The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I flipped a coin trying to decide between posting here in the California region and the Meets and Events section. You can see how that ended up.

Anyway, I lead a non-denominational car-lovers drive the last Sunday of the month. Attendance is a mix but initially aimed at Honda S2000 owners so that is the majority who show up. Our only requirement is that no one drives like an idiot. This is a seriously spirited drive and we definitely aren't gathering any moss, but I stress safety in a big way because we are, after all, on public roads with all that such entails and we want neither altercations nor any negative attention drawn to ourselves. For instance, if you cross the double yellow for anything other than saving your life, everyone else on the drive will hate you. :no:

I'm relatively new here on this forum, none of you know me yet, and I don't even own a Lotus at this point, but I wanted to extend the invitation anyway. Those who have read my intro post know I'm presently researching the Elise and am considering purchasing if the right one comes along. In the meantime, I'm still enjoying my current play car. :nanner:

Here are some specifics:
October EOM Drive
Sunday, October 28, 2012
Meet at 9:00am, "driver's meeting" and route discussion at 9:30am, roll out at 9:40am

>>> NOTE: Winter meet up time now in effect.

Vons on PCH
at the corner of Sunset Blvd and Pacific Coast Highway
17380 Sunset Blvd
Pacific Palisades, CA 90272
we meet toward the west side of the lot nearest the Starbucks

We don't post the route in advance, but I do provide route sheets at the meet up location (and blue painter's tape so you can tape it to your dash if you don't have any passenger seat ballast to hold onto it for you). I do not like losing people so we designate a lead and a tail, and if the turn-out for the drive is high we split into two groups for safety reasons. Each lead and tail has a walkie-talkie so that we don't lose anyone. Attendees who own walkie-talkie style radios are encouraged to bring theirs to listen in.

The drive is generally split into two halves. First half: After initial meet up, a little bit of socializing for about 20-30 minutes while we wait for everyone to arrive, and the quickie driver's meeting (affectionately referred to as the Safety Nazi Speech), we then take off to drive some cool roads that lead us up to the top of The Snake on Mulholland. We pit there for pics of cool cars, possible Leno sighting, and scenic views, then head to lunch via some more twisties (usually the Pavilions shopping Center near Point Dume at about 11:30; there is a Subway sandwich shop there, a pizza place, pastries shop, or you can bring something light to eat with you). Second half: After lunch we do an extended drive from the vicinity of Encinal Canyon through the Santa Monica mountains and ending eventually at PCH in Malibu at the bottom of one of THE coolest little driving roads known to man (or woman). Drive typically ends around 2pm-ish. Second half is generally accepted by those who have attended in the past as the best part of the drive.
:shift:

There is one road that we cover during the drive (Latigo Canyon) which is a bit rough in spots as you get closer to PCH. Stock ride height should have no major issues (other than it being a small section of less fun), but if your car has been lowered, forget it. You will bottom and it's not recommended. In that case, you could skip Latigo and you can proceed via less twistie but still scenic roads directly to the lunch spot.

Turn out for these drives range from 5-20 cars. Anyone interested in more info, please let me know. I can also provide links to the threads on the S2000 forums about this drive where pictures and commentary can be found.

·
Registered
954 Posts
If it weren't at the same we meet to watch the F1 race, I'd be so in!

FYI, I've driven Latigo in my Lotus. It's not fun, but it's doable. I didn't enjoy it, so I don't think I've driven that road in well over a year.

·
Registered
252 Posts
through the Santa Monica mountains and ending eventually at PCH in Malibu at the bottom of one of THE coolest little driving roads known to man (or woman).
Tuna Canyon! ...I think!

·
Registered
252 Posts
FYI, I've driven Latigo in my Lotus. It's not fun, but it's doable.
Agreed....but I don't think I'd consider driving it again in the Exige. VERY rough!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it weren't at the same we meet to watch the F1 race, I'd be so in!

FYI, I've driven Latigo in my Lotus. It's not fun, but it's doable. I didn't enjoy it, so I don't think I've driven that road in well over a year.
Ah. Bummer on the time conflict. :-(

Latigo is great in the sections that aren't rough. And in the sections where it *is* rough, I find myself thinking how wonderful a road it must have been when it was in better condition. It's distressing that they haven't resurfaced it like they have on so many of the other roads in that immediate area. :-( Maybe the locals are trying to discourage the kind of traffic that a smooth twisty road tends to attract.

