The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Lotus Hopeful
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this all began over a year ago when I drove an Evora S IPS and was amazed at its handling, ride quality, and overall grin factor. Worst mistake ever.... ;) Now I can't help comparing it to all of the other cars I've driven, which never quite stack up.

I'd love to own one, but unfortunately most of them are out of my price range (low $40k). However, I've been seeing some Evoras on Craigslist from Sherman Oaks that are listed as having a salvage title. I responded to one ad (about six months ago) and got pictures of it before they repaired it. Sure enough, the whole front clam was bashed in, with major suspension damage, but he said the subframe completely replaced.

And then I saw this one, which is in the color combo I'd want: 2011 Lotus Evora S Supercharged 2+0 sale or trade

I'm really leery of even making an offer on a salvaged vehicle, though, and have more questions than answers. How can I tell if the repair job was done well? Would hidden damage become a problem in the future? Is there any problem with registering a salvaged vehicle in California or Indiana (moving there soon for a new job.) And what about resale value? I've read the sticky in the "For Sale" forum about salvaged Eliges, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should know about the Evora in particular

I dunno, I keep trying to talk myself out of it, just with my gut feeling to stay away from anything wrecked. But then I remember aiming that Evora into a corner... :shift:

Any thoughts you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Unlike an Elise an Evora chassis can be fixed. They designed it to be more like a regular car and it has front and rear subframes that can be replaced in an accident. There was a story going around that when the crash tested the car they actually were able to reuse the same tub and replace the front and rear subframes.

As with replacing an Elise chassis, I'm sure it's the labor involved in fixing these is what makes them not worth fixing not necessarily the parts, so if someone had the time and facilities then it could be economically repaired.

If the car was rebuilt correctly and there's proof of how it was done, I would certainly entertain the idea of buying it. If you can prove it was done correctly or by a reputable re-builder then it should be fine but of course there's the chance that people cut a corner or missed something and problems can arise in the future. But that's the risk and why rebuilt cars sell for cheaper.

It is always going to have a rebuilt title so it's never going to be worth as much as a non branded title one. If you get it cheap then you should expect it to sell for cheap also;)

·
Premium Member
8,406 Posts
Car has 3 sections. If front frame section was replaced that is an ideal fix. See it in person with an EXPERT!! Make sure all airbags etc function (were replaced) etc. In skilled hands it could definitely be done but like said above, documentation means everything and of course, don't buy it for resale, buy it to drive the life out of it!!

GO FOR IT!! LIVE THE DREAM!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
$49,000 seems like a lot for a salvaged 2011. And even if they replaced the front subframe, you have to worry about how well they replaced all the parts that get installed onto that subframe. I'd be cautious.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
My pricing logic.

"New" 2011 with warranty is $55k. Supercharger add-on is $10k more. Take off $10k for used condition. Then take off $10k for rebuilt status and another $5k for salvage title.

I end up with $40k, though I guess someone will buy it for $45k.

·
Premium Member
8,406 Posts
What they ask and what you pay are entirely different! If you have the skills to know a car and suspension issues, alignment issues etc or have a mechanic with the skills to evaluate any issues that need to be sorted out, you'll be fine. I'm sending you a PM so the peanut gallery doesn't chime in! Can't do that , you need to set things up. Dominus may have had some different numbers than I did, but in the end its a low to mid 40's deal depending on what the PICTURES of the original damage show. A bent wheel and bumper replacement are no big deal BTW! For comparison , beginning of May , I pd 59980 for a new 2011 S with EVERY option including diamond wheels and suedetex interior!

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
that looks a bit like LCkitty's before he got cobbered.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,483 Posts
Yeah, 45 would be max in my mind. I'd like to see some pre-fix photos to understand what's in play here. I wonder if the front frame was pulled back or not (poss cracks and fatigue) OR if it was cosmetic only? I'd like to get under, pull the plates and see what's really gone on.
If serious, it is probably worth the flight $ to check it out. If leery at all, save for a straight up used one.

