The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
A few more pic of the car:

Elise Pics

One other comment, the dealer was saying that Lotus USA expects the car to come in around 1900lbs, that's about 220 lbs over the Euro spec, will keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
HI Larry,
It's a shame to have to put a license plate where the ELISE is on the rear.

Are you sure of the euro spec weights. I think the S2 Elise weighs in at around 1750. I'll check my books at home.
Chris

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
On the Lotus USA website along with the press release, they have the spec for a Euro 111s. Dry weight is 1665 lbs, full tank of gas, 1773 lbs. When I put a deposit down the dealer was expecting to add 150lbs for the Fed version. So yeah for marketing there's a fudge factor (dry) we've got to watch out for.

It will be intresting to see how they set the rear up for the plates, on the fronts the dealer seem to be willing to leave it unmounted.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Hmm... don't the cars in UK now require a similar (if longer) rear license plate? Would it not overlap the Elise lettering as shown on that car?

If you put a US spec license plate, it will look like E|plate|E

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
HI Randy,
The ELISE plate is just on for display. I don't think it's actually on the roadgoing cars, although the ELISE plate is fully removeable.
Chris
Too bad though, I think it looks nice.

P.S. Robert, I thought of that. :) But most people would think my name was Lis.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I drove it! :-D Wow, what fun. We combined a little city driving with a few miles of freeway for a great test drive experience. I must say, I was surprised at how comfortable the ride was. Very smooth (for a car like that). The steering was perfect, reminding me of a go-kart. Engine was great once I got used to using the high rpms more. The brakes felt weird, I had never driven a car without power assisted brakes before...but I really liked my brief experience with that. My one complaint is what you've all heard before - the shifter sucked. No, really...it really really REALLY sucks. I've never driven a car with such a horrible, rubbery shifter (though granted, my car experience is limited). Half the time, I didn't know if I'd engaged the proper gear or not, so before releasing the clutch I'd take it back out of gear and put it back in to be sure. Had a hard time getting it into 5th confidently, too. Maybe that's just something you get used to over time. I guess the good news is that with the new powerplant (confirmed to be a 190hp Toyota), they'll have to redo most or all of that shift mechanism anyway so maybe they'll get it right this time. If not, I can predict what the most popular aftermarket modification will be...

The list of deposits at Boardwalk Lotus is up to the mid 20's. They ARE marking up the price beyond MSRP, though on the flipside, seem like good people to work with so maybe it's worth it for some.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Wow that's exciting for you ! Sounds pretty positive overall, and I wouldn't worry too much about the shifter, all indications are that the gearbox/transmission will be all-new (at least v.v. the Elise) for the U.S. version, and I've heard that we'll be very happy with the 'tranny !

I drove an earlier S2 at Symbolic Motors down south of you, and I didn't find the shifter to be rubbery at all, really. Strange. How did you like having the "knob" up high, near the wheel ? I actually liked it more than I'd expected, because (at least in the version that I drove) the throw was fairly short, not nearly as long as I thought it might be.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Pics?

:)

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Larry - have fun!

Mike - that's weird about the shifter. Maybe there's some problem with the one I drove? I didn't really mind the shifter being so tall, though I found that your passenger needs to make a conscious effort to keep his/her knees clear of it or they'll get in the way.

Randy - no new pics, I forgot to bring my camera. Probably better this way though, as I bet I had a really silly grin on my face after driving it and that's not something I want captured on film. ;)

One more thing - I was told that MSRP is probably going to be about $40,900.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
That was my experience with the shifter also. Maybe it also depends on what you are used to? In any case, since the tranny is new on the USA car, it's a non-issue.

I am a little concerned about price creep. Is that their understanding of the price for the base model? Or did it include some extra garnish for the dealer or did they specifically say that was going to be the MSRP? Maybe it included hard top?

Or maybe I need to sell some more camera systems before next year. :)

Okay Larry, bring your camera!

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Randy Chase said:
I am a little concerned about price creep. Is that their understanding of the price for the base model? Or did it include some extra garnish for the dealer or did they specifically say that was going to be the MSRP? Maybe it included hard top?
That was the dealer's understanding of the base price MSRP, not including hardtop or markup. I too am concerned about price creep. The dealer felt like the car would easily sell at $50k+, and he may be right - but that keeping it under $40k exposes them to a much wider demographic (and hence, more sales).

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Was over at the dealer, the owner got wind of the test drives & put a stop to it- Matt you lucky... so & so. Guess Lotus hadn't authorized it, no insurance etc. My impression w/o driving it, shifter was a bit rubbery throws / engagement was fine- non issue for us. Gas pedal was tight next to the brake pedal, will take a bit of adjusting to. Entry was ok w/o the top with it, will be a bit of work with. No need for a dead pedal, with the high chassis, looks like we can brace the whole leg. Guess I’ll have to wait until our dealer gets one to drive. It did allow me to take a few more pics: More Elise Pics

21 - 39 of 39 Posts