The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to a friends place, I was getting off the freeway and noticed a silver celica in my rear view that looked familiar. In a town of 4M+ people, you can imagine there are a lot of silver celicas, but this was definetly mine (front body work is very distinct).

So I waved her down, and chatted with the new owner for a bit. She's had it since March now. She says she's really happy with the car (thank God). But I already noticed new chips on the bumpers, and she was filthy. I almost couldnt bare to see the car. I miss her.

Anyone else ever seen their old cars randomly on the road? It was hard enough to part with my first car, I certainly dont want to be constantly reminded!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Aren't there laws against stalking in California? ;) Don't worry. In a few weeks the Celica will be a distant, but fond, memory.

Look back to see where you've been, but focus on the road ahead.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
My first car several years after I'd sold it came across it. Was parked downtown of the place I was living in. Pretty beat up, being 13-14 years old not too surprising. Was happy to see it was still on the road, missed it only in the sense of fondly looking at the past (it was a old style muscle car) and my first car.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
One of my fondest cars was a 1970 Ford Mustang Mach1 (Grabber Blue, 351 Cleveland 4-barrel carb.) I sold that car in the early 1980's for $2,500! :eek: I had to sell it. The "PC" excuse was because I needed money for college. The real reason was because my (then) girlfriend hated the car. She claimed I spend more time with that car than I did with her. So either the Mach 1 went, or she did. I guess I chose... badly. :(

I sold the car to a guy living in Marina Del Rey. But I was living in Hollywood at the time. A few weeks later, I see MY car (I could recognize it anywhere) at a transmission shop. The driver's door was dented in and the roof had buckled a bit. The transmission shop owner said the guy who brought it in lost control and slid it into a tree. The transmission was screwed when he jumped the curb and something impacted the transmission and broke the case. :eek: :(

I mad me sick to see my poor car that way. But I had to walk away. 20 years later, I'm driving a 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1... mainly because I missed my old Mach 1.

The moral, MW... it's OK to miss things in your past, but there's always new (and probably better) adventures and things ahead of you! :)

Bob

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Oh, I just remembered. Back in '98, I had put a motorcycle on consignment with a dealer in Azusa, California. This bike (ZX7R) was in perfect condition for the two years I had it. The 19 year old kid who bought it from the dealer had never driven a motorcycle, had his girlfriend buy it for him on her credit card, and the dealer charged his the equivalent of a new bike.

Anyways, he comes to my apartment to pick up a free helmet, and I see a huge scratch along the side of the bike and bruises on his arm. Turns out, that as he left the dealership, he crashed into a median that divides the street (equivalent of a side walk) and dropped the bike.

Two years, and 12,000 flawless miles, and the new owner crashing it .001 miles! I imagine the bike is in several pieces by now. :(

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
You know what Randy, a similar scene will be played out when some customers take delivery of their Elise. Despite all the disucssion of more horse power different shocks, rear sway bars etc. the Elise is going to be way too much in stock form for a few.
A good friend of mine gradutaed a year ahead of me in college and bought a Lotus Europa first thing, he had it for about an hour before he totaled it.
So if you are not used to mid engined very high performance cars, TAKE IT EASY when you drive away from the dealership!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ace3 said:
MW: nice car! ;)

Glad to see another celi on the track. I've been to nearly 2 dozen track events since 2000, 3 where I ran my car, and I only ever saw 2 other celicas on track. 1 was a test car for Eibach. The other was a friend with a GT-S who I convinced to join me one day.

People rice them more than race them it seems:rolleyes:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
James A said:
You know what Randy, a similar scene will be played out when some customers take delivery of their Elise. Despite all the disucssion of more horse power different shocks, rear sway bars etc. the Elise is going to be way too much in stock form for a few.
A good friend of mine gradutaed a year ahead of me in college and bought a Lotus Europa first thing, he had it for about an hour before he totaled it.
So if you are not used to mid engined very high performance cars, TAKE IT EASY when you drive away from the dealership!
Preach on. I have spent way too long now with midengined cars to not know that. Way too many stories. And sadly a number of cars....and a few people that are no longer with us. That is why I promote autox for people to learn and wrote that long ass article about midengined cars.

MW, the problem with the Celeeeeka is that it is FWD. A fatal flaw. :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Two years, and 12,000 flawless miles, and the new owner crashing it .001 miles! I imagine the bike is in several pieces by now.
Ha! I know that motorcycle dealership! It's Berts! I bought my CBR 600 F2 from them (way back when.)

At that VERY same dealership (at the old location), I saw some guy dump a brand new sportsbike. He took delivery and I distinctly heard his salesperson say, "Take it easy for the first 200 miles and scuff in the tires slowly. They're pretty slick when new.) Sure enough, the new owner guns it, gets about 100 feet down the street and dumps the motorcycle! :rolleyes: Everybody is shaking their heads when this happened.

What does the new buyer do? He brings the bike back and begins to demand that he wants a NEW, unscratched motorcycle! :eek: Obviously he didn't get a replacement bike.

It's my firm belief that people like that become organ donors. :rolleyes:

Bob

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
ace3 said:
MW: nice car! ;)

Glad to see another celi on the track. I've been to nearly 2 dozen track events since 2000, 3 where I ran my car, and I only ever saw 2 other celicas on track. 1 was a test car for Eibach. The other was a friend with a GT-S who I convinced to join me one day.

People rice them more than race them it seems:rolleyes:
I'm an instructor at our local roadcourse, and have never seen another Celica out there. I ran some pretty good times with mine, some even faster than some pretty impressive cars. ;)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Preach on. I have spent way too long now with midengined cars to not know that.
Randy, I don't think James A was addressing that last bit to you personally.

I took the "So if you are not used to mid engined very high performance cars..." to mean 'you' collectively.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
rtking said:
Ha! I know that motorcycle dealership! It's Berts!...It's my firm belief that people like that become organ donors. :rolleyes:
Bob
You're right!:clap: It was Bert's motorcycle-den-of- thieves mall. ;)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Need4Speed said:
Randy, I don't think James A was addressing that last bit to you personally.

I took the "So if you are not used to mid engined very high performance cars..." to mean 'you' collectively.
I think you misinterpreted my post. I was only agreeing with him.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts