The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new here...and seriously lusting for an Esprit! I've done tons of homework and endless hours of reading...now I just need to get to where I can actually afford the thing (I am currently a 'casualty of the recession').

My dream is a later G-car, preferably an HCI...the 'purity' of the earlier cars is nice, but a lot of real-world/living-with-it-type of stuff makes me lean toward the S3/Turbo cars. But no matter how you slice it, I've wanted an Esprit since about 1980.

I found out about this forum this morning from talking to some guys at a local cruise-in. I was there to see an '87 Turbo up close. I'd seen it for sale on eBay then heard that a local guy bought it...traded a few emails with him and he was very gracious about meeting me and allowing me to check out his car from every angle and to sit in it.

I mention sitting in it for a very important reason. Back in 1987 when I was 19, I sat in a brand-new Turbo in a dealer's showroom. I remember fitting rather comfortably, despite my great height. I am 6'4", although at that time I only weighed about 170. Today I weigh about 245 and have gained about 8-10" of waist-size.

Here's what it looked like today when I sat in my new friend's car:

It was, in a word, TIGHT- my head was in firm contact with the ceiling, and my legs were in firm contact with the steering wheel. Despite this, I remain undeterred as I have read a few web-pages about the modifications possible to accomodate tall drivers. I have even seen one article about a 6'7" fellow in Britain who, while he does need to open the sunroof, still makes it work. I also wonder if due to being a small-production, hand-built car, there might be some variance from one car to the next. In any case, I am very good with tools and have spent my life tinkering with foreign vehicles so I have full confidence that I can handle both the 'tall-guy mods' and the regular maintenance and upkeep of such a car.

Just for kicks, here's another picture of the car I saw today :D

So my plan, once I'm financially healthy again, is to make a major goal of Esprit-ownership. I'll be lurking and reading here, and probably will ask a few questions here and there, always driven to learn more about the object of my lust. Wish me luck, and I'll let you know when I get my Esprit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm really hoping you find an Esprit too. Maybe I'm being selfish, but aside from you getting past the economy (don't worry, it will get better!) and having your dream car, I really want a driving buddy :D What a sight that would be!
Thanks Adam, and yeah, it's good to have friends in any obsession- especially when vehicles are involved! :shift:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.