The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there no stopping the Big Red machine this year? Funny in the interview how JPM complained about getting moved off the course, it's no fun being on the receiving end is it JPM?
What the heck I still love watching F1.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Is there no stopping the Big Red machine this year?
Nope. I think Schumy will wrap up another one.

Although predictable, I still like watching F1 as well, mostly for the spectacle. I do wish there was more 'in car' video. I live for the lap demo just prior to the race.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Sadly,
Gave up on F1 years ago. I tune in to races from time to time, but seems very little real wheel to wheel racing. The winner is often determined by pit stop strategy.

I like petit LeMans and Lemans sports car racing far more now. But even in modern sports car racing alot of the excitement has been technologically eliminated (traction control, auto gearboxes etc>)

Chris

·
purveyor of lightness
4,160 Posts
Either Michael should:

(a) Retire after this season

(b) Give up 2 engineers / pit crew to the slowest teams after every race he wins - it would be funny near the end of the season when only 2 guys are running around the car changing tires and refilling the gas tank... ;)

(c) Drive a detuned car - naaah that wouldn't slow him down

(d) Take a couple hits of cartoon acid before each race - just to make it interesting - "....and Michael's driving on the grass singing to himself, waving to the other drivers..."

(e) Retire after this season

Domination is fine and all that but it's getting almost as irritating as the Chicago Bulls several years ago.

I love it that Jenson Button is doing so well this year - he really deserves it.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Yes Schumacher is just toooo good (and Ferrari/Fiat's budget is just tooo large), relative to the other teams. I love watching him drive but it's really not healthy for the formula, to have one team so dominant. This is what killed IMSA's GTP back a decade or more ago(Toyota's dominance). Schumacher is always having to talk up how things could change, it's really close, etc., but everyone knows the real score.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Hmm, my suggestion (impractical though it is): make the season champion drive for the lowest ranking constructor the following year. It'd be exciting to see what MS could do with a Minardi.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
So I have a question for those people who know about F1: How close are the two ferrari cars to each other? Is schumacher that much better than barrichello?

My (novice) suggestion to make the races a bit more exciting is to take the points awarded in the previous race, and add 1/10th of a sec to the qualifying time for each point. Then you'll get some more passing at least in the begining.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Oh, and on dropping tracks from the list, why not cycle tracks in and out. Have some that are every year, and for the less popular (but historic) tracks, have them every other year. Seems a shame they are talking about dropping san marino.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Yeah, I'm a huge Tifosi, but even I am getting tired of Ferrari's ongoin dominance. On the other hand, how cool is it to see Bar and Renault doing so well? Nice to see some shakeup in the #2 and #3 spots anyway. Too bad no one can bring game to Ferrari/Schumacher.

I'm not sure if I think that Michael should retire though. I'd rather see Kimi, Jenson or Alonso beat him in another car.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Evl said:
So I have a question for those people who know about F1: How close are the two ferrari cars to each other? Is schumacher that much better than barrichello?

My (novice) suggestion to make the races a bit more exciting is to take the points awarded in the previous race, and add 1/10th of a sec to the qualifying time for each point. Then you'll get some more passing at least in the begining.
The cars are identical in every respect, except of course the driver decides how his car is set-up (in consultation with the engineers and mechanics), so he gets final choice and determines suspension settings, tire choices etc (AFAIK). So yes, Schumacher IS that much better than Barrichello, but Barrichello is still a very very good driver, have no doubt.

BTW, I thought the first lap of the race was great (duel between Montoya and Schumacher, etc) , bit of a snooze thereafter. Still, the worst F-1 race is still better than the best NASCAR race, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
mikester said:
The cars are identical in every respect, except of course the driver decides how his car is set-up (in consultation with the engineers and mechanics), so he gets final choice and determines suspension settings, tire choices etc (AFAIK). So yes, Schumacher IS that much better than Barrichello, but Barrichello is still a very very good driver, have no doubt.
In that case: wow. I'll stop whining about how ferrari always wins and just hope that more drivers come up that are as good (or close). :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts