The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CR has to date, been running absolutely flawlessly/perfectly/magnificently!! ...That is, right up until today, when the check engine light at exactly 12,111 now has come on! :panic:

So, I'm now in the market for a scan tool that I know will work with this car.

Anyone have any either insight or information on either of these:

AutoLink AL309 or

Equus3100 Innova

Man, I'm now all of a sudden just freaking!! :panic:
Pulled my baby right back in the garage (being less than 2 miles from home) and shut her right down. Not gonna do a thing until I can hook her up and see what (code) she's thrown.

Any help or advice on this, would be greatly appreciated!
*(and yes, before I get any :thwack: - I did do a search, but could find nothing in here specifically about either of these - that both seem to be also CAN compliant and relatively "robust/feature-rich" for their respective prices -as I've now been suddenly thrust into this search)

TIA for any meaningful feedback I might be able to get!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have the Equus.

No need to spend much on these, all you need is the code.

If the engine light is not flashing, it's minor (possibly emissions related.)

·
Registered
974 Posts
I am also searching for a scanner.

I still haven't bought one but I can tell you that in the process of searching for one, an Actron cp9410 did NOT work on my 07 S. At the same time it worked on someone else's 05 Elise.

Do you have a solid or blinking light?

FWIW, mine was solid and turned out to be a gas cap issue.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have the Equus.

No need to spend much on these, all you need is the code.

If the engine light is not flashing, it's minor (possibly emissions related.)

Thanks! - That is a relief. The tell-tale is yellow and steady. Does the Equus clear the light, if the code is found to be a singular event, and non-serious? I could not seem to find that in the documentation. Also, it appears that one (the 3100 in particular) is currently on such a good sale b/c it is being discontinued (in favor of a 3110 or something like that). Should I be concerned with that in any way? The Auto Link seems to come with a USB (as opposed to serial port) PC connector and has good (supposedly) update (on-line re-flashable?) support - but if it doesn't read our cars, as I've read some units just don't - all that is certainly not going to matter much to me, now is it? ;) I'm off on a 2-day business trip now, so can order one on-line (why I am asking for experience if it works 1st) and have one of these waiting at home on Wed. when I return.

Again - much appreciate the feedback! :bow:

·
Registered
236 Posts
There is a delete feature to clear the light, I didn't use it as I wasn't sure what else it deleted and I wanted the fully history in it for the dealer.

If it's minor the light might automatically clear itself after a few drives and if it doesn't I'd want the dealer to look at it and clear it.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
the club racer i believe is an 07 car, so you'll be looking for a k line obd ii, i've used the acctrons, and they've worked, the cheap harbour freight one didn't though.
auto zones mid level seemed to be ok,

i've got my scan tool with me and i'm hanging out in gaithersberg, md taking a day off today, if you're in that area give me a call and i'lll check it out for you.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
the club racer i believe is an 07 car, so you'll be looking for a k line obd ii, i've used the acctrons, and they've worked, the cheap harbour freight one didn't though.
auto zones mid level seemed to be ok,

i've got my scan tool with me and i'm hanging out in gaithersberg, md taking a day off today, if you're in that area give me a call and i'lll check it out for you.
Damn! :wallbang: That just figures, Charlie - I'd love to take you up on that, and get the opportunity to meet. Unfortunately as of noon today through Wed - I am in Chicago. :wallbang: Thanks so much for that offer though! If yer still around on Wed, I'd like to take you up on that.

Does that AutoLink model look compatible to you? I can get one ordered on-line tonight, so I have it when I get home, and somehow I'd feel better in ordering something too, that is not being discontinued (as the Equus apparently is). I've been so anal-worried about that whole 3rd cam lobe issue with these cars, of course that's the 1st thing I'm thinking - even though every other oil change (that I'm doing faithfully between 2,500-no more than 3k) I've been having a lab oil analysis done, and that's shown no concern whatsoever or indication of excess wear metals evident. If it were the code associated with that, would that have the tell-tale blinking as 300hpMR2 seems to indicate?

Man, this just ruined my morning today. - BLEH. :(

Edit to add: The CR is an '08 car, although it may still be based on the '07 ECU as it is an S-220 - same as the '07 S's. I think you asked me this once before... if it means anything, the cluster is the '08+ "black-face" cluster set up, and it does have both a CAN BUS connector and an OBDII under the dash.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
sorry man, leaving tomorrow, been here a week so its time to go home !

i haven't actually tested that one or know someone who has, but it does support all the right stuff for pre and post 08 cars.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Charlie! ...Safe travels back home. Maybe next time then. I'd love for you to get a look at my baby sometime, and have the chance to even just chat. You're a great asset to this community, and I sincerely appreciate it! :clap:

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Thanks Charlie! ...Safe travels back home. Maybe next time then. I'd love for you to get a look at my baby sometime, and have the chance to even just chat. You're a great asset to this community, and I sincerely appreciate it! :clap:
Grant,

I know you've swapped out your intercooler tubes for the RLS, and I HEARD you also put in a different intercooler.

I know of another guy with an S that threw a code when one of his intercooler pipes came loose. I don't recall if it was reading rich or lean...it was one or the other.

You've been fiddling around in that area, might double check that everything is tight.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Todd. Yes good thoughts, although I am still on the stock I/C. Just the tubes. My 1st task will be to get the code read, so I know what it is. I'll post up an update when I do that, hopefully when I get home on Wed. I've ordered the AutoLink AL309, and where I don't see any other reviews on that yet either, I'll post one up here when I get it/use it. On-Line research anyway elsewhere, indicates for the $$, it's pretty darn robust. So, we'll see.

Thanks all, for the responses and input!! :clap:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE

I got the AL309 - :up:

Worked right away with no issue! :D
Very intuitive functionality, and easy to read! ...Again - :up:

I'll probably write a brief review of the reader itself, under separate cover. In short for here though - EXACTLY as "advertised"! :cool: Screen is clear, and the functionality robust (captures & displays even per event "freeze frame" data, AND further - live data-logging) all-the-while still being extremely intuitive! A big :up: :up: to this (relatively) inexpensive little tool!

Well, "my baby" threw a P0171, as a single (one-time logged) event. - "System too Lean, Bank 1".

This little ditty even captured and displays the "Freeze Frame" datalog of the car's entire profile (choose "freeze-frame code/event data" and scroll through the SEVERAL pages of really interesting - more than I thought/ever anticipated I would actually get from such a little/"light" econo-tool!) during the "event" that triggered the code - and I can tell now exactly when (and I think maybe even WHY too) this happened! Car was under 56.9% load, at 15MPH with 29% throttle position at 2,689 RPM when my event "triggered". I remember exactly what happened there too! *(a mis-shift into 3rd, after doing a quick "shut-down" and turn-around at the end of a cul-de-sac ...but that's another story in of itself, entirely ;))

I feel really confident now, that this was a singular anomolous, isolated one-time event. -PHEW! I'm going to go out and do a live data-logging run with it now, before clearing the code, to get the live MAF data from it, to assure all is more regularly - still running well. Then I will clear the code, and extinguish the tell-tale (MIL) to see if all is well & it stays within parameters and doesn't come back. Stay tuned. ;)

Cheers,
-Grant

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.