The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
i know a story of a guy buying his high school kid a brand new vette, which he promptly crashed. then the guy bought him another one!
another story, chicagoland, a kid failed to register his car on time with the school so he didn't get a parking permit. so the dad bought the house for sale across from the school so his kid could park. naturally the kid threw parties.
when people ask what is wrong with this country they always point the finger at someone else. they never ask what am i doing to contribute to this situation.
as has been well said before: "we have met the enemy and it is us!"

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
As noted, I will NEVER understand why a parent would want to put a weapon like this in the hand's of a teenager. Yes, it is a weapon. Kids MAY drive a 1998 Hyundai Sonata fast. Kids WILL drive a Ferrari fast. Very fast.

Story: One of my best friend's lives in Hinsdale, IL - wealthy suburb of Chicago. Anyhoo - went to a party at their house this summer - daughter graduated high school. Some kid shows up in a Bentley Continental GTC Speed. Gets out acting like a complete d-bag and talking in his faux-swagga 'urban' lingo. Every adult wanted to punch the kid. My buddy turns and says 'hey Malibu's Most Wanted, take it down a notch or two'. Turns out the kid's mother was some whitetrash waitress, albeit beautiful, and married a super wealthy hedge fund guy. My buddy says 'that little sh*tbag could have an unemployed union plumber stepfather, but instead his mother picked the right one night stand'....

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
there was a similarly sad story last week. A 16 yo kid had just recieved a brand new STi for a gift from his parents. He only had his permit at the time of the incident. The car was in a massive single car accident with the 3teenage passengers all died. The passenger lived.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Unfortunately this will happen in any suppose to be fast car. If you must buy your kid super luxury stuff then give him/her doesn't that doesn't have the "I'm suppose to drive fast" stigma.

It's evident that I'm not against rich parents buying their kids nice things. I would do the same. It is possible to raise a kid with a silver spoon all while still giving the kid good values. I would have took the P-Diddy way and gave him a MayB or something.

On the flip side, you just have to know your kid. Look at how many 18-21 year old rich athletes there are. Veeeeery few end up crashing things like this. I can't actually think of any off the top of my head.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Maybe I'm callous but I don't see it as sad. I see it as deserved. Not so much on the kid's part but the parents. If you're reckless enough to put your kid in a high performance sports car (forget the brand or price but just look at what the car's capable of), then you deserve to have the guilt for what happens.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Maybe I'm callous but I don't see it as sad. I see it as deserved. Not so much on the kid's part but the parents. If you're reckless enough to put your kid in a high performance sports car (forget the brand or price but just look at what the car's capable of), then you deserve to have the guilt for what happens.
"deserved" is the wrong word - maybe inevitable, but expecting someone to kill themselves is quite harsh.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It's not the kid's fault - I mean it's a '09 430. If his parents cared they would have bought him something safer like a 458 instead.

PS - has anyone seen a pic of the "18 year old"? This dude is at least 30 :crazyeyes

Daily Mail link

All kidding aside, hoping everyone recovers.

I remember the teen M5 crash well. :(

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Ive had my 930 since I was 18 (36 now), and I have managed to survive. 930s are of course notorious "widowmakers" and was one of the fastest cars in the world when I got it.

Kids do dumb stuff, espescially in cars. Lots of kids die in camrys of course as well. This kid obviously wasnt mature enough to be driving around in a ferrari, but maybe he wasnt ready for an accord either.

also 18 is technically an adult in this country. We put guns in 18yo hands and send them to war.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I wonder how much the 'need for speed' video game adds to this. A high powered 'weapon' combined with the go fast video game mojo = bad news.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The real travesty is the author's total lack of research in the article below. He refers to a std. F430 as a Scuderia and the Aston in another photo as a Bentley. Oh and I wouldn't say the kid was 30, probably closer to 29.

It's not the kid's fault - I mean it's a '09 430. If his parents cared they would have bought him something safer like a 458 instead.

PS - has anyone seen a pic of the "18 year old"? This dude is at least 30 :crazyeyes

Daily Mail link

All kidding aside, hoping everyone recovers.

I remember the teen M5 crash well. :(

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Unfortunately this will happen in any suppose to be fast car. If you must buy your kid super luxury stuff then give him/her doesn't that doesn't have the "I'm suppose to drive fast" stigma.

It's evident that I'm not against rich parents buying their kids nice things. I would do the same. It is possible to raise a kid with a silver spoon all while still giving the kid good values. I would have took the P-Diddy way and gave him a MayB or something.

On the flip side, you just have to know your kid. Look at how many 18-21 year old rich athletes there are. Veeeeery few end up crashing things like this. I can't actually think of any off the top of my head.
Couple things:

- I think Diddy lives in Manhattan, so the kid probably rarely drives.

- Athletes? Many have clauses in their contracts that prohibit them from doing things like this that may impede that. Donte Stallworth killed a guy. Lance Briggs of the Bears totalled his Lambo on the Edens and left it there. Jay Williams (Bulls lottery pick) crashed on his sport bike and ended what would have been a very lucrative career. Ben Rapistburger almost died on his GSXR (no helmet).

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
The real travesty is the author's total lack of research in the article below. He refers to a std. F430 as a Scuderia and the Aston in another photo as a Bentley. Oh and I wouldn't say the kid was 30, probably closer to 29.
I notice the same thing. Absolute lazy journalism.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Very troubling and sad. I hope they make it. I remember begging and pleading with my dad way back when i was 17 about taking his vette to the prom. "NO" he said, not a chance, you'll kill yourself!

"Thanks dad"!

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
In high school, a kid in my class was given a Corvette ('86ish I think), not a terribly fast car... But that kid was able to get 27 points worth in 2 tickets in one day.

Passed a school bus. Then later crashed into a bush in front of somebody's house, and then left the scene (witnesses got his plate).

1 - 20 of 56 Posts