The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed Safety Harnesses??? I have a set that I installed in an Audi TT Coupe but I want to move them to the Elise asap. The TT has tie downs in the back of the car. I removed these and used the bolt holes to mount the upper part of the belt and fabricated a bracket that goes into rear seat mounts. They are completely removable without leaving any holes. I'd like to do the same on the Elise. I know there are a few people who have auto crossed their Elises (Randy, Stan, and a few others) so I was hoping one of you guys spent this weekend installing some to make it easier for me (and others).

:D :) :clap:

·
Registered
3,577 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I truly don't feel the need for a harness to restrain the body for car control in the Elise.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, the seats are super supportive and I do feel like Im not hanging on to the steering wheel for support in corners but I really like being strapped in. With the seat design it will be a difficult install as there is no seperate, adjustable headrest or slots in the back to hold the upper parts in place.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
For autocrossing the Elise I use the belt lock up trick BMW guys have been doing for years. I'm 5' 10" tall so I slide the seat forward for a comfortable driving position. So for an autocross run I slide the seat further back (too far for comfort). Then I pull the belt tight across my lap and then tight across the shoulder area. Then I quickly yank the belt to get the belt lock to engage. While holding the belt locked I then slide the seat forward to my favorite driving position and then the belt stays locked by itself and is tight against my body. This can be a bit hard on the belt release and seat sliders but most cars can do this fairly well. At least BMW Recaros anyway!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stan, this may sounds stupid but how long does it stay locked?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
eliseowner2b said:
Stan, this may sounds stupid but how long does it stay locked?
Until you give it slack again. Sit in your car and give a quick jerk to the seatbelt. If you keep pressure on it it will stay locked. If you give it a bit of slack it will be free again.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Stan, this may sounds stupid but how long does it stay locked?<<<

It will stay locked until you release the seat belt by pushing the red button. Or by sliding the seat backwards. Try it out!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Stan, try out a CG-Lock... I used to use your method. :)

spindoc.. that was why I qualified it for those seeking a harness for performance reasons and Robert was replying to that. Of couse in certain types of motorsports you should use a harness, but I will also note people need to be careful about not making something less safe (like when people install rollbars or rollcages in street cars...then drive without helmets... or install 5 point harnesses that wrap around the seats).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts