The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new here...and seriously lusting for an Esprit! I've done tons of homework and endless hours of reading...now I just need to get to where I can actually afford the thing (I am currently a 'casualty of the recession').

My dream is a later G-car, preferably an HCI...the 'purity' of the earlier cars is nice, but a lot of real-world/living-with-it-type of stuff makes me lean toward the S3/Turbo cars. But no matter how you slice it, I've wanted an Esprit since about 1980.

I found out about this forum this morning from talking to some guys at a local cruise-in. I was there to see an '87 Turbo up close. I'd seen it for sale on eBay then heard that a local guy bought it...traded a few emails with him and he was very gracious about meeting me and allowing me to check out his car from every angle and to sit in it.

I mention sitting in it for a very important reason. Back in 1987 when I was 19, I sat in a brand-new Turbo in a dealer's showroom. I remember fitting rather comfortably, despite my great height. I am 6'4", although at that time I only weighed about 170. Today I weigh about 245 and have gained about 8-10" of waist-size.

Here's what it looked like today when I sat in my new friend's car:

It was, in a word, TIGHT- my head was in firm contact with the ceiling, and my legs were in firm contact with the steering wheel. Despite this, I remain undeterred as I have read a few web-pages about the modifications possible to accomodate tall drivers. I have even seen one article about a 6'7" fellow in Britain who, while he does need to open the sunroof, still makes it work. I also wonder if due to being a small-production, hand-built car, there might be some variance from one car to the next. In any case, I am very good with tools and have spent my life tinkering with foreign vehicles so I have full confidence that I can handle both the 'tall-guy mods' and the regular maintenance and upkeep of such a car.

Just for kicks, here's another picture of the car I saw today :D

So my plan, once I'm financially healthy again, is to make a major goal of Esprit-ownership. I'll be lurking and reading here, and probably will ask a few questions here and there, always driven to learn more about the object of my lust. Wish me luck, and I'll let you know when I get my Esprit.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
:wave: good luck on your quest!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...welcome aboard!..a lotus makes great motivation for a weight-loss plan... ;)

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

There are several Esprit owners here and I have seen a few come up for sale now and then. Watch the "Lotus cars for sale" section here Lotus Cars for Sale - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community. You can also find some esprit owners at Welcome to The Lotus Forums (which also has a for sale section).

If there are any cars you find that are out of town for you post about them here and I'm sure someone close to the car would be willing to go take a look at it for you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well hey Ben! Your first new post in the forum beat mine by seven minutes :)

My post if anyone's interested....

Glad you got to come out. Next time maybe it won't rain, and Jen and I will have a little more time so I can take you for a spin (not literally :)). And if it's sunny, I'll take the roof off so you can hold your head upright rotfl

I'm really hoping you find an Esprit too. Maybe I'm being selfish, but aside from you getting past the economy (don't worry, it will get better!) and having your dream car, I really want a driving buddy :D What a sight that would be!

Adam

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,683 Posts
Welcome. That's a good looking Esprit.

See my sig for details on the local club.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
ABorkat said:
I'm really hoping you find an Esprit too. Maybe I'm being selfish, but aside from you getting past the economy (don't worry, it will get better!) and having your dream car, I really want a driving buddy What a sight that would be!
Adam,

He can still be your driving buddy. You just need to share your car with him for now :D.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm really hoping you find an Esprit too. Maybe I'm being selfish, but aside from you getting past the economy (don't worry, it will get better!) and having your dream car, I really want a driving buddy :D What a sight that would be!
Thanks Adam, and yeah, it's good to have friends in any obsession- especially when vehicles are involved! :shift:

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Welcome!!! :wave:

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
good luck and welcome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts