The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have advice for placing my satellite radio antenna? I have the dash completely apart anywhere in there is good. I might also consider putting under an access panel up front if someone thinks that is a good idea.

The obvious place seems to be the under the binacle. Perhaps this is good enough?

I figured I'd ask now while it is all apart.

Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anyone have advice for placing my satellite radio antenna? I have the dash completely apart anywhere in there is good. I might also consider putting under an access panel up front if someone thinks that is a good idea.

The obvious place seems to be the under the binacle. Perhaps this is good enough?

Thanks.
I think if you search for a similar thread, people have had luck with putting it on the edge of the dashboard near the windshield. However, I think reception might depend on which satellite service you went with. IIRC, XM satellite antennae are more forgiving than Sirius, and Sirius definitely works better when it is high and unobstructed by anything.

I'll be attempting to install a Sirius antenna next week when all my stereo equipment arrives (ordered it over the past few days from various places online). Hopefully I can document my install process for others.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
9,786 Posts

Thanks.
That's where (under the binnacle) the XM antenna is placed by the factory when you get the Alpine 9820XM head unit. The reception is quite good... better than the reception of the Sirius system on my Audi (with the antenna in a "dorsal fin" fixture on the roof). They are different systems though...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm worried that if I go through the hassle to do this, I'll wind up taking the dash out again later on to replace it.

I think what I'll do is to put it under the binnacle for now and leave enough wire with it to move it onto the front of the dash later on, if it seems appropriate.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get 2 bars under the binnacle. I drove about 3 miles from home and it was consistently on, so I guess this is good enough.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For anyone who cares, putting the pieces into the car was very easy. I don't even feel the need to post pics.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I put my XM antenna under the passenger side access panel and it works great, since its out in the open.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts