The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am re-installing my stock sandwich plate, finishing up with a conversion to an oil cooler in the passenger side air scoop. Anybody know the correct torque for putting it back on? Also anybody know where I can pick up a new gasket (besides Lotus.........)? Thanks so much.........

(Maybe I missed it, but I could not find this info in any existing threads.........)

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am re-installing my stock sandwich plate, finishing up with a conversion to an oil cooler in the passenger side air scoop. Anybody know the correct torque for putting it back on? Also anybody know where I can pick up a new gasket (besides Lotus.........)? Thanks so much.........

(Maybe I missed it, but I could not find this info in any existing threads.........)
Anyone know the torque for sandwich plate? And part number/ where to buy plate bolt fitting?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I have some photos from before I put the clam back on. I will try to dig them up & post them later this week...............

It is a 25 row narrow Earl's cooler mounted with hoses off the top with some very simple homemade brackets (1 inch wide, 1/8th inch aluminum stock). The bottom is bolted directly to where the AC hoses used to be mounted to the frame (I have a surge tank there now). Then one bracket to the backstay for the rollbar, and another to the clam bolt/bodywork laterally. All are dampened with rubber grommets and a slightly oversized piece of foam wedged under the cooler between the bottom of it and the sidepod foam. Also used a brass insert in the sidepod foam with glue for a bolt to anchor it in there on the outside end. As it turns out with the clam reinstalled I could probably have gone a bit larger on the cooler, maybe 32 row (this should work fine tho; the elise as it turns out doesn't need as much cooler at they put on it; that said it will get a track test on a nice hot day this september!). I also put an aluminum side plate in the gap between the outside edge of the cooler and the body work to better force the airflow thru the cooler.

BTW I researched further the sandwich plate torque in an old toyota engine manual. They show a sandwich plate on an oil cooler equipped version with a torque of 58 ft/lbs. Seemed a bit much to me. I went to 45 ft/lbs & it seems to be fine. It's been up to full temp a bunch of times with no leaks........

Hope this helps..................

1 - 4 of 4 Posts