·
Lotus Hopeful
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice, everybody. I definitely wouldn't consider it for $49k--my budget is around $40 or $41k. But I figure there's always room for negotiations in Craigslist ads. ;)

Wow. $49k. or you could buy this non-S. non-salvage car for $46k. If you figure $10k for the S, then the salvage title only cuts the value of the car by $7k? I don't know about that. I realize to most people on this board, salvage doesn't mean much, but still, in the real world, it's a tough resell.
I've thought about a used NA, but the Evora I drove was an S and it felt like it had just the right amount of power. Not sure how I'd like it with 70 less...

·
Lotus Hopeful
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What they ask and what you pay are entirely different! If you have the skills to know a car and suspension issues, alignment issues etc or have a mechanic with the skills to evaluate any issues that need to be sorted out, you'll be fine. I'm sending you a PM so the peanut gallery doesn't chime in! Can't do that , you need to set things up. Dominus may have had some different numbers than I did, but in the end its a low to mid 40's deal depending on what the PICTURES of the original damage show. A bent wheel and bumper replacement are no big deal BTW! For comparison , beginning of May , I pd 59980 for a new 2011 S with EVERY option including diamond wheels and suedetex interior!
Hi brgelise, thanks for the help! PM's aren't up for me yet (apparently I need 10 posts before it's turned on)

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
In general, a fixed salvage car = 50% off a similarly equipped non salvage car.

Does he have photographs, documents and the shop manager available to talk to? Details of every nut & bolt of the repair process form start to finish? An alignment and weigh scale on all four corners? If not, 50% off

Considering 2013 Evora S's seem to sell for $65,000 +/- a 2011 with a salvage title is worth around $25,000.

Someone will be silly enough to pay more....but it won't be me.

·
Premium Member
8,406 Posts
In general, a fixed salvage car = 50% off a similarly equipped non salvage car.

Does he have photographs, documents and the shop manager available to talk to? Details of every nut & bolt of the repair process form start to finish? An alignment and weigh scale on all four corners? If not, 50% off

Considering 2013 Evora S's seem to sell for $65,000 +/- a 2011 with a salvage title is worth around $25,000.

Someone will be silly enough to pay more....but it won't be me.
MAYBE FOR A HYUNDAI BUT YOU'RE JUST BLOWIN SMOKE WITH THAT MENTALITY ON A LOW VOLUME VEHICLE

·
Registered
2,709 Posts

Yep, that's the high end for clean, repaired salvage Evora. I'm pretty desperate to get one though, so I'll pay as high as $28k.

I you have one, act fast, because I might not be feeling this generous for very long.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Crazy thing, I just spoke to this guy this morning. He actually has two 2011 evora S. This one and a dark grey I believe. Couldn't really tell from the bad pictures. Tomorrow I will be meeting him to look at both cars. We had talked about trading my M3 for his evora, which he agreed.

Even though I will still be meeting him tomorrow, I'm not 100% sure I will be pulling the trigger. None cars are registered. He said the red one passed brake and light check and the grey one hasn't done them. Last time I got a salvage car and it didn't have plates or registered, I feel I ended up doing more things just to get the plates as many things weren't correct. Both cars are out of state. The listing says Georgia but he said he wasn't exactly sure.

The red one had the accident on the drivers rear quarter panel and the grey was a front impact which he changed the chassis and front body panels. He did say he has all the receipts of what he changed. I guess he just copied and pasted the same wording on the ad because both of them mention the same description. The red is asking for $51k with 9k miles and grey $48k with 14k miles.

I asked him how were these cars put together as these cars are very delicate from my Exige experience. He mentioned, he got them from the auction and a buddy of his owns a body shop that put them together. Well see how it goes :) might or might not have one tomorrow. Lol

·
Lotus Hopeful
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, I'm surprised you were able to meet with him. I tried emailing and didn't hear anything back. But then again, I emailed him about the grey one more than 6 months ago, and dropped it because I thought the $54k he was asking then was insanely high for a car that had been smashed in that badly. Still have the Dropbox link with the pre-repair pics he sent if you want to see...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 25 Posts