Agreed....but I don't think I'd consider driving it again in the Exige. VERY rough!
Understood. That's why I mentioned it up front in the post here. Lotus vehicles are not exactly known for significant amounts of ground clearance. Elsewhere that I post, I don't usually bring it up, but I do discuss it at one of the stop points before we head down it. Basically I just tell everyone that once we get into that area, back out of it and take the rest of it slow. Gives your brakes a chance to cool off anyway. The guys in the lowered cars always have a bit of a tough time of it though. I'm fine in mine, but I still take it slow at that point because there is no point in beating up the car (or me).

I've considered dropping that road from the monthly drive on several occasions, but I always come back around to the fact that the top portion of it is pretty danged sweet.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Tuna Canyon! ...I think!
I don't think I'd consider driving it again in the Exige. VERY rough!
Agreed on both counts. I love Tuna Canyon; one of my favorite roads. It's kind of the antithesis of Latigo.

Except this set of tire marks on Tuna has always made me curious about what happened. -eek-

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
With Nitrons or other aftermarket suspension, Latigo isn't too bumpy. Or at least not as bad as everyone says. May not have been on the really bad sections though, given how scared people are of it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re the pic of the skid marks: I know *exactly* where you are talking about. I recall the first time I saw them and I literally laughed out loud. You can hear me comment on the video, "Ohhhhh, I'll bet THAT hurt!" I think I shall refrain from posting the video though... probably for the same reasons heavyweight mentions portions of his video are um, er, "sped up."

I refer to the third stop sign on Tuna as the checkered flag and the rest of the road as the cool down lap. It's too bumpy down there anyway, and yeah, the brakes need time to cool off.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
those tire marks must be recent. haven't seen those before.

Tuna cyn is my favorite hands down. It's like a short badass coaster ride (ie batman).

I wouldn't dare take any other car than the Lotus. dangerous road. I'm used to it now, but only after I've driven it so many times.

don't like Latigo. I always get a headache there. Also a couple spots close to PCH side that you have to crawl over otherwise you will smash the suspension.

·
Registered
954 Posts
those tire marks must be recent. haven't seen those before.
Nope. That pic is over a year old. I drove Tuna a few months ago, and the marks are still there, but have gotten much fainter.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Re the pic of the skid marks: I know *exactly* where you are talking about. I recall the first time I saw them and I literally laughed out loud. You can hear me comment on the video, "Ohhhhh, I'll bet THAT hurt!" I think I shall refrain from posting the video though... probably for the same reasons heavyweight mentions portions of his video are um, er, "sped up."

I refer to the third stop sign on Tuna as the checkered flag and the rest of the road as the cool down lap. It's too bumpy down there anyway, and yeah, the brakes need time to cool off.
:D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe I will just skip through to the lunch spot?
That's completely doable. We stop at the overlook above the Snake before we head to Latigo. Once we take off from the Overlook, you could easily just skip Latigo and head straight down Kanan to PCH. Once you see the route sheet, it will be obvious where we are going. If you do that, I just ask that you leave the Overlook after everyone else so that no one accidentally follows you. As the organizer, it's a big deal to me to run a safe, tight, and enjoyable drive, and to make sure we never lose anyone along the way.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have had that happen where people started following who they wanted to without checking who was going where.
Yeah. These things can turn into a giant fuster cluck if not organized carefully.

Weather should be gorgeous. But since the sun isn't rising until after 7am now, I am pushing the meet time to 9am for safety reasons (long shadows, deer activity, damp roads from morning dew and low temps). See you all Sunday.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
damn would like to go, but can't....
let me know when the next one is

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
damn would like to go, but can't....
let me know when the next one is
Sure. No problem. :-D

... I lead a non-denominational car-lovers drive the last Sunday of the month.
Next one is Sunday November 25 (unless I move it because of Thanksgiving, although I currently have no plans to be out of town then). I called it the EOM drive because it's the last Sunday of the month every month. That stated, I am considering changing things up a bit in 2013 so it might become the EOQ (end of quarter) drive or the OMO (odd month out) drive. I don't know. Or maybe I'll just keep it the way it is.

I've been doing this for about 2.5 years. It's become a nasty little habit. Some habits are good and some habits are not. I haven't decided how I feel about this one. If I stop doing it altogether, I know there will be many S2000 owners who would be very upset with me. :mw:

But after all, it *is* nice to meet with people IRL rather than only online... or at least that's what my shrink tells me.:panic:

·
Registered
46 Posts
This sounds awesome, I will try and make it!
My normal stomping grounds are right around there, but I haven't yet made it to Tuna canyon o_O I tend to just stick to my Topanga -> Old Topanga -> Mulholland -> Malibu Canyon loop.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For those who come out, I'm in a '07 S2000, school bus yellow, license plate: SIFO. And I'm one of the few women to come out to the drive, so I'm difficult to miss.

Official meet up time is 9:00am, but I plan to be there a little early.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts