The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find specifics, so I'll ask!

Did anyone who installed an oil pressure gauge "remote" install the oil pressure sending unit to eliminate vibration concerns, or is installation straight into the sandwich plate not a big issue on these engines?

Thanks!
Ryan

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Ryan,

I considered a remote installation because of angst about vibration, but, instead, I decided to install the sending unit straight into the sandwich plate. That was 8,000 miles and seven track days ago, and there has been no signs of vibration stress on the two sending units (oil temp and pressure).

Though, concern regarding vibration stress is why I switched from the GReddy plate (which requires NPT adapters to fit sending units to the plate's BSPT threads) to another plate that is threaded NPT.

Greg
aka Lotusmotion

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I had the Greddy plate and it was fine for thousands of miles and at least a year... presumably still is with the new owner.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great. Thanks guys. Everything's installed.

Tough one though: one of the hardest parts of the job was tying the light switch into the gauges. Works great, but after seeing them, I would have preferred to wire the light feed straight off of the 12V power; it looks better with the lights one, even during the day!! Phantom II gauges from AutoMeter.

Thanks again guys, particulary you, Greg. I wouldn't have started this without your sage advice.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
RoadDad, the replacement sandwich plate was "GloShift" (I recall), which I bought from the vendor's e-Bay site. There are several LT posts on the sandwich plate matter.

On inspection and comparison to the GReddy, the Gloshift is identical in every way (quality & dimensions) except for two differences: the feature that I wanted....ports with NPT threads (instead of BSPT); and, one feature that I didn't expect...one o-ring on the mating surface instead of two on the GReddy.

I got comfortable with the single o-ring feature pretty quickly (an oil filter has just one seal).

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Ryan,

Though, concern regarding vibration stress is why I switched from the GReddy plate (which requires NPT adapters to fit sending units to the plate's BSPT threads) to another plate that is threaded NPT.

Greg
aka Lotusmotion
Hey Greg,

You just needed to get the correct gauges (with the appropriate sending units --no adapters needed). :)

We miss you at the track. Hope to see you soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Jack...gotta love those Defi gauges...NICE! Good thing the Defi's sending units are BSPT threaded so they fit into the GReddy plate. :cool:

Ha! Having switched to an NPT threaded sandwich plate, the Autometer NPT threaded sending units screw right in without adapters. :clap:

Track days...yes, the fun and camaraderie are sorely missed right now. I have been grinding away and making progress on the work front and hope to make a jail break soon! :nanner2:

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Looking for oil pressure and oil temp setup myself.

I have the Moroso oil pan and was planning to use the extra port on that for oil temp. I also noticed there appears to be a port on the factory plate/oil filter unit for pressure? Does this sound correct?

Is the Moroso NPT and the factory plate BSPT? Would seem strange to have BSPT on a Toyota engine?

Would appreciate any guidance on this for an 07 Exige S. I would like to hook this into my IQ3 dash.

Sorry if I seem clueless, cause I am when it comes to this stuff.

Any help appreciated, Rob.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I have the Moroso oil pan and was planning to use the extra port on that for oil temp. I also noticed there appears to be a port on the factory plate/oil filter unit for pressure? Does this sound correct?
No. I'm pretty sure that's a (air) bleed screw, take another look and see if that make sense (or post a pic).

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
So I'll need a NPT pressure plate -- like the Greddy? Oil Filter - Adapter Plate

Does anyone have the specific details on which Greddy plate works on the Lotus?

FYI, the IQ3 VNet sensors use 1/8" NPT.

Now what to do about water temp port??

Thanks again for all the input.

Rob.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
The GReddy plate has BSPT ports. I know this from first-hand experience. It will require adapters if you want to attach NPT threaded sensor units that come with most US made gauges.

Defi gauges, per Jack's thead above, have sensor units with BSPT threads and will match right up to the GReddy plate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts