The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, my car has Check Engine Light again for the 10th+ time in 6 mo. I'm taking it to service next week.

I've noticed that the car is not running with 100% of its power... The speed seems to be limited (around 95mph) and when I heel-toe down-shift, I can't get enough revs. Also some funny rattle noise from the back of the car (engine? exhaust?)

When the Check Engine Light is on, does the car go into some sort of "Safe Mode"...? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P0420 - (catalyst system efficiency below threshold)

It's been happening over and over for months. I'll be getting the issue resolved next week.

Any problem driving the car under the limp-mode? I still need to get home. :)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Even if your code was P1234, I would inspect the cams - call me crazy just eliminate the possibility of the worn cam/broken rocker issue we have seen lately.. I expect we will see more as these cars get more miles on them! Good Luck...

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
P0420 - (catalyst system efficiency below threshold)

It's been happening over and over for months. I'll be getting the issue resolved next week.

Any problem driving the car under the limp-mode? I still need to get home. :)
Depending on what your problem actually is, you may be OK. I had to drive mine to the dealer like that with a broken rocker arm. It's certainly not fun.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Consider turning the car off of a few seconds to see it the ECU reboots and runs normally. When my car went into limp mode I sometimes had to "reboot" it a couple of times before it would run normally. I would probably avoid driving it in limp mode if possible, but perhaps enough to get off the hwy and try the reboot. What I did was waited until I was pointing down hill, then turned the car off (on the hwy while moving) and restarted it while driving. probably not the smartest thing, but it did save me from having to drive it in limp mode and from getting off the hwy. I usually drive 10-15 mph over anyway so I would typically be going about the speedlimit when I restart the car.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Consider turning the car off of a few seconds to see it the ECU reboots and runs normally. When my car went into limp mode I sometimes had to "reboot" it a couple of times before it would run normally. I would probably avoid driving it in limp mode if possible, but perhaps enough to get off the hwy and try the reboot. What I did was waited until I was pointing down hill, then turned the car off (on the hwy while moving) and restarted it while driving. probably not the smartest thing, but it did save me from having to drive it in limp mode and from getting off the hwy. I usually drive 10-15 mph over anyway so I would typically be going about the speedlimit when I restart the car.
I turned off then restarted the car many times... it's been going on for days... :(

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
I was in a car with the CEL (cat delete). Car has been running with CEL on for 1000 miles or so. No problems. OEM acceleration, top speed (I was in the car when it hit 122mph), absolutely no problems.

Tell Lee I said hi, seems like you are on a first name basis with him ;)

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you bougth the car new (don't know if you did) and there is a "lemon law" in your state you can demand a new vehichle. I think 3 is the limit in Ohio, after that they will have to give you another vehichle.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Have them check the wire harnesses...I had this happening on mine and it took about 2-3 times for them to fix it. They were finally instructed by Lotus to put some kind of conductive stuff (by the way, that is a technical term:) in the connector and I have not had the problem since. Star said that it is a common issue with the cars.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I got a P0420 I believe after about 2000 miles on a de-cat. The car outright feels OK, it seems to get slight hiccups when doing partial throttle at higher RPM's. Say 50% throttle at 5500 RPM's. I can feel a very slight bucking. It only appeared when the Check Engine light showed up.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Anyone else going into limp mode with a decat? I searched and it didnt seem like many people had problems with it other than an annoying light...

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got a P0420 I believe after about 2000 miles on a de-cat. The car outright feels OK, it seems to get slight hiccups when doing partial throttle at higher RPM's. Say 50% throttle at 5500 RPM's. I can feel a very slight bucking. It only appeared when the Check Engine light showed up.
Bad for the engine to drive in that condition?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts