1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,690 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: Parts car.

·
Registered
725 Posts
This thing has been up on ebay a few times so far this year, no winning bidders (i.e. it appears the reserve was too high, no acceptable offers, etc)

I am guessing that he just bought the yellow front clam (wasn't in his ebay ad before) for $481.00 because he outbid me last week! This was a great price for the clam, but him being local made all the difference in what I was willing to bid.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I dont think the dents in the chassis will affect alignment or safety of the car, but its for the buyer to decide.
But thanks for your opinion.
Are you kidding me?? wont affect the safety of the car..... I know you have always been an honest seller from what I have seen on here as far as what damage has been done to the cars you sell, but a buyer has the right to know that Lotus would consider this frame unsafe and would say that it needs to be replaced...

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
Are you kidding me?? wont affect the safety of the car..... I know you have always been an honest seller from what I have seen on here as far as what damage has been done to the cars you sell, but a buyer has the right to know that Lotus would consider this frame unsafe and would say that it needs to be replaced...
Not sure that I fully agree with you cory.
The key points to consider are:
1. is the chassis still true? this can be assessed by measurement
2. is the damage extensive enough to prevent the specified suspension geometry being achieved?

The quote below is the relevant section of the service manual regarding dents in the chassis (with my bold emphasis).

Service Manual
The bonded and rivetted alloy chassis structure described above is considered a non-serviceable jig built unit to which no structural repairs are approved. Superficial, cosmetic, or non-structural localised damage may be repaired as necessary, but in the case of accident damage resulting in significant bending, tearing or distortion of the aluminium chassis such that the specified suspension geometry cannot be achieved by the standard range of suspension adjustment provided, the recommended repair is to renew the partial body assembly, which comprises the chassis and roll over bar together with jig bonded composite rear bulkhead, body sills, windscreen frame and crash structure, and the radiator feed and return pipes, heater pipes, battery cable and clutch pipe which are all routed within the sill panels.
If the chassis is still true and an alignment can be carried out using only the factory adjustments that chassis, while not pretty, appears to still comply with the service manual.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
This can be argued over and over again... Let me ask you this, would you drive or let a family member drive this car with the way the chassis is now?

Fact is that the damage to this car is right on a bonded seam that lost its structural integrity from separation on impact...I wouldn't care of the suspension is still straight and true...how many people would want to drive this car the way it is?

Not sure that I fully agree with you cory.
The key points to consider are:
1. is the chassis still true? this can be assessed by measurement
2. is the damage extensive enough to prevent the specified suspension geometry being achieved?

The quote below is the relevant section of the service manual regarding dents in the chassis (with my bold emphasis).

If the chassis is still true and an alignment can be carried out using only the factory adjustments that chassis, while not pretty, appears to still comply with the service manual.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
This can be argued over and over again... Let me ask you this, would you drive or let a family member drive this car with the way the chassis is now?
I wouldn't buy it without a personal close inspection of the damage so no easy answer on that. But if I were to buy and restore any car it would be to a condition I'd be happy to let any member of my family drive/ride in it.

Fact is that the damage to this car is right on a bonded seam that lost its structural integrity from separation on impact...I wouldn't care of the suspension is still straight and true...how many people would want to drive this car the way it is?
I must be missing something because I can't see any seam separation from the photos nor can I see anything that has "lost its structural integrity" :shrug:

But as you say this can be argued over endlessly and pointlessly here - the only answer is to inspect the car and take it from there :) (and if it needs a new chassis I'd be the first to say so!).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Either way this is a good deal in my opinion. alot of the pieces on this car are in fine condition. The way my car is going i was thinking of snagging this just to stick in my garage for WHEN my transmission fails, or WHEN my next cylinder decides its kin to a russian nuclear power plant.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
So did he just place a front clam on without rebuilding and glueing on the crash structure?
In the ebay picts without the clam it looks like the crash structure is gone, I thought it took special glues and procedures to attach new ones and was really expensive? That bit up front is just KIND of important if you don't want to die !
See pict from the Sands Museum site below:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts