The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been overly fond of this Sat-Nav (INA-W900) since I purchased the car. Besides being decidedly non-user friendly, it has never been able to find my home address nor differentiate between a multi-lane highway and a cowpath where I live.

Today, I was doing a bunch of errands in a small city where I fortunately know my general way around. After my first stop, I punched in the address of the second place I needed to go. Ms Sat-Nav (apparently blonde) found the address and told me to "follow the identified route," a less-than-helpful piece of advice as I pulled out into traffic.

I dutifully followed subsequent directions until I came to a T-intersection, unmentioned by Ms S-N, and had to turn left or right. Naturally, I selected the wrong direction and had to circle back.

After she regained her bearings, she gave me instructions to make a series of left-hand turns, sending me in a 2-mile circle and back to my original starting point. Thinking I had misunderstood, I repeated this route, only to discover that I had followed the Bimbo's directions perfectly (twice).

I then headed off in what I knew to be generally the right direction and the Bimbo regrouped. Apparently she was angry at my refusal to become mired in an endless circle for eternity, because she subsequently instructed me to make a right hand turn in the middle of a bridge over a large river.

She was promptly silenced and will only be allowed to speak again over my dead body.

Somebody, PLEASE put me out of my misery and recommend something better that I can put in this car. I can't take this anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I tend to like the garmen and tomtom line of products (tomtom slightly more). The new tomtom products can be connected to your computer to easilly get new roads added (including giving warning on current construction areas). My only gripe with any sat nav system is that nobody has included a STFU button, for when you want to intentionally deviate from the projected path. I would pay extra for a big red STFU button, which would silence the unit until you are back on the projected path.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I tend to like the garmen and tomtom line of products (tomtom slightly more). The new tomtom products can be connected to your computer to easilly get new roads added (including giving warning on current construction areas). My only gripe with any sat nav system is that nobody has included a STFU button, for when you want to intentionally deviate from the projected path. I would pay extra for a big red STFU button, which would silence the unit until you are back on the projected path.
I just about died laughing. I want a big red STFU button! Fabulous idea.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want that button too! Did I mention it was hot today and my A/C button doesn't work?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have the W900, I dont like the interface, switching from sources & lack of Nav detail. Its hard to drive without taking your eyes off the road. If you want a direct replacement that is Plug & Play with keeping the factory harness then go with Alpine. The unit below is brand new & its being released in late June. It will be a direct replacement. They have two versions one with an 8" screen & the other with 6.1" . Below is the 6.1 I like the knob so I can change the volume & keep my eyes on the road. + All new 3D Nav.
I have it on order
Alpine INE-S920HD Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com

Alpine INE-S920HD Navigation receiver

·
Registered
4 Posts
sat nav frozen?

I have had a problem with the Alpine sat nav on my 2011 evora s
It has been frozen at a previous destination for over a month.
I called the dealer and he said to unplug the car battery to reset but I think there has to be a way to fix it, however I am stumped
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have had a problem with the Alpine sat nav on my 2011 evora s
It has been frozen at a previous destination for over a month.
I called the dealer and he said to unplug the car battery to reset but I think there has to be a way to fix it, however I am stumped
Any thoughts?
W900? Right bottom coner you have a reset button: Use a paper clip..

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the W900, I dont like the interface, switching from sources & lack of Nav detail. Its hard to drive without taking your eyes off the road. If you want a direct replacement that is Plug & Play with keeping the factory harness then go with Alpine. The unit below is brand new & its being released in late June. It will be a direct replacement. They have two versions one with an 8" screen & the other with 6.1" . Below is the 6.1 I like the knob so I can change the volume & keep my eyes on the road. + All new 3D Nav.
I have it on order
Alpine INE-S920HD Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com

Alpine INE-S920HD Navigation receiver
THAT looks very promising. Will definitely check it out, thanks.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
There's a new generation of head units on the horizon with much better integration to our phones and other devices. All agree this Alpine is a dud but I'm holding out a bit.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have the INA-W910 in my non-lotus. Had it in the car for a few months now & for the most part very pleased with how it works. Sometimes I miss having a volume dial or actual preset buttons that I can feel for vs using a flat touch screen or what I do most of the time is use my remote.

There are a few local indy shops in town & none of them carry Alpine as their main brand. Kenwood or Pioneer is what they each push.... a shop closed a few months ago & they sold Clarion as their best brand..... most shops seem to trash what the other stores carry thus for me I would just go and play around with the different decks to see what I liked the most.

Alpine W910 is where my money went.....

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's a new generation of head units on the horizon with much better integration to our phones and other devices. All agree this Alpine is a dud but I'm holding out a bit.
The unit that fasttoys recommended is actually compatible with my Blackberry!

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Interface is not great, but tha amp and MOSFET chips are pretty good. I have always found Alpines to have a very smooth sound, too bad their interfaces haven't kept up. Clarion and Kenwodd are also quality units esp some of the newer kenwoods. Have a KDC 345 in my Elise and it is outstanding!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts