The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The check engine light is on so I just had the scan codes read on my 05 Elise and am getting an 881, 882 codes. Printout says, The PCM has determined that the voltage signal from the evap purge flow sensor is out of range for the current engine operating conditions.
Code 881-Open or short circuit condition
882-Faulty pump module.

Any ideas on exactly what this mean? The mechanic says it sounds like a bad connection from the fuel tank sending unit to the fuel gauge. Does that sound correct?
The fuel gage is working however it is wayyyyy off. I think I have about 1/4 tank of fuel and the gauge is showing almost full.

any ideas are greatly appreciated, and sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place. This forum is pretty new to me yet.

Thanks,
Brian:confused:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The check engine light is on so I just had the scan codes read on my 05 Elise and am getting an 881, 882 codes. Printout says, The PCM has determined that the voltage signal from the evap purge flow sensor is out of range for the current engine operating conditions.
Code 881-Open or short circuit condition
882-Faulty pump module.

Any ideas on exactly what this mean? The mechanic says it sounds like a bad connection from the fuel tank sending unit to the fuel gauge. Does that sound correct?
The fuel gage is working however it is wayyyyy off. I think I have about 1/4 tank of fuel and the gauge is showing almost full.

any ideas are greatly appreciated, and sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place. This forum is pretty new to me yet.

Thanks,
Brian:confused:
Strange, the Lotus Service Manual (at least mine) does not list either of those codes. All the evaporative system codes listed are P04xx...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh crap, your right. I was reading the Probable cause code. The actual Cross #: PO452.

Sorry about that.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Ahh crap, your right. I was reading the Probable cause code. The actual Cross #: PO452.

Sorry about that.
P0452 is "Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch Low"

It seems to indicate the the fuel vapor pressure switch is not functioning properly... that in combination with your fuel level error might be a wiring problem... both the pressure switch and the fuel level sensor have some wiring in common.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I just loooked up code P0452, and it indicates that the ECU has detected an abnormality in the there is a low pressure condition in the fuel tank vapor pressure sensor signal - basically it sounds like the ECU has detected a low pressure in the gas tank - most commonly caused on most cars by the gas cap not being put back on tightly (always "click" it three times). I'm betting that if you remove and replace the gas cap, the code will go away - although it can often take several days of driving for all the various tests to complete and shut off the MIL.

The other (and preferred) thing to do is to use your code scanner to clear the code, remove and reinstall the gas cap, and see if it re-appears. If it doesn't it was the gas cap. If it does, then you name need to investigate further (check that the cap is working properly, all the hoses are not leaking, the valve is working, etc.).

My bet is a loose gas cap.

Although, keep in mind, that I has essentially the same error code on my '96 Ranger Pickup, and it turned out to be that the evaporative system purge valve had gone bad. I replaced that (around $70), and the truck has been running fine for the last 10 years without a problem.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I'll check that out tomorrow and let you know what I find.
I checked the hoses that I could get to today and there are no obvious leaks, loose connections, etc.., double checked the gas cap but I'll try another tomorrow.
Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts