The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
randy, i tried accessing the web site describing your road trip, but i couldn't get to it due to what seems like some security thing. and i find it difficult to go through the 300 posts on the same topic. so i am just going to asks you this here: how do you feel about the risk of elise getting stolen on a cross-country trip?; with respect to this, how did it feel during your trip?; did you have any related experiences?; did you take or do you recommend any special precautions?; did you stay at motels and how does that feel w.r.t to the same concern?...

the same questions go to others, but i am primarily thinking about a cross-country-trip-related theft concerns.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I stayed with people except one strange night in Tennessee.

I did ask for a room on the ground level and parked the car in view of my room's window.

I don't expect that the car is a magnet for being stolen. My concern was vandals that don't like someone having something nice. I had considered taking my top from Sector111 on the roadtrip, but decided against it based on two things. First, that it can create more problems as people want to see what is under it, and secondly, that room was already limited.

I would also be thoughtful about what kind or area I was staying in.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I planned my trip to stay at Air Force Bases. Fortunately, I always managed to get a room. Fortunately San Antonio has four AFBs, as I got a room on the third try.:p

The car was still parked outside, but being inside the gate meant that there was a much more limited flow of traffic than there would be at an hotel just off the interstate.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
agent.5 said:
Why don't you guys put a dark color logo-less car cover on the car when parked?
Because the shape gives away that something different is under it.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Because the shape gives away that something different is under it.
But it will still be much less noticeable than a yellow crazy looking car that most people have never seen before.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
We stopped just once on our NJ to CA trip. I was very nervous since the hotel our bleary eyes located in BFE Wyoming was pretty seedy & packed. I asked the night desk guy to please keep an eye on the car and he agreed. We got in at midnight and at 4:30am we were rested up - and the car was still there! My dad then set off the alarm by accident and while we both struggled to find our alarm kill buttons the night desk guy came running out. He kept his word that he'd stress over the car and said he was very releived to discover it was us that had set the alarm off. The rest of the trip was non-stop driving so there were no other security worries. So, if you can, ask the hotel guy to keep an eye on it.

-doma

·
Registered
39 Posts
Exotics and strange parking places:

This was something I was concerned with when I drove my Ferrari 308 From Vancouver Canada down to California this past August. I made my halfway point of Weed CA which is basically a truck-stop, but I've used this town before on previous trips as it's the longest run for me and breaks the long drive up.

I too chose a ground-level room and parked the car in a spot right in front of the room window, which made me feel better.

In any case, the next morning when I went to leave, I found a '50's Bentley parked next to it! The owner was making his way too down to Monterey, so I suppose he felt better of his parking situation, seeing my Ferrari there!

In any case, I didn't have any problems on that trip and people were very friendly. I always use my "Club" on the steering wheel. True, it doesn't stop vandalism, but at least my car will still be there when I get back. I'm pleased that the Elise comes with an alarm and immobiliser.

I suppose I actually feel LESS safe parking here in Vancouver. There was one time I parked it downtown and found drug-addicts shooting up a few spots over from where I parked... :(

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Randy Chase said:
...My concern was vandals that don't like someone having something nice...
good point. i forgot to bring that up but thought of it later. two of the cars i have owned both received an obviously malicious scratch down the entire side of a door during their first couple of weeks.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
where my question originally came from is that i was having fun just thinking about doing a trip from detroit across canada to vancouver, then down the west coast to l.a., then starting through las vegas and the desserts diagonally across the u.s. back to detroit. i prefer staying at the cheap chain motels since they always meet my modest needs. i definitely don't know enough people along the way to skip motels even twice. i would take my time since i would want to see many of the places i go through, so there would definitely be a lot of stops.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Well I live in Dewey,AZ (Near Prescott)
If you come thru my way you can restup if you'd like
I got a 2car garage & 2 extra rooms..
Nice 3mo old Home
Let me know..

Maybe we could start a Elise Road trip club for ppl crossing the States¿
Meet more of the EliseTalk.com group & Become a real conected group...
Just a ThunkR..lol
I also have some great roads in & out of town..
Peace Troy

Oops didnt see your post was about a year ago.. my offer stands though..

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Last time I stayed at a motel with the Elise, they let me put it right in front, under the well-lit canopy at the office.....can't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Why stop when you can simply tilt your seat back and take a nap. -poke-

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've been on acouple of trips and just don't worry about it.

The Elise is so unussaul that if someone did steal it, it would hard o get rid of it (so it probably won't get stolen to begin with). Similarly, it attracts enough attention so that I fiigure someone is keeping an eye on it more often than not.

The one thing I don't do is parrallel park it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Troy_Audio said:
Well I live in Dewey,AZ (Near Prescott)
If you come thru my way you can restup if you'd like...

...Maybe we could start a Elise Road trip club for ppl crossing the States¿...

...Oops didnt see your post was about a year ago.. my offer stands though..
hopefully, i will have the ocassion to take you up on your offer one day. i haven't done that trip yet - but at least now, as opposed to a year ago, i have an elise to do it with.

i was in arizona in june, eliseless (tuscon and phoenix). i liked the dessert.

i do like the idea of an organized way of helping the elises travelling the country.

any elise and its passangers are welcome for shelter with me in the detroit-ann arbor area, where shelter often seems required.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
eliseowner2b said:
Why stop when you can simply tilt your seat back and take a nap. -poke-
Because the seat doesn't tilt back? :shrug:

To add something to the thread, when I went to Indianapolis for the weekend I parked the car where I could see it from my hotel room in an end spot so that nobody would be opening a driver's door into it. The same car was parked on my left when I got up as when I went to bed, so it worked out nicely. This is how I usually try to park my Elise when I go to dinner, Home Depot, etc.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
masheen said:
hopefully, i will have the ocassion to take you up on your offer one day. i haven't done that trip yet - but at least now, as opposed to a year ago, i have an elise to do it with.

i was in arizona in june, eliseless (tuscon and phoenix). i liked the dessert.

i do like the idea of an organized way of helping the elises travelling the country.

any elise and its passangers are welcome for shelter with me in the detroit-ann arbor area, where shelter often seems required.
I live in Grand Rapids, right off the highway. My townhouse is modest, but my Elise would be happy to share the garage with a sibling anytime. If a registry of free places to crash is created, add my name.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've stayed at regular chain motels 8 or 9 times, and haven't had anything bad happen. Of course having said this, I have cursed myself for next time. The level of place I stay are Quality Inns (which have very spotty quality) or Holiday Inn Expresses (much more consistent and dependable, though about 15% or so more than the cheapest Quality Inns.) La Quinta Inns I like too but few have wireless internet access.

Thinking about it, I feel that one thing that can help is not parking where people on the street can easily see it. To me there would seem to be less risk from other motel patrons than people passing by, especially if the motel is near a restaurant or bar. Also I would feel less comfortable if I were there for several days.

If possible, I too try to find a spot in view of the lobby. I've done that and preferred to walk a mile and a half to forage for food rather than give up the spot. :)

If people are in the Seattle region, I could likely provide a place to crash. Plenty of private parking, lots of room, clean newer home, but not much furniture... :( I guess I spent it all on the Elise. I'm 15 miles away from Seattle, but right off of I-405.

DLY

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Can't believe noone brought this up yet: Stay at a Bed & Breakfast that has a driveway / or a garage. simple.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts