The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally brush off idiotic sales person comments, as they normally just are trying to swing the sale, but David from Norm Baker told me this when I asked if the exige they had was equipped with an LSD:

"And to be honest with you, I have been to Lotus driving school where Lotus states that the car was actually built not to have LSD or traction control but they only added this option because American drivers deem it necessary. The professional drivers would argue with us Americans’ though."

So that begs the question. Is this true? I can't imagine how an LSD would negatively contribute to the cars performance. More traction is more traction?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
It is true that in general terms, for the intended purpose, many Lotus factory drivers feel the LSD is not all good. It contributes to increased understeer. If you look at their driving technique, it involves what seems to me to be larger slip angles. In other words, they hang the back out more. With skill.

Those same engineers/drivers I have talked to also understand and agree that there are situations that the LSD would be a benefit, as in low speed corners or autocrossing. And the real racing Lotus cars use a real LSD. I think there the only thing I heard was that the stock LSD with the Elise is not enough.

For me, I can drive around (or set up the suspension) to reduce the new understeer. I found it harder to drive around the inside rear wheel spin from no LSD.

So.... where it hurts? High speed sweeper. Where it helps? Low speed tight turn, specially with higher grip surface/tires. Nothing is all bad or all good.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Your salesman was telling the truth. That being said, I'm 'mericun, and I loves me some LSD.

xtn

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
i am happy without it - but i am dolt and need something a bit idiot proof. and i am not pushing crazy f/i hp #'s and don't have problems with power traction except on rare occasions where it really doesn't matter to me.

i also don't autocross because i get lost in parking lots :shrug:... on the track - i like n/a and no lsd very much thank you.

just different - ones not better than the other, just a different tool for different jobs / situations. i have been in situations where i was very glad i did not have lsd, i have never been in one where i regreted not having it. my experiances for what its worth.

More traction is more traction?
its "changing traction" that is the possible disadvantage as randy mentioned in high speed sweepers. i like things to be very progressive, predictable and consistant, that way my slow brain can have a clue as to what will happen. :) mongo not happy when car changes

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
One example was the first corner turn 1 at Buttonwillow going CW. I had bad inside rear wheel spin until I had the LSD installed. Sure, you can lift throttle.. but that was slower in that corner.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I drive an sti now with front and rear LSD's and don't seem to have a problem. Could I then assume I should have no problem with a rear LSD on the exige? However, I don't autocross, though I do enjoy my local backroads and tight turns. The exige I am looking at now has every option but the lsd..this is driving me crazy. :panic:

·
Registered
817 Posts
probably won't matter either way....if you get one w/o LSD...and you decide to get one....you can get a better one than the OEM part.:shrug:

Doubt you'll miss it.

two cents

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One example was the first corner turn 1 at Buttonwillow going CW. I had bad inside rear wheel spin until I had the LSD installed. Sure, you can lift throttle.. but that was slower in that corner.
Is that the left right after the straight?

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
For autocross I like it (limited slip). For track use I don't.

Don't care about traction control because I can turn it off when I want :)

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
... However, I don't autocross, though I do enjoy my local backroads and tight turns. The exige I am looking at now has every option but the lsd..this is driving me crazy. :panic:
If you find you need an LSD on public roads, your likely to pwned, not pwn. With the low torque of these cars, the fantastic suspension and the bulk of the weight on the rear wheels, it is pretty hard to get into a situation where you "need" an LSD with the stock tires and on public roads.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you find you need an LSD on public roads, your likely to pwned, not pwn. With the low torque of these cars, the fantastic suspension and the bulk of the weight on the rear wheels, it is pretty hard to get into a situation where you "need" an LSD with the stock tires and on public roads.
Hehe. Ok, ok. But I shall never be pwned. :shrug:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I drive an sti now with front and rear LSD's and don't seem to have a problem. Could I then assume I should have no problem with a rear LSD on the exige?
Apples and oranges. The Elise/Exige is very light in the front end, which exergates the understeering tendencies of the LSD in the rear. Just because a set up is good in one kind of car, doesn't mean it is automatically good in another different type (configuration, weight, suspension, power, etc.) car.

Depending on how you use your car, you may or may not want LSD. I don't have it, and I don't miss it all. I do have LSD in my other cars, and wouldn't want to be without it in them. But not needed/wanted for the way I drive my Elise.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its good to be hearing all of this....the exige will definitely be a different beast than what I'm used to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts