The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to have information regarding the SAI on the ELISE 2005.

I have an Elise 2006, and the 2006 don't have the SAI.

Based on the electrical schematic, the 2005 have one. But I am not able to find it on the parts manual, as the service manual. Physically, it should be installed at the right of the engine, at the end of a tube welded on the exhaust manifold. The 2006 have the tube with a cap.

I will appreciate if someone can confirm (ideally with a picture...) that the 2005 have an SAI installed.

Also, I will appreciate to have the confirmation that the parts is a Toyota item.

And also, do you think that it is really required on the 2005 to have it in order the run? What is the effect to not have the SAI installed and not connected with teh ECU?

Since I am leaving in Canada, I don't have access to any 2005, the starting date of the Elise was in 2006 up here.

Thanks

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello, still no comment or answer. Your help will be appreciated.

Regards

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
No real help here (mine's an '06) but I didn't think that '05 had SAI either.
:shrug:

Is the pressure sensor actually present and wired to the ECU (as shown)? If so, one of the ECU gurus can chime in to say if the code actually uses it for anything.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SAI pressure sender, help required, ECU 2005

I think it is my last try to have answer. Sorry to insist.

Like I said, the electrical diagram is calling for the sensor, but not able to have the confirmation that it is installed on the car.

Regards.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Maybe if you defined what an "SAI" pressure sensor was, more help could be available... :shrug:

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tom, Charlie,

Maybe my message was not clear enought. The SAI is the secondary air injector, connected to teh exhaust manifold. If you look your exhaust manifold at the right of the car, it is a small tube going out of the manifold, and going to the right of the engine, and to the front of the engine.

The question is: is it really installed on the 2005 Elise (not on the 2006 and upward).

The next question is: since it is used to add air on the exhaust system (I guess so) to pass the pollution test, is it bad if the car is running without it? How the ECU react if the SAI is not there, creating a code?

Regards

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Tom, Charlie,

Maybe my message was not clear enough. The SAI is the secondary air injector, connected to the exhaust manifold. If you look your exhaust manifold at the right of the car, it is a small tube going out of the manifold, and going to the right of the engine, and to the front of the engine.

The question is: is it really installed on the 2005 Elise (not on the 2006 and upward).
I believe that the SAI is one of the features that is not utilized on the Elise's Toyota engine. The Toyota exhaust manifold used in on the Elise's engine has the port, but it's blocked off and not used in the Elise (not even the '05s). It's one of the few things that differ on the actual engine between the Lotus installation and the Toyota usage (besides the ECU of course).

The SAI is actually used to improve cold start on the Toyotas and not used during normal operation. The pipe is plugged on the Elise.

Here's a link with info and photos: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f154/what-air-injection-part-1-a-24285/

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
The air injection tube is installed on the exhaust manifold on the '05 but it is capped and not used. None of the other compenents of the SAI system as used by Toyota on their cars are there on the Elise.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
There is a bunch of stuff on the ecu that is designated but not used, SAI is one of them, lotus likes to change stuff around a bit.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Big thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts