The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Smart car is now being delivered in LA. When I saw my first one last August in London, it looked small. Today, from the seat of the Elise, it looked big! Must be taller than it is long. Don't think I'll be trading in the Lotus.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Yeah I saw one a couple of weeks ago here in Houston....think it was the Cabriolet version (or whatever its called).

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I'm NOT going to trade MY Elise for THREE Smart Cars!
(Where I could hook them up like a train with the optional coupler system, and we'll travel in style with six people!)

I saw one (a convertible Smart Car) at the rock store outlook a few weeks ago while I was cruising the canyons in the Elise. It looks like a fun car. But it doesn't have the fuel economy we think it should have. I think it's about 40mpg. So what?

Terry liked it, though. I asked if she would trade her McLaren Mercedes for the Smart Car and she said "NO!":shrug:

--Hal

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
We drove one last summer from Chicago to New Hampshire and back - the Euro version. It had the worst auto trans I've ever experienced. Felt like an old lady was under the hood manually shifting - first to second gear happened around 5 mph (seriously) and HUGE pauses between every gear. Also, it was like a kite on the freeway... watch out for crosswinds! Gas mileage was only slightly higher than my old Elise, and worse than my old Honda Civic, at between 31 and 37. Surprisingly roomy inside tho.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
It's actually a computer controlled manual. I'd equate it to BMW's SMG version .05beta. :rolleyes: I agree, it sucked ass. Also, I saw that the mileage wasn't that great either and for $15k?!?!?! I'd rather spend $4k more and get a base Mini.

We drove one last summer from Chicago to New Hampshire and back - the Euro version. It had the worst auto trans I've ever experienced. Felt like an old lady was under the hood manually shifting - first to second gear happened around 5 mph (seriously) and HUGE pauses between every gear. Also, it was like a kite on the freeway... watch out for crosswinds! Gas mileage was only slightly higher than my old Elise, and worse than my old Honda Civic, at between 31 and 37. Surprisingly roomy inside tho.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I would consider it IF they would bring a nice turbo diesel stick to the US otherwise I will wait and get an old one for pennies and have a Hyabusa engine tossed in. Like in the Hyabusa powered Smart videos on youtube.
Sequential manual and loads of fun..
Here is a picture of the engine in a subframe ready to install. Let's do it!!!:up:

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Smart?

They have been in Japan for a while now. One of my Japanese friends that does not speak very good English asked in all honesty "why it is called a Smart car?"

To this day I still cannot come up with a good answer.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
It's actually a computer controlled manual. I'd equate it to BMW's SMG version .05beta. :rolleyes: I agree, it sucked ass. Also, I saw that the mileage wasn't that great either and for $15k?!?!?! I'd rather spend $4k more and get a base Mini.
I have a deposit on one, and I'm getting it back. I thought it would be cool for my kids to commute to school in (about 4 mi on back roads) and they wer crazy for it. We went to the local dealer a couple of weeks ago and drove their demo, and both kids (who can drive a manual) hated it. We have a base '06 Mini and they'll be driving that instead.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Saw a bunch in Italy. They're allowed to park perpendicular to the curb. I wonder if they'll allow that eventually here. One problem, you can block someone in real easy that way.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I've been seeing them around here for over a year. There was a small dealer selling them a couple of miles from my home. That dealer closed shop last month after the official import dealer opened in Chandler, AZ about 15 miles away.

About a year ago I saw an auto transport loaded with about 15. I have no idea where it was headed.

I've also seen a Smart Roadster several times not far from my home... very rare car in the US.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
driving home from some where and on the parkway i came upon a smart. i got out my phone and took a pic. the lady looked quite shocked, not sure if it was the idea that my elise was just as small, or that some one was taking a pic of her at all....not to long after that met up with a silver 360.... nice drive home..

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I have a deposit on one, and I'm getting it back. I thought it would be cool for my kids to commute to school in (about 4 mi on back roads) and they wer crazy for it. We went to the local dealer a couple of weeks ago and drove their demo, and both kids (who can drive a manual) hated it. We have a base '06 Mini and they'll be driving that instead.

As usual, when the car comes to the states they muck it up. This time they went from a tunable Benz turbocharged 3 cyl to a Mitsubishi N/A car. I was planning to get one until. 1. I saw the new styling(could have lived with it). And 2. They jacked us on the engine to save a few $$(can't live with that).
I really think they should bring a TDI with a manual trans. I will buy one for a commute car if they do that. I would estimate 70+ mpg highway.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I've been seeing them around here for over a year. There was a small dealer selling them a couple of miles from my home. That dealer closed shop last month after the official import dealer opened in Chandler, AZ about 15 miles away.

About a year ago I saw an auto transport loaded with about 15. I have no idea where it was headed.

I've also seen a Smart Roadster several times not far from my home... very rare car in the US.

I have been looking at the federalized cars for the last couple of years. They were WAY overpriced @$23K +- . Now that they are available through a dealer network they are about 1/2 that.. I wonder what will happen to values of the older federalized cars that sold for $23K+:eek:

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
52.5 MPG!

I have posted about my 2006 Jetta TDI DSG(current commute car) before. The new news is that even though I get 38-42MPG on my city/highway commute:up: I was able to achieve 52.5MPG! on a trip from Berkeley to Carmel and back last weekend:clap:..
That was only bested by my old TDI Beetle stick on a trip when I achieved 56MPG.. The Jetta is a much larger and more comfortable car though.
Next commute car will likley be a TDI Jetta Wagon, an A4 TDI Avant, or a BMW 335TDI Touring. I'll likley go for the Audi if they do bring the 2.0L engine.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts