The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been away from my car and bike forums for a little while, I was in a bike accident last year and went back to work recently and have been super busy since im my own business.

I hope everyone is doing well thru all thats going on.

I've taken some spare time recently to do some work on the Esprit (im anticipating my next week being a little slow). I decided to tint my windows, and the trim around the sail panels (rear engine compartment windows) was looking a little dull, so I removed them (windows) to tint them and paint the black, well black again. My question is, what have you guys used to hold them in? I previously used windshield butyl, but they sagged a little and more layed on the body, however the butyl makes them easy to remove. Im thinking of using eurothane adhesive this time. But will that make them hard to remove if I needed to ever pull the tanks? Or are the windows a non issue with that project and other than cosmetic I wont have a reason to remove them again?

Thanks for any thoughts

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
There is no need to remove the windows to get to the tanks. There is no advantage that I know of, if you did remove the quarter windows. My windows were leaking a bit because of the known issue with the black mask around the edge separating from the glass many years ago now, (18 years actually). I just used what I had on hand, black silicone sealer. Some may be horrified but they both look great and no leaks, so there you go. I know that's not what the manual suggests. Oh well.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,650 Posts
The black edge 'mask' purpose is as a primer, so that the adhesive sticks better. Are you re-applying that? It is the best way to go. A glass shop can probably tell you what they use these days.

When you said the 'windows sagged a little bit' did you mean that the glass itself moved before the butyl set up? That seems to be a job for temporary spacer blocks if you want to do it that way again.

If the butyl adhesive globbed out before it set up, a bit of masking should prevent it, this time around.

+++++++++++

If you ever try to remove the gas tanks through the windows, WE WANT PICS of the process! HeeHee ?
They come out through the engine bay, most easily (?) with the engine removed.?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought I remembered hearing that its easier to remove the tanks with those windows removed lol. I think to work thru the opening

I used eurothane adhesive and primer this time. The butyl I used previously allowed the windows to slide down and rest on the body, I believe when it got hot out it softened. Butyl never really hardens, it stays sorta gooey. I guess if its cold out it would, but then once its hot out, it would soften again.

I used butyl as a sealant on sunroofs Ive installed back in the day.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts