The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I went ahead and deleted my sandwich plate. I bought the $9 part from Toyota and installed it, did an oil change and removed the sandwich plate from the car.

However, I didn't remove the lines or the stock oil cooler yet, that's a task for another time. For the moment I sealed them off and zip tied them out of the way until I can get to removing them completely.

Had a question though, couldn't I remove the oil cooler from the front, remove the lines and then re-locate the stock oil cooler to the driver's side wheel arch/intake area? Thereby re-using the existing lines, but fitted with TurboPhil's DIY line fittings for some long-term peace of mind or in the event I decide to track the car?

The point in deleting the oil cooler system was 1, to save weight (when they're fully removed obviously) and 2, to remove the "worry" factor from the stock oil line fittings eventually going South.

I don't mind putting the cooler back in the equation but I want it relocated and I guess I'm wondering if the stock cooler is a safe bet, or if at that point I might as well pony up the cash for a Setrab cooler.

Thanks, and for those interested, the sandwich plate delete procedure is pretty straight-forward and simple.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Did you hook up the coolant lines.... I assume you got the "liquid to oil" cooler from the stock toyota celica

Someone can correct me...

The stock lotus "air to oil" cooler may not be as efficient at the side location because the side mounted location gets less air flow and also soaking from the engine heat ...

I think ppl have been using bigger cooler for the side...

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you hook up the coolant lines.... I assume you got the "liquid to oil" cooler from the stock toyota celica

Someone can correct me...

The stock lotus "air to oil" cooler may not be as efficient at the side location because the side mounted location gets less air flow and also soaking from the engine heat ...

I think ppl have been using bigger cooler for the side...
I thought the issue (one of them) with the front mounted air-to-oil cooler was that the oil temps *rarely* if ever get up to a decent temp, because of all the pressure needed to drive the oil through the system, the distance and the fact that it was running at the nose instead of closer to the engine.

In other words, I thought a little added heat would be a good thing, no?

And no, no oil cooler at all in the current configuration. Just imagine the stock Lotus config with one oil cooler, minus the sandwich plate (totally removed) and the send/return oil lines sealed off temporarily until they're totally removed. That's the current setup and my understanding is, that it should run fine in this way, provided I don't track it.

Even then, I could have sworn I heard people say that it would still potentially be alright. I'm just thinking about putting the stock oil cooler to use rather than buying a new one - albeit in a much simpler/shorter/lighter configuration.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
my input would be that some stock coolers?( not many) have failed. While most failures are fittings related, there have been issues with a couple of coolers "weeping " oil. Don't know if that is true, or just misdiagnosis by the tech or owner.
I think you are right about the oil temps. They run too cold generally, and I hear you want them up around 250 degrees for best engine performance. As far as airflo - you can mod your wheel liner "ala BOE" for additional airflo as on my car. I'd spend the bucks on the cooler. I'm trying to figure out an oil temp gauge right now - just because I'm curious.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Anyone aware of a temp controlled valve (like a antifreeze T Stat) that would work for the oil lines? It would circulate though a bypass line till it was hot enough and then through the cooler.

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
Anyone aware of a temp controlled valve (like a antifreeze T Stat) that would work for the oil lines? It would circulate though a bypass line till it was hot enough and then through the cooler.
That's how the car is stock, FWIW....

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'll be doing this delete on Thursday. I've also considered relocating the stock coolers, but if it's being relocated to the engine bay I'm thinking I might want something a bit bigger to diffuse the heat better.

·
Registered
191 Posts
In other words, I thought a little added heat would be a good thing, no?

I believe you are correct based on reading into why my intake cam wiped at 20k miles. Putting aside speculation of soft material in some of the cams, oil needs to be at operating temp to provide full protection. So throwing the potential "soft" cams back in you certainly want your oil up to temp quickly and have it stay there. Oil takes way longer to heat up than coolant and I can varify it does take a considerable amount of time in the Elise basd on my experience with installing replacement oil lines. I definitely wait a much longer time to get further up the rev range while waiting for the car to come up to temp after installing the new head. The majority of my drives are under 20 mins which means a good chunk of the fun I get out of driving my Elise is taken up waiting for proper oil temps. Now, the amount of driving I do where I get benefits from my oil coolers? Don't know.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The more I read about this, the more I think that I'll leave the oil-filter-only as is now. I guess an A to B comparison would be a good thing but I'm not hooking up the cooler again. I would be curious about:

Oil pressure with stock cooler
Oil temp at operating with stock cooler

both of those with just the oil filter and no cooler.

My current understanding is that the oil cooler in front does a couple bad things with respect to the cams (aside from blowing out lines at the clamp). It cools the oil too much (once the thermostat opens) and it reduces the oil pressure. My car is and will always be a street car, so that's guiding what I'm doing with it. If I decide to hit the track again, I'd probably take my son's newly acquired CRX.

·
ky13
556 Posts
I'll be doing this mod shortly; I did the same to the oil cooler on my S2000 with no noticeable increase in oil temps. One less part/hose to worry about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts