus community will not have the opportunity to meet this GREAT guy.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
THis is a very sad day for me. First met Zack many years ago, he had an 88 Esprit, turned around and bought a 91 that he learned to race on the track, than moved up to an X180R esprit, and if that wasn't enough, he built up an S2 Elan to go historic racing. And this year with Rapier,

A super guy, got to know really well when we worked together with the Lotus Ltd Southeast chapter to host the first of two Lotus Owners Gatherings in Atlanta.

A great guy who'd do anything to help people and was a Lotus fanatic through to the bone.

:(
Chris

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For immediate release: April 14, 2004

Rapier racing is saddened to announce the untimely passing away of co-founder and driver Zack Zarcadoolas.

Zack died of a heart attack in the early hours of the morning of the 13 April 2004 at his home in Douglasville, Georgia.

In the late 60’s and early 70’s Zack won Championships in both Formula Car and Production Based Vehicles racing in SCCA and FIA series. For 20 years Zack left racing and after leaving a division of B.F. Goodrich as Marketing Director formed his own company. Returning to racing he won the 1996 Sprint Challenge Championship in a Lotus Esprit X180R, driven a Porsche in Grand-Am Cup in 2000, and raced all types of sports cars over the years, including prototypes. He was an active participant in vintage and historic racing – always at the helm of a Lotus. Zack was an instructor with both Panoz and Porsche driving schools.

Zack was the president of Lotus Limited Southeast (LLSE) for many years as well as being the President for the national Lotus club ‘Lotus Limited’. He organized the national Lotus Owners Gathering (LOG) in 1996 and 1998. Many Lotus Limited Club members memory of Zack was his driving skill in the hot laps he often gave to club members.

Arnie Johnson CEO of Lotus Cars USA counted Zack as a good friend, “if you were in trouble and had only one phone call, you could not do worse than call Zack.” Arnie always found him to be particularly loyal to the Lotus marquee. In particular giving his time to help the Lotus name, “he had assisted LCU with many projects and had never taken a nickel,” said Arnie Johnson.

Rapier racing was founded in 2003 buy Zack, Charles Rayhall, and long time friend Kirt Wightman. The goal of the Team was to showcase the final edition of the timelessly beautiful Lotus Esprit V8 and bring Lotus back to the consciousness of North American motorsport fans. The team was on a steep learning curve, but Zack felts that the hardest work was behind us, and looked forward to the rest of the season.

Zack will be remembered as a great driver, a great all-around guy, and a Lotus man to the core. He will be sorely missed buy his team, his friends and anyone who had the pleasure of his company.

Zack is survived by his wife, Cynthia, his son and his mother. Our thoughts are with them, and that in time their grief will be replaced by warm memories of their life together.

As per Zacks wishes, there be no memorial service, however, condolences for the family should be sent to Rapier Racing LLC, 6209 Oak Ridge Commerce Way, SW Austell, GA 30168.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes sad news indeed. Zack was not only a great Lotus enthusiast but a good friend. When I first started working for LCUSA I went to my first track event (The Walter Mitty) and helped Zack with his Elan race car. He rubbed off some of his enthusiasm on me about Lotus and taught me much about the cars he loved so much.

I'm still in disbelief. Still in shock. It is like I could imagine him walking through the doors of LCUSA any moment to say hi...
but now it is sinking in that he won't.

Those of you that knew him know what kind of guy he was and his kind are rare in this world today. He will be missed and I'm saddened that many of you never had the opportunity to cross paths with him.

We are going to miss you buddy. Keep Senna and Jimmy company until we get there.

Cheers Zack

Clyde

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
A real loss of a terrific person. At our Lotus LTD. meeting that was held at LCU Zack was there and my 10 year old son ask for his autograph, not only did he give his autograph he talked racing and cars with a 10 year old and did it happily.
A very unfortunate loss, a person I didn't know well but will miss.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Didn't know him, but it is obvious that he will be sorely missed by all with whom he connected. My thoughts and prayers go out to his loved ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts