The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Elise was totaled because the dealer couldn't find a turn indicator (cannot make this up). Well, wonder of wonders, we found and replaced the broken indicator. The car is now back to original but we will have a salvage title. Is there any way to get it back to a clean title in North or South Carolina?

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
That is crazy

There are ways to wash a title, but I do not think that in the age of the internet, that is a wise thing to do.

I cannot see the upside of anyone allowing their vehicle to be totaled for essentially no reason.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Not legally. Having accidentally washed a title myself, it didn’t even stay clean after changing states. Honesty and good documentation should negate most of the issues with having the branded title. In the meantime, get an agreed value policy if it is not insured for the value of a clean title

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
wtf?

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
insurance companies do weird things... my sister has a miata with a NC salvage title because when someone slashed the soft top and ripped the face off the original radio/CD player when trying to steal said radio. .. insurance could not get a replacement OEM radio/CD player so they wrote it off... she got check, kept the car... bought new soft top, a hard top, after market radio...

·
Less is Better
2,626 Posts
Unbelievable. I would imagine that if properly documented, like pictures and work orders, you should be able to argue for something close to full market value for the car when going to sell. But it will always be somewhat diminished. Of two identical cars, the one with the salvaged title will always be second choice.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I assume the OP agreed to the process and accepted a check for the value of the car minus the buy back value?

That was a mistake. The car will forever be branded and worth less when sold.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
That was a mistake. The car will forever be branded and worth less when sold.
I disagree with this sentiment (but not the loss of future value) and here's why - he now has pocketed a considerable amount of cash. To sell the car at an appropriate price for a branded title just means he should net about the same as if this all never happened.

With numbers: Say he has a $30k car before the wreck. They value it at $20k after $10k of damage. If he has a $1k deductible, they give him $9k cash. Now he sells it for $25k because of the title - he just made $34k with a $30k car. I am sure his actual numbers vary from these, but the point is that the insurance company has already covered his future loss, so to try and avoid that future loss now is to double-dip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts