The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
The base coat of Saffron is Solar Yellow. Saffron Yellow = Solar Yellow + Gold Flake.

·
Registered
999 Posts
The base coat of Saffron is Solar Yellow. Saffron Yellow = Solar Yellow + Gold Flake.
I think you've got that backwards -- Raggedy1 was correct. The Solar Yellow (which replaced Saffron Yellow on the 2006 models) is a metallic paint which entailed a $590 premium. (I believe that the Saffron Yellow was actually a base model paint option in 2005, but somebody with a 2005 would have to confirm that.)

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have a Saffron Yellow Elise. Seems correct what others are saying... Solar Yellow is pretty much Saffron Yellow with metallic flakes added in.

I'm personally preferential to Saffron myself... solar is too "glittery" for me.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I think you've got that backwards -- Raggedy1 was correct. The Solar Yellow (which replaced Saffron Yellow on the 2006 models) is a metallic paint which entailed a $590 premium. (I believe that the Saffron Yellow was actually a base model paint option in 2005, but somebody with a 2005 would have to confirm that.)
Yes that is totally backwards as I spray both colors. Solar yellow is Saffron yellow plus a mid coat which is simply a tinted clear with metallic flake. From a distance they look exactly the same. It is only when you get closer and in certain lighting conditions that you can tell the difference. Personally I would go with Saffron (my car's color) because it is so similar in color and so much easier to repair with those pesky rock chips. Pearl colors can not be blended and the entire panel needs to be resprayed to match, sometimes the whole car. Between the two go Saffron.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2006 or later?

I am going to purchase a 2006 model or later. Does that mean that my only choice would be Solar Yellow? Other then repainting...

According to one post, the 2006 model was the first year to introduce Solar Yellow. Safron Yellow was a base color on and before 2005... Is this correct?

Thanks! :clap:

-Matt

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Solar Yellow is a lot nicer. IMO

·
Registered
131 Posts
Does anyone know the RGB values for Solar Yellow or Saffrom Yellow? I'm an industrial designer working on a transportation project and I want to paint my prototype that color.

Thanks in advance anyone who can help.

best,
eric

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I have a Saffron Yellow car with a Solar Yellow hardtop.

The base color is the same. The Solar has some metallic flakes mixed in.

You have to be close to the car and actually looking for the difference to even notice it.

I've never seen a Solar Yellow car but I am very happy with Saffron Yellow. If a Solar Yellow car does in fact look nicer (could be) it is probably a subtle effect.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Mines Solar yellow so I'm biased. LOVE IT! You can tell when the two kinds of yellow are side by side on a sunny day. Solar is more... "glittery"... Either that or my car attracts more strippers. Seriously though I think solar also looks a little darker, but it just may be my imagination.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
SY is the best color....I don't care how the CO (the evil Chrome Orange Mafia! [Don't even get me started on the ultra evil Krypton Green Brigade!!!!]) guys think that there cars are faster! Mine's a 06 Solar Yellow and I don't think you can tell the difference. As a matter of fact my chin protectors are in Saffron Yellow on a Solar Yellow car!

Under 5 feet in direct sunlight it is clear. Other than that little difference….SY is far better than SY!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I have a Saffron Yellow car with a Solar Yellow hardtop.

The base color is the same. The Solar has some metallic flakes mixed in.

You have to be close to the car and actually looking for the difference to even notice it.

I've never seen a Solar Yellow car but I am very happy with Saffron Yellow. If a Solar Yellow car does in fact look nicer (could be) it is probably a subtle effect.
I've included some photos. Maybe not the best since the yellows tend to look orange but at least you can see how Saffron (the car) and Solar (the hardtop) compare.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Tried it again with different camera settings. Looks a bit more yellow. Of course in real life both are truly yellow. Anyways you can see the difference between solid and metallic paint.

Car is Saffron. Hardtop is Solar.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
How big of a difference do you see in person. In pictures its hard to tell, but what if your standing next to the car. If you're 3-5 feet away can you tell that the top is different than the rest of the car?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I have seen the two colors side by side, and from 3-5 feet away you can tell. The metallic flake will show up. From 20+ feet away you probably wouldn't notice unless you were looking for it or if the sun caught it at the right angle.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts