The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I have an '06 Elise and I'd like to take the diffuser off for a couple hours worth of driving while I have it powder coated. Is it safe to drive without the rear diffuser?

Thanks,
Colin

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
As a precaution from keeping the trailing edge of the underbelly pan from flapping, might I suggest that you thread the two large bolts for the diffuser back into the steel cross-member and then use some large zip-ties (or double 'em up) to fasten some of the now open holes in the trailing edge of the underbelly pan to said large bolts.

I did this when I last had my car aligned by a local shop. Drove a couple miles each way without incident. I wouldn't drive very far this way though as I'd imagine the bolts would come loose at some point due to the vibrations, given the light tension they would be under from the zip-ties.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've been driving mine without one for a while, no biggy but you can definitely feel the instability at higher speeds.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hey guys - I have an '06 Elise and I'd like to take the diffuser off for a couple hours worth of driving while I have it powder coated. Is it safe to drive without the rear diffuser?

Thanks,
Colin
Hey Colin may I ask what you are paying to PC it?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Colin may I ask what you are paying to PC it?
Hi Michael - I emailed a couple places in the bay area (closer to San Jose) and heard back quotes of $150 and $110. I'm going to try the cheaper place next week and am happy to provide more details on quality, location, etc. afterwards.

EDIT: BTW I actually spend a good half day over one weekend following some other forumite's instructions (as best I could) to spray paint the diffuser. It involved steps of chemical cleaning, steel wool, lots of primer and many coats of paint. So I was very dissapointed to find the next day the paint started peeling off. Given the cost of all the materials (~$60) plus time ($Priceless) the price of powdercoating sees like a steal.

Take care,
Colin

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thanks Colin.

I painted mine myself after a day of prepping her and she began to peel right away as well so I'll need to powder coat mine too. Thanks again!:up:

-Michael

1 - 10 of 10 Posts