The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - in a jam to the extent that my oil interval is rapidly approaching, and I have to drive to Kansas. Originally it was going to happen in Kansas, but I have been driving the car too much :) , and I would be 750 miles over interval. So my first oil change is here..and now.
I have read, and read. Sands Museum post shows this pic of the car up on jackstands.
My question is - is this the correct hole to put the jackstand in? Did not look right to me - so I thought I'd ask
BTW - since my flat top stands are not here yet - I will be using the stands i have - which are identical to the ones shown in this Sands tutorial. This will be my first rear lift, I do have a jack helper that I have never used.
My goals are:
Don't get hurt.
Don't drop the car or get it hurt.
Get the oil changed.

Attachments

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Well, I've never jacked my car through those holes before. I always use the marked locations and very carefully line up the placement.

FWIW, lightweight plastic ramps are inexpensive and work best for oil changes. Back up carefully on to the ramps and place good chalks under both sides of the front tires.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
+1 on the ramps

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks -
Actually he jacked from the midpoint, got under there with just the jack supporting, dropped the undertray, then lowered down onto stands - and it just looked wrong to me setting the car down on the stand in the hole. But maybe I'll go grab some ramps, and use the jack helper to raise/lower on/off the ramps. That supposedly works well, and no risking driving off the ramps since you are just sliding them in from the sides.
But what about that stand "in the hole"? Anyone? Is that a par 3?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wouldn't put a jackstand there.

The photo would actually have the jackstand resting under the fuel tank. It should actually be placed behind there which would place it under a cross-member. Point C in the following drawing.

In fairness to the photo it looks like it is not sitting on the jackstand, but is lowered to let the oil drain.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup - i was looking at the lift points in the manual, and perhaps misconstrued the pic. Confused the hell out of me. Back on track now. Thanks.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
I use ramps for oil changes that way the jack stands are not in my way. Plus I am paranoid. You can use the jack helper to raise and lower onto ramps, or use the mid point to jack and then lower one side onto a ramp and then do the other side.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
But maybe I'll go grab some ramps, and use the jack helper to raise/lower on/off the ramps. That supposedly works well, and no risking driving off the ramps since you are just sliding them in from the sides.
If you are worried about driving off the ramps simply measure the distance from the back side of the front tire to the back side of the rear tire (wheel base measurement), then measure that distance from the back of the ramps and place your chalks as hard stops... that way you'll hit your chalk stops exactly as you reach the back of the ramps.:up:

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are worried about driving off the ramps simply measure the distance from the back side of the front tire to the back side of the rear tire (wheel base measurement), then measure that distance from the back of the ramps and place your chalks as hard stops... that way you'll hit your chalk stops exactly as you reach the back of the ramps.:up:
that is actually quite brilliant. Thank you. I'm hitting Autozone tomorrow and will probably pick up whatever ramps they have lying around. Don't really have time at the moment to chance the shipping on race ramps or rhinos.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use ramps for oil changes that way the jack stands are not in my way. Plus I am paranoid. You can use the jack helper to raise and lower onto ramps, or use the mid point to jack and then lower one side onto a ramp and then do the other side.
thank you for the midpoint option. You rock.
And I'm paranoid too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Chocks, not chalks.

and most people including myself have had good results with rhino ramps - fairly cheap, lightweight, and are low profile enough for our cars.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I will be the one voice in the wilderness and say I use jack point Delta, but then, I am a big guy, and don't like the way the ramps block side to side egress. Plus, I am about the only person who ever had a ramp fail (collapse on one side) on him (with a light car), Jack stands are very stout (flatjacks) and not the sheet metal or plastic construction used for modern ramps. My life is worth an extra 15 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
3,968 Posts
that is actually quite brilliant. Thank you. I'm hitting Autozone tomorrow and will probably pick up whatever ramps they have lying around. Don't really have time at the moment to chance the shipping on race ramps or rhinos.
Don't just get any ramp - you might get one meant for a 4WD truck!

Double check that you get a ramp that allows the lowness of the car to go up - my 30 year old ramps work with my 2007 Focus, but not the 2006 Mustang or the 88 Esprit - the front valance contacts the ramp before the tire does.

. I have to put 2 ft sections of 1.5" thick wood the get the front of the car to clear.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
FWIW, my Rhino Ramps are rated to 4000 lbs per pair. I figure that's enough margin for the Lotus. I also have a ForcedFed CF splitter on the front and it clears by just enough.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The only reason you would place a jack stand there is if you were trying to remove the fuel tank. As far as I can tell, in that picture the entire back half of the car is being held up by the screws that attach the fuel tank to the frame.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
jack stand should go where the owners manual indicates: on the smooth metal, and its will very slightly crease because there is a beam running behind it. (along the edge) thats where you want to be. the photo is "wrong".

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jack stand should go where the owners manual indicates: on the smooth metal, and its will very slightly crease because there is a beam running behind it. (along the edge) thats where you want to be. the photo is "wrong".
Thanks - it looked like a "Par 3" to me also. Good chip though. he got it in the hole :)

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only reason you would place a jack stand there is if you were trying to remove the fuel tank. As far as I can tell, in that picture the entire back half of the car is being held up by the screws that attach the fuel tank to the frame.
I like my fuel tank where it is....

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
FWIW, my Rhino Ramps are rated to 4000 lbs per pair. I figure that's enough margin for the Lotus. I also have a ForcedFed CF splitter on the front and it clears by just enough.
1 Elise per ramp, but made in China? by people working 96 hour work weeks...(I'm just guessing - but if they are made in the the USA, by people working 96 hour work weeks... i apologize)

So - I'm going to put it up on Rhino ramps w/jackstands too with my hickory post and beam 8x12 hardwood scraps under the frame for safety in case of simultaneous failure of the ramps and jacks. It's going to look like a kid's fort by the time I have it up. The wood alone is good for 5 tons.
I'm heading out to town hall right now to get my building permit.... :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts