·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[Austin] Saturday, June 13: Hill Country Drive to Drive-In Movie Theater

RBTSOYP* - Summer 2009 Tour
to Drive-In Movie Theater to Watch
Up and Night at the Museum: The Battle of the Smithsonian

I just confirmed these two movies with the theater owner today which is why I couldn't announce it sooner.

This is a great opportunity to get out of Austin this weekend during the Republic of Texas Rally which involves nearly 100,000 Harleys invading Austin!

Date: Saturday, June 13, 2009

Meeting Location: In Austin. Please RSVP to rbtexasstampede at yahoo dot com if you are coming so that the Tourmaster can have a set of maps ready for you and tell you the meeting location.

Length: 160 miles of some of the best hill country roads in Texas.

Movies: Both Up (see brief review here) and Night at the Museum (see brief review here) have received great reviews and are family-friendly movies.

Program:
1:45 pm Gather at meeting location
_______Test radios and inspect tires
2:10 pm Drivers meeting
2:30 pm Start driving
_______There will be one break half-way along our route.
6:30 pm Arrive at drive-in movie theater in Gatesville to get front row spaces

At the movie theater we will enjoy an unhealthy dinner including greasy-but-delicious pizzas, hotdogs, nachos, popcorn, and assortment of drinks.

For those who want healthy food, we'll do a dinner run to nearby restaurants once we get to the drive-in and park our cars in front of the screen. Of course, you may also bring your own dinner if you like.

For more information about the drive-in movie theater experience and what to bring, click here.

RSVP: Please RSVP to rbtexasstampede at yahoo dot com to ensure a route map will be ready for you (please don't RSVP in this thread or forum.)

OTHER DETAILS

Cost: None

Leader: The Tourmaster will be leading most of the trip but participants should be ready to take turns leading the group at whatever pace they like. With 10 or more cars in the group over 160 miles, there will be several drivers who won’t need to lead.

Movies: Up and Night at the Museum. Click here to see website for movie theater and showtimes.

After the Movies: The first movie should end by 10 pm and the second movie should end by midnight. You may drive back to Austin (90 miles, maps will be provided) or stay overnight in Gatesville. There will probably be a few who head back after the first movie but since both movies are very good, many will probably head back after the second movie.

Safety: The general character of this drive is intended to be at a less-than-Stampede level.

Technical Inspection: Given the less-than-Stampede level of this drive, no technical inspection is required. However, a technical inspection is highly recommended. You never know what can break on your car at the worst time. Click here to download the technical inspection form used for the SPEED RACER 5000 RALLY.

Liability Waiver: Print, read, and sign it before the event day and then give it to the Tourmaster at the drivers meeting. Click here to download the waiver form for the SPEED RACER 5000 RALLY.

Driving Rules: All participating drivers are required to follow all Stampede rules, except those pertaining to technical inspections. Click here for a list of driving rules. Pay close attention to rules #19-29.

Radio: For your safety each car is required to have a Motorola-compatible radio. Radios will be tested before the drive starts.

Tires: For your safety minimum 4/32 inch of tread depth is required. Tires will be inspected before the drive starts. Cars which fail the inspection will not be allowed to participate.

Driver’s License & Proof of Automobile Liability Insurance: Please bring a photocopy of both of these documents to give to the Tourmaster before the drivers meeting.

All drivers and passengers: Who are eligible to drive (of driving age) must be at least 25 years old. Children 15 or younger are welcome and encouraged to come as passengers.

Click here for a more detailed description of the qualifications.

(*) RBTSOYP = Run by the seat of your pants

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay...I have chosen the meeting location (it took a little more time to find to avoid road construction in the area). Please RSVP to rbtexasstampede at yahoo dot com if you are coming so that I have a set of maps ready for you and tell you the meeting location. Please don't RSVP to this forum as I don't keep up with all of them. Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've got a nice small group made up of owners (and wives and daughter) of one Saturn Sky Redline, Nissan 240SX, 300ZX TT, BMW Z8, and Nissan GT-R going. I would like to think that at least one Elise owner in all of Austin would like to enjoy some spirited driving, beautiful scenery, fun camaraderie, tasty food, and two great movies on the big screen under the stars. Come join us for a great afternoon and evening.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...sounds fun - unfortunately i'm already booked solid this weekend, but i hope you have a respectable turnout...

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Gatesville, Texas?!

RBTSOYP* - Summer 2009 Tour
to Drive-In Movie Theater to Watch
Up and Night at the Museum: The Battle of the Smithsonian

I just confirmed these two movies with the theater owner today which is why I couldn't announce it sooner.

This is a great opportunity to get out of Austin this weekend during the Republic of Texas Rally which involves nearly 100,000 Harleys invading Austin!

Date: Saturday, June 13, 2009

Meeting Location: In Austin. Please RSVP to rbtexasstampede at yahoo dot com if you are coming so that the Tourmaster can have a set of maps ready for you and tell you the meeting location.

Length: 160 miles of some of the best hill country roads in Texas.

Movies: Both Up (see brief review here) and Night at the Museum (see brief review here) have received great reviews and are family-friendly movies.

Program:
1:45 pm Gather at meeting location
_______Test radios and inspect tires
2:10 pm Drivers meeting
2:30 pm Start driving
_______There will be one break half-way along our route.
6:30 pm Arrive at drive-in movie theater in Gatesville to get front row spaces

At the movie theater we will enjoy an unhealthy dinner including greasy-but-delicious pizzas, hotdogs, nachos, popcorn, and assortment of drinks.

For those who want healthy food, we'll do a dinner run to nearby restaurants once we get to the drive-in and park our cars in front of the screen. Of course, you may also bring your own dinner if you like.

For more information about the drive-in movie theater experience and what to bring, click here.

RSVP: Please RSVP to rbtexasstampede at yahoo dot com to ensure a route map will be ready for you (please don't RSVP in this thread or forum.)

OTHER DETAILS

Cost: None

Leader: The Tourmaster will be leading most of the trip but participants should be ready to take turns leading the group at whatever pace they like. With 10 or more cars in the group over 160 miles, there will be several drivers who won’t need to lead.

Movies: Up and Night at the Museum. Click here to see website for movie theater and showtimes.

After the Movies: The first movie should end by 10 pm and the second movie should end by midnight. You may drive back to Austin (90 miles, maps will be provided) or stay overnight in Gatesville. There will probably be a few who head back after the first movie but since both movies are very good, many will probably head back after the second movie.

Safety: The general character of this drive is intended to be at a less-than-Stampede level.

Technical Inspection: Given the less-than-Stampede level of this drive, no technical inspection is required. However, a technical inspection is highly recommended. You never know what can break on your car at the worst time. Click here to download the technical inspection form used for the SPEED RACER 5000 RALLY.

Liability Waiver: Print, read, and sign it before the event day and then give it to the Tourmaster at the drivers meeting. Click here to download the waiver form for the SPEED RACER 5000 RALLY.

Driving Rules: All participating drivers are required to follow all Stampede rules, except those pertaining to technical inspections. Click here for a list of driving rules. Pay close attention to rules #19-29.

Radio: For your safety each car is required to have a Motorola-compatible radio. Radios will be tested before the drive starts.

Tires: For your safety minimum 4/32 inch of tread depth is required. Tires will be inspected before the drive starts. Cars which fail the inspection will not be allowed to participate.

Driver’s License & Proof of Automobile Liability Insurance: Please bring a photocopy of both of these documents to give to the Tourmaster before the drivers meeting.

All drivers and passengers: Who are eligible to drive (of driving age) must be at least 25 years old. Children 15 or younger are welcome and encouraged to come as passengers.

Click here for a more detailed description of the qualifications.

(*) RBTSOYP = Run by the seat of your pants
Is this drive-in going to be at the Women's Prison there? :confused:

:shift:

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
You seem to be pretty familiar with prison locations... Must be a reason.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
You're way out of your depth Fuzzlette!

You seem to be pretty familiar with prison locations... Must be a reason.
Best you add practicing your snappy rejoiners along with those driving skills that you so need work on. ;)

Used to hunt way out on the northen part of Coryell County while you were still suckling on a teat somewhere.

rotfl

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...sounds fun - unfortunately i'm already booked solid this weekend, but i hope you have a respectable turnout...
Sorry you couldn't come with us. We had a great time over 195 miles with a diverse group of cars and people: One modified Nissan 240SX, BMW Z8, two highly-modified 300ZX TTs, one Saturn Sky Redline, and one tuned white-colored missle with a steering wheel a.k.a. the Nissan GTR.

The owner of the GTR was kind and generous enough to let me drive it during the 35 mile extended run portion of our drive (everyone agreed to extend the run since we were 40 minutes ahead of schedule:D). Simply put, it's an amazing car. He promised me a drive in his friend's F430 at our next drive.

Memorable quote from one driver: "So the extended run will take five minutes. What are we going to do in the remaining 35 minutes?"

No traffic other than one truck and camper on 1431, and not one Harley in our lane! All the cars held up nicely to the heat.

Despite the extended run, we were still the first guests at the drive-in so we got the best spaces as usual. The small group allowed everyone to spend quality time with each other -- and get to know newcomers John, Jordan, and Jamal -- as we visited before the movie.

Up was very good; I recommend it if you are a fan of Pixar movies. I think it is delightful to watch for adults as well as children. The movie opens with an unexpectedly touching story which lays the foundation for the remainder of the film.

As we were smoking cigars before the movie, I commented that I bet no one would expect to see a GTR in Gatesville. A few minutes later, one local guy comes up to us and says, "I don't think I would ever have expected to see a GTR in Gatesville!" That car attracts attention wherever it goes like it's some kind of celebrity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts