The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I came across this thread on zposts (a sub branch of bimmerfests forum dedicated to Z4 owners) and found a little funny. I wonder who the Elise owner is:

Drove an Elise Yesterday...Man I love my Z4MC!
Met a guy yesterday with an Lotus Elise and we swapped for a test drive.

As we all know the Elise is a go-cart. It's quick and handles great, but primitive and more purist than I would like for a non-track car. Forget about a daily driver! Funny, I spent more time looking at my car in the mirror than anything else.

The whole thing would rattle and jar at most little bumps. The center console (if that's what you want to call it) was loose and the whole package had a kit-car feeling to it. It's a very long way from the sophisticated 07 BMW.

The guy really liked the Z4MC and asked how much I paid for it. When he found out I paid less than he did for the Lotus, he made a quirky grimace. I think that was painful news. I felt that he was growing tiered of the Lotus and all it's quirks and longed for something quick but more refined. I think he'll be moving on to something better soon.

Always nice to try something a bit different to reaffirm that the grass is not always green on the other side. The Z4MC is not perfect, but man I love my car!

BigLeo

Drove an Elise Yesterday...Man I love my Z4MC! - ZPOST

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Not surprising at all. Most people won't like an Elise, except maybe to look at. There's a reason most cars have gooshy suspensions and are packed with weird gizmos.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Darn it - I knew I shoudl purchased a z4 instead! :wallbang:

Anyone wanna buy an expensive, creaky, ugly, go-kart?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The guy really liked the Z4MC and asked how much I paid for it. When he found out I paid less than he did for the Lotus, he made a quirky grimace. I think that was painful news. I felt that he was growing tiered of the Lotus and all it's quirks and longed for something quick but more refined. I think he'll be moving on to something better soon.
Funny how much people project and assume. Would be interesting to hear the other side.

"So yeah, I felt the car was way too heavy and missed the razor like handling of the Elise. There was so much "comfort" crap in the car, it would make a good highway cruiser.... but then I would still rather be in the Elise. I asked the guy how much the car costs, thinking it felt like a $25k car. I grimaced when he told me that it was almost as much as the Elise. Holy crap, no way would I pay that for this car. I tried to hide it, no sense in making the guy feel bad about his choice. But I was glad to be back in the Lotus."

Note, this does not mean I feel one car is better than the other (different horses, etc). I am just trying to point out how one person can read a lot into what the other person is thinking.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
His thoughts are spot on. If you want a tight, comfy car, get the BMW. If you want a true sports car, get the Elise.

I love the feel, you love the feel. It ain't for everybody.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Funny how much people project and assume. Would be interesting to hear the other side.

"So yeah, I felt the car was way too heavy and missed the razor like handling of the Elise. There was so much "comfort" crap in the car, it would make a good highway cruiser.... but then I would still rather be in the Elise. I asked the guy how much the car costs, thinking it felt like a $25k car. I grimaced when he told me that it was almost as much as the Elise. Holy crap, no way would I pay that for this car. I tried to hide it, no sense in making the guy feel bad about his choice. But I was glad to be back in the Lotus."
rotfl perfect!!!

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Well sounds like he has the right "sophisticated" car for him. Glad he likes it and couldn't take is eyes off. Different strokes for different folks. I'm glad the Lotus does not appeal to the masses in the same way a z4 or Boxster does. I like owning and driving a unique car that every third hair dresser in town doesn't have. There are lots of other very nice sporty cars out there. Cushy and luxurious I'm sure is nice. I think the rawness of the Lotus is more of an appeal than a turn off. Then again I'd take a rat rod I could flog all over town over a trailer queen I'd be afraid to drive too.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Well sounds like he has the right "sophisticated" car for him. Glad he likes it and couldn't take is eyes off. Different strokes for different folks. I'm glad the Lotus does not appeal to the masses in the same way a z4 or Boxster does. I like owning and driving a unique car that every third hair dresser in town doesn't have.
LOL, that is funny, maybe you should post this one on the BMW forum... LOL

I find this statement funny
"I spent more time looking at my car in the mirror than anything else."

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hmmm. Since we own both an Elise and an M Coupe (Z3), I don't see the downside to either car. The Elise is better handling, has better steering feel, better looking, and, for me, better ergonomically. The M is more powerful with a better power band, is easier to correct mid-corner, is more durable, and has more storage. I'm sorry if anyone needs to rationalize that one is better overall than the other. They're just different.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I loved my S52 M Coupe hardtop. If it wasn't totalled I'd still own it to this day. It was much more of a "drivers" car than the Z4MCs were. Given the opportunity, I'd own both the Z3MC and the Elise.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

rotfl

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've got both an Exige S 240 and an 06 Z4M Coupe, and I much prefer to drive the Exige. I thought the M felt like a mean lean handling track machine, until I drove the Exige. Now, it feels like a Cadillac. I softened the ride on the Exige to 3 in the front and 2 in the back. That pretty much solved the jarring feeling on these crappy Bay Area roads. True, the Exige feels less refined, but I was I even looking for a luxury car when I bougt The M Coupe? Of course not.

I actually considered buying a Lotus back when I bought the BMW, and I found ways to justify why I went with the Z4M instead of an Elise/Exige. A year and a half later, here I am with a Lotus. I guess that tells you something. Sounds like that Z4M owner is just trying to make himself feel better :) Don't get me wrong, the Z4M is a great car, but I'll take my Exige S 240 in a heartbeat.

As far as the price, I would figure that most people would think an Elise costs more than a Z4M Coupe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmmm. Since we own both an Elise and an M Coupe (Z3), I don't see the downside to either car. The Elise is better handling, has better steering feel, better looking, and, for me, better ergonomically. The M is more powerful with a better power band, is easier to correct mid-corner, is more durable, and has more storage. I'm sorry if anyone needs to rationalize that one is better overall than the other. They're just different.
+1 (good post!)

·
Registered
807 Posts
The whole thing would rattle and jar at most little bumps. The center console (if that's what you want to call it) was loose and the whole package had a kit-car feeling to it
must have been one of the rentals that were beat to crap in the Enterprise fleet.

the fact that he kept looking at his own BMW is very telling of the average BMW buyer. they like to be seen, as where we just like to drive.

i would totally buy a Z4 M Coupe if they weren't so damn ugly. it looks like a giant Croc slipper with tires.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Having moved from my Elise to a Z4 M Coupe, I can say that the M Coupe is more impressive than I thought it would be, but as soon as it is paid for I plan to buy another Lotus ;) Driving a Lotus really does spoil every other car out there........

I love the M but miss my Lotus.....

·
Registered
544 Posts
the fact that he kept looking at his own BMW is very telling of the average BMW buyer. they like to be seen, as where we just like to drive.
Maybe, but I don't think there are many cars in the Elise/Exige price range that get as many looks as they do, not even a Z4. Although I personally like the looks of the Z4.

However I will agree, when I sit in my Elise to drive I'm not thinking about much else and honestly I think the Elise is quite comfortable and has plenty of leg room.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The Z4 is a great compromise between a real sports car like the Elise and a good, comfortable daily driver like err... a Buick. My wife drives one, and it's great for cruising down the highway in relative comfort or driving a mountain road relatively quickly. Even my wife misses the balance and handling of the Boxster she drove before the BMW. With the Z4, there is a lot of mass in front of you and it is impossible to see where the front of the thing ends from the drivers seat. I can't imagine trying to autocross one. You'd be hitting cones you hardly knew were there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yawn.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Could just as well be:

Drove a Z4 Yesterday...Man I love my Cadillac!
Met a guy yesterday with a BMW Z4 and we swapped for a test drive.

As we all know the Z4 is a go-cart. It's quick and handles great, but primitive and more purist than I would like for a non-track car. Forget about a daily driver! Funny, I spent more time looking at my car in the mirror than anything else.

The whole thing would rattle and jar at most little bumps. The center console (if that's what you want to call it) was loose and the whole package had a kit-car feeling to it. It's a very long way from the sophisticated 07 Cadillac.

The guy really liked the Cadillac and asked how much I paid for it. When he found out I paid less than he did for the BMW, he made a quirky grimace. I think that was painful news. I felt that he was growing tiered of the BMW Z4 and all it's quirks and longed for something quick but more refined. I think he'll be moving on to something better soon.

Always nice to try something a bit different to reaffirm that the grass is not always green on the other side. The Cadillac is not perfect, but man I love my car!

BigBubba

1 - 20 of 24 Posts