The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw the 05 C6,

looks a little awkard, very Gm board room decision front, no over all design theme, but what they have is ok, overall look is better and more sportscar looking, they can't execute a look and feel like the Lotus or Ferrari, they def are going after the 911 buyer, even the sales guy says that is the mark,

looked under the car, suspension looked good, inside way too much electronic junk, you have to delete all that stuff to make it a sportscar, wheels where cool, they mark the thing up to msrp of 52k with bs options plus 5 to 8 k on top of that.

Does not bring on the got to have it feeling of the Elise, but by far the nicest vette, of the modern era, and 400/400/hp/lbs is cool, the z51 suspension option is upgraded.

If Lotus can not get cars to us in the next few months/years the vette is an option, but the image is just not there for me.

We want our cars?

·
Registered
92 Posts
All dealers in New York are charging MSRP with no mark-up for an ordered C6. Mine is optioned nicely including Z51 with an MSRP of $46,820 (Sunset Orange, Sport Seats, Z51, Manual Tranny). I don't need Navigation, Heated Seats, etc.

Not bad for a car that is priced $25K lower than a base 997 and $35k less than the 997S and will out perform the 911 in every category.

My plan is to keep the C6 until either the next generation Elise comes out or the Exige is brought to the U.S.

I agree with you that the C6 is the nicest Vette yet and I have had two C5's including a Z06.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
mlfast said:
Saw the 05 C6,

looks a little awkard, very Gm board room decision front, no over all design theme, but what they have is ok, overall look is better and more sportscar looking, they can't execute a look and feel like the Lotus or Ferrari, they def are going after the 911 buyer, even the sales guy says that is the mark,

looked under the car, suspension looked good, inside way too much electronic junk, you have to delete all that stuff to make it a sportscar, wheels where cool, they mark the thing up to msrp of 52k with bs options plus 5 to 8 k on top of that.

Does not bring on the got to have it feeling of the Elise, but by far the nicest vette, of the modern era, and 400/400/hp/lbs is cool, the z51 suspension option is upgraded.

If Lotus can not get cars to us in the next few months/years the vette is an option, but the image is just not there for me.

We want our cars?
My thoughts exactly. I looked at a couple of C6 Vettes this weekend also. A little smaller and a lot more taut than the C5. It still looks big, but it is almost the exact same footprint as the 911, which doesn't look big to me. :confused:

The base price is $43K and change. With the Z51 option it would be around $45K. The rest of the options are unnecessary on a sports car. The Elise comparably equipped...up to the point you can (Touring & hardtop)...would also cost me $45K ($2,500 dealer markup...Newport European).

I view the C6 as a clear backup alternative for me.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Re: Re: Saw the C6 Today, Not as exciting as the Elise, but not bad.

ChrisB said:
My thoughts exactly. I looked at a couple of C6 Vettes this weekend also. A little smaller and a lot more taut than the C5. It still looks big, but it is almost the exact same footprint as the 911, which doesn't look big to me. :confused:

The base price is $43K and change. With the Z51 option it would be around $45K. The rest of the options are unnecessary on a sports car. The Elise comparably equipped...up to the point you can (Touring & hardtop)...would also cost me $45K ($2,500 dealer markup...Newport European).

I view the C6 as a clear backup alternative for me.
Exactly. With the latest price increase and with the options I want, the Elise will be exactly the same price as a new C6 configured the same way Z0650TH has done. I'm definitely thinking about it. Not thrilled about the front or the interior, but hey it hauls ass.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have gone back and forth about the following choices.

Elise with touring/lss/hardtop. True midengine, exclusive, handles like crazy, high revving engine. Very small car (almost scary around semis, and lifted f350s--quite common in Utah).

C6 with Z51 and no other options. Not a true midengine (don't start the behind the axle arguement), powerful like crazy, good for long distance comfort. Too common in some places.

1997+ NSX-T. High reliability, another true midengine, very rare, great handling, high revving, also has long distance comfort. Dated look, and not as fast as the Vette.

All of these are about the same price range.

·
Registered
95 Posts
c6 vette

Like other posters here, I have also looked at the new C6 and consider it a very viable option. The C6 with the Z51 option is priced almost identical to the Elise I ordered. Although it has a V8, gas mileage is also similar at 28 MPG highway. Serviceability will definitely be less cumbersome and expensive + intial quality appears to be higher as well. The longer I wait for the Elise, the more I am beginning to talk myself out of this car. As Lotus management predicted, it truely is a niche car.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I really like the C6 too and it is tempting to go that route, but GM will make 30k or more per year, will be building it for many years, etc.

Worse case is to sell the Elise if you want something bigger and buy a C6 in a few years.

Part of my fascination with the Elise is how damn rare it'll be in the US.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Not impressed by the design, if you can call it that, of the front half of the car. Not impressed by the estimated weight of 3245 pounds - as stated by many, extra horsepower does not compensate for extra weight when it comes to handling. Not impressed by estimated combined mileage of 22.6 mpg.

Not impressed. Not in the same class as the Elise.

·
Registered
94 Posts
C6 Availability

Does anyone know when the C6 will be available?
Available is defined as I walk into the showroom and I am able to either drive one home or order one and get it in a resonable amount of time.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
758 Posts
Dealers on the Corvette Forum are reporting 4 weeks out and many are selling at MSRP. In 6 months you might be able to get a little under that. It was 2 years before the C5 sold for less than MSRP though...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Z3Convert: You can order a C6 now and you can configure the exact car you want at Corvette.com to see the options, price, etc. As for driving one home, the dealer I went to had a couple coming in that were stock orders but they wanted $3k over sticker for them. Ordered cars were strictly at MSRP and the wait is not bad.

Approx. wait time on an ordered car is about 10 weeks but this number will vary depending on the dealer allocation of Vettes.

jml1952: Actually the C6 weighs less than 3200 and less than the C5 even though the engine has more displacement. As for gas mileage, an estimated combined MPG of 22.6 is quite good for a V8 Sportscar that will beat out almost every car on the road IMO. The Viper for instance gets about 10 MPG and is only marginally faster than a C6 with the Z51.

P.S. I saw a Sunset Orange C6 this past weekend being delivered to a customer. He was all smiles and the color was very nice in person.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The c6 is the first vette in years i would consider.

I think chevy did a great job on the car.

i like the idea that the elise isn't as widely available.

oops i meant available at all :D

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I walked around and sat in a c6 the other day. I had just seen the Top Gear edition where they tested and rated the c6. They pointed out that the plastics inside were really cheap (still) and the back bumper has several inches of movement. (push around the brake lights) When I first saw the c6 I thought it was a great evolution but after walking around one it really is a flat looking car, with lack of character. I'm sure its fast but its gm build doesn't make me want one.
IMO

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Apples & Oranges again. Not to dis the C6, it's just the appeal of it is different for people. It's getting closer to what I would like - basicly an American Ferrari. GM's just too much of a weakling to do what they need to do. The Caddy versions are getting better too as a BMW killer but again, they cater too much to the oldest generation. CTS-V seems nice but, well, it's a Caddy & I don't wear Depends yet.

The new Z06 would be a hoot to drive but I still think it's just not what I want. Too much GT and not enough Sports.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I checked one out this morning on my way into work...

basically i think the C6 is a great car, all around great performance, the styling is a lot better than the C5...but thats not really saying much! the interior looked fine. anyways. its a great car, the best bang for the buck in a street car.

here's why i won't get one though... 10 years from now would you rather have what in todays language is a C4 vette or an S4 esprit?? I have driven a few of both, and a 10 year old vette is a scary thing to drive fast, what a bucket. but an esprit, or a 911... 10 even 20 years old, still impress.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
oh, i ment to add...

but make no mistake about it - in real world driving, on the street - the C6 will spank an Elise and call it bitch.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
As a Porsche sales guy I was in LA a few weeks ago testing the new 997 against its "competitors". Porsche obviously "forgot" to bring the Vette for a comparison. Funny that a car that costs 1/2 as much and is a worthy competitor is absent from the test???
The sales guys that are car guys were pretty pissed..
Let me tell you the Caddy alternative is a piece of crap! Plastic body that flexes, junky interior, electronic door releases(what's up with that?)

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,638 Posts
fitfan said:
oh, i ment to add...

but make no mistake about it - in real world driving, on the street - the C6 will spank an Elise and call it bitch.
Not if that street is Deal's Gap. :D

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I second that. I've pulled a few C5's with an Audi TT at the Tail. (yes they were really trying)
Mick, when do you get urs?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts