The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I love those things..they always give me chills.....i'm easily sucked into any type of sports "lore"..anyways.

IS there anyway to "own" these in a high quality or something so I can watch them over and over? I think they are GREAT..and i'm no fan of that guy...never was.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...we always watch the BBC coverage, so i've never seen them, but you have my curiosity - if you find a link, please post it...

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Yeah, those are great :up:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess he's been doing them for a while, here is an old one I found for Monaco GP.
YouTube - F1 Monaco GP

It's nowhere as slick and passionate as the ones I've been seeing this year, i'll keep searching. The one from Spa this morning REALLY got my blood pumping. It even got my girlfriend excited about the race.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I guess I'm on the flip side of this.

I like the info, but hate the presentation of it. I have begun to fast forward my recording when that bit comes on. :(

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I guess he's been doing them for a while, here is an old one I found for Monaco GP.
...the context is certainly nice to have, but its production comes off a bit cliché for my tastes...by contrast, the BBC production team has been pushing consistently outstanding coverage this year, and they aren't afraid to break out from the mold from time to time and have a little fun with it...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U1gKELNjkXk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U1gKELNjkXk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
It's nowhere as slick and passionate as the ones I've been seeing this year, i'll keep searching. The one from Spa this morning REALLY got my blood pumping. It even got my girlfriend excited about the race.
...by all means, please do post anything you find - i'd like to see them...

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Not a criticism directed at the OP, just a different opinion. Here's mine:

When Sam Posey took Jackie Stewart's place at ABC his dramatic style of announcing always seemed forced and a "production" rather than reporting. The "Up Close and Personal" school of ABC.

These "television motor sports production values" permeate racing today. For example, could we watch the end of a race without cutting away to see the wife/girlfriend/family or team members? :mad:

As an additional personal editorial comment; Steve Matchett (sp?), while knowledgeable in technical details, is to me one of the most grating commentators and makes watching F1 almost unbearable. "Kimi Raikonnen should be penalized for running wide..." "Push, push, push!" Shoot me in the head, please! :crazyeyes

Just my unsolicited opinion and worth little if anything.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
As an additional personal editorial comment; Steve Matchett (sp?), while knowledgeable in technical details, is to me one of the most grating commentators and makes watching F1 almost unbearable. "Kimi Raikonnen should be penalized for running wide..." "Push, push, push!" Shoot me in the head, please! :crazyeyes

Just my unsolicited opinion and worth little if anything.
I happen to love Steve. To each his own. :clap:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
For me it's all about a cool little presentation. I have nothing to compare it to, but the music is dramatic, and the story he tells is neat to me, even if it sounds contrived.

I HATED that guy back when I used to watch and care about "Cart/IndyCar" whatever it was called back in the day when it was awesome. I just remember him seemingly being very pushy know'it'all.

I just think they are neat....and I like how it sets up the race.....and like I said I just thought the spa' one was particularly good....

I'm bringing down a few torrents of the race right now so if they are from a US broadcast the'll have'm.

So to sum up...I like cool little intros better than no intro at all, even if they aren't the best intros of all time. ;-D The BBC one, while fun, wasn't dramatic enough :-D I need lots of killer editing, graphic overlays all perfectly tied to music, etc... ;-D

I think Sam Posey is kind of F'd up these days as well with some disease or terminal illness...poor dude.

I really like the Speed dudes at this point, but again I have to point out I'm super easy to suck into anything. That Steve Machete dude, I like him, he's at least smart and doesn't say things that are wrong. And often he points things out to me that I find interesting. I like his "push boy PUSH" because I'm usually saying the same thing while I'm watching qualifying.

I agree that the US broadcasting is more about the mom and the dad. I was watching MOTO GP qualifying for Indy this weekend and instead of following Rossi and the others fighting for pole I saw ENDLESS shots of Nickey Haden...or his bike....or Collin Edwards father in the pits. I guess they figure, incorrectly for me, that US fans care about the US riders.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I agree that the US broadcasting is more about the mom and the dad. I was watching MOTO GP qualifying for Indy this weekend and instead of following Rossi and the others fighting for pole I saw ENDLESS shots of Nickey Haden...or his bike....or Collin Edwards father in the pits. I guess they figure, incorrectly for me, that US fans care about the US riders.
I watched Moto GP on Fox today and thought it was the worst race coverage I had ever seen! At one point, I think it was 6 laps from the end, they showed 2 minutes of non-stop milling around in the stands and then interviewed NASCAR drivers for another minute. That was a full 3 minutes of b*llsh*t during the middle of a race! :mad: And, to top it off, it was all happening immediately after a commercial break. :shrug:

I always hate when F1 coverage switches to FOX for 2 or 3 races in the middle of the season and the commentators dumb everything down. I do, however, think that Speed's commentating crew do a decent job considering what they are working with. I don't care if they get things wrong every once and a while because I believe that they are passionate about racing which is refreshing given some of the other race series commentators.

Hell, I'm just glad they broadcast the F1 races in the US.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I like the regular two British commentators that do MotoGP and the WSB commentators are entertaining as well. The main WSB guy gets so excited you can tell he's an enthusiast.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YouTube - Sam Posey on F1 2006

Here is one of Poseys pieces after the end of the 06' season...pretty cool "That's a lot of glory, up for grabs"...I like that. I think he's just a bad narrator...they should get Sean Connery to say the same things and it would sound more bad ass, or maybe Jason Statham....

My DVR didn't get the Indy race today for some reason, maybe I'm glad it didn't.

And good point on the SPEED guys, all I ask is that the commentators are passionate. I enjoyed listening to Bob Varsha tell the story about how him and a few buddies "broke" into Spa one night, and how even in the dark with no cars it had emotional weight. And Steve Machette, obviously has a car "boner"...he was almost apologetic in his approach to that "Always Ferrari" special. I can't fault him for that.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I am really enjoying the F1 coverage and racing this season on Speed. Oh and I do like Steve Matchett I am reading a book he wrote "Life in the fast lane".

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
The BBC one, while fun, wasn't dramatic enough :-D I need lots of killer editing, graphic overlays all perfectly tied to music, etc... ;-D
...heh - here's how the BBC opened the season in australia...
(best make certain your subwoofer's at full power)

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DYTwmKOHcGY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DYTwmKOHcGY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I am really enjoying the F1 coverage and racing this season on Speed. Oh and I do like Steve Matchett I am reading a book he wrote "Life in the fast lane".
machett is great on speed! and that is an awesome book!

i agree with ...m... that bbc stuff is brilliant!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts