The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Sound safe for what ? The only condition under which I would consider a salvage title is at a very cheap price and I intended to make a track car only out of it where there would be significant mods anyway.

Cars don't carry a salvage title for no reason. Insurance companies don't scrap a car because they enjoy it and they are not easy to re-sell.

But as they say it's your money.

Steve

·
Registered
933 Posts
not cheap enough...

I would buy a salvage for 20,000
At that price it would be hard to loose even if something was bad.

I got my 05 elise for 25,500 it had 30,000miles on it.
So if you look you will find...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yea Shady sounding, Thanks Mike for asking for me. I sent Mike that link questioning the "safe factor" as in should I even bother

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I couldnt find anything on that car... Looks ok.. But who knows..

·
Registered
225 Posts
Salvage

A yellow 06 Elise that was a flood car from AZ sold yesterday at auction for $18900. They drove the car in and announced; "no problems with engine." Now that would be a good car to make into a track car.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
:crazyeyes:eek::eek: Yikes. Stay Away !!

·
Banned
874 Posts
Yea I've been watching ebay for a long time for a good fix-it project and ALL of them are too expensive. After you repair it AND sell it at a price as if it wasn't salvaged, you wouldn't get more than 3-4K profit. and thats if you do the labor YOURSELF since Lotus labor is VERY expensive. This deal isn't bad compared to others I've seen but it's still xpensive. If someone REALLY cared about saving a couple of K's, this would be it.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
"This is a salvage titled vehicle, but that is just a piece of paper, this is a fully functioning Lotus Elise at a fraction of the cost"rotfl

True 9/10 is a fraction ......

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
How come the advice or general consensus is to make a track only car out of salvaged car? I would think the track would be the most important place to make sure everything is as good as can be where maximum stresses to the frame and all systems can be applied. Seems far more dangerous than just putzing around on the street. Am I missing something? I guess it's just me, but I'd say to make a street only car out of it and get a non wrecked one for the track.:shrug: To me, my safety is worth more than a few saved dollars.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
How come the advice or general consensus is to make a track only car out of salvaged car?
...i think because dedicated track cars generally bought with the intention to tear down and rebuild as required anyway...basically, if you're already planning to spend that much money on labor and inspection regardless, the minimal extra parts on a good salvage could turn it into a pretty nice deal...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
When the lifted the car and inspected if fro beneath, did they bother to remove the bottom panels? :shrug:

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I think someone near me bought that car. Guess, like so many others, he didnt know what he might be getting into. I also dont think the vast majority of these cheap salvages cars are going to people who have the money to go through them and track them. They're going to people with limited budgets who dont know any better. A Lotus is a normal car, right?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
When I clicked on the link it said Bidding Ended. How much did it go for since everyone is saying it was too much?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts