The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was driving to and from work today I swear they must've let out the looney bin early. I was cut off several times, had multiple swerving/braking/erratic drivers in front of me(seemed like they were drunk but weren't). And all of these maniacal idiots had something in common. As I drove by them with a raised eyebrow :huh: and without surprise I find so many of them on cell phones or reading a magazine/or book. This has totally gotten out of control. They really need to pass a law and crack down on people driving with the cell phones to their ear. I've had multiple cars in a 1 mile span merge on top of me without even looking in my direction. Brakes erratically hit in front of me with no one in front of them while they swerve to avoid a curb.

Now imagine all of this happening to you in your half sized Elise where they certainly won't be able to see you as easily and you're not nearly as well protected. I'm not trying to deter anyone from buying this car. All I am saying is for all of us to be safe and 100% attentive when driving no matter what vehicle. This car is meant to be driven and to have a blast doing so. Just remember others around you aren't so in tune with the road and their surroundings.

Drive safe everyone.....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Accidents are inevitable. If your numbers up, it doesn't matter if the car is yellow or asphalt grey.

What scares me is not the accident itself, but the difficulty of exiting the vehicle. What if it catches fire and your legs are broken? Or you're unconcious and have to be extricated by someone else? Lawsuits will inevitably arise from this in the future.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The level of inattention that some people display amazes me. A coworker was at a training session and his instructor started out the class by telling them how she was almost in an accident on the way there. She said she was about to change lanes when she happened to look over and see a car there. She then went on to tell the class that they should check the other lane before a lane change like it was some kind of profound insight. You'd think someone who had been driving for 20+ years would have learned that much earlier.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
amcmahon said:
They really need to pass a law and crack down on people driving with the cell phones to their ear.
They have in NY. I think the book/newspaper readers are the scariest.

What if it catches fire and your legs are broken? Or you're unconcious and have to be extricated by someone else?
For an impressive tale of getting out of a bad situation with a broken leg go rent "touching the void". Admittedly there are no burning gas tanks involved tho.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
transio said:
Saffron Yellow = more visible
Any Elise = more maneuverable

I feel safe enough :)
Lol.
My se7en is yellow and maneuverable. It is near-suicide to be caught in traffic.
When a car gets small, low and quick, people think it is further away than it really is.
People getting their Elises are going to have to use it as a motorcycle.... Be careful . think like their out to get you.
m.

·
Registered
368 Posts
This is why I firmly believe that every car behind me is not a problem, it is only the cars in front of me that are, so therefore I should pass every car I come across!!!!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
thegit said:
People getting their Elises are going to have to use it as a motorcycle.... Be careful . think like their out to get you.
m.
Took the words right outta me mouth! :clap:

Stay out of blind spots. This car is tiny.

I also concur with Transio - bright colors should secure some passive safety.

·
Registered
825 Posts
thegit said:
When a car gets small, low and quick, people think it is further away than it really is.
In my old X1/9 (which makes the Elise look like a family sedan) you really noticed this at night. 2 lights close together and low look like a larger car farther away. People frequently cut me off. I was hit 4 times (once by my own mother!) because of low visbility. :no:

And speaking of low visibilty, once a minivan tried to back out of their parking space on top of me. I was well below their back window, and not long enough to protrude out of their mirror blind spots. The driver couldn't see me at all, and only stopped when I honked frantically. :(

Hence the need for the safety of glowing underbody neon, whip antennae and a "Dukes of Hazard" musical horn...

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm thinking just the opposite...

People will be staring at this cool, new, different, wicked car and will lose themselves in the "moment"... This will in turn cause them to rear end the car in front of THEM... :D

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
This is the main reason I'm getting HIDs. I will keep those things on during daytime driving. It should go a long way to improve the car's visibility to other motorist.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
JeffersonRaley said:
And speaking of low visibilty, once a minivan tried to back out of their parking space on top of me. I was well below their back window, and not long enough to protrude out of their mirror blind spots. The driver couldn't see me at all, and only stopped when I honked frantically. :(
Similar experience with me in my Miata just the other day - Parking lot, I've already backed out of my space, I turn to check the blind spot behind me ('cuz I had this funny feeling....) and I see that the explorer behind me has just put it into reverse and has begun to pull out towards me ! Now I could have honked but I decided that may not do the trick since the driver is oblivious, so I quickly put it into first and pulled right back into the parking spot, waited for the airhead to go away and then tried again. Bit scary.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
mikester said:
Similar experience with me in my Miata just the other day - Parking lot, I've already backed out of my space, I turn to check the blind spot behind me ('cuz I had this funny feeling....) and I see that the explorer behind me has just put it into reverse and has begun to pull out towards me ! Now I could have honked but I decided that may not do the trick since the driver is oblivious, so I quickly put it into first and pulled right back into the parking spot, waited for the airhead to go away and then tried again. Bit scary.
I could just see though on www.explorertalk.com how this guy is posting "...I turn to check the blind spot behind me and I see that this little sportscar behind me has just put it into reverse and has begun to pull out towards me ! Thankfully he saw me and let me go, but those little cars scare me."

:)

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I could just see though on www.explorertalk.com how this guy is posting "...I turn to check the blind spot behind me and I see that this little sportscar behind me has just put it into reverse and has begun to pull out towards me ! Thankfully he saw me and let me go, but those little cars scare me."

:)
What about the female version?

"I was just minding my own business and applying my makeup when all of a sudden this little car appeared on the side of me and almost made me smear my makeup! It's a good thing I had my 10' x 4' American flag with 'NEVERFORGET' written underneath it, otherwise he might not have seen me at all when my car decided to move into his lane!"

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I have been rear ended 2x in the past 6 months.... (i would say 2-3 near misses a week too) ain't no avoiding that when your just sitting at a light.

now, for the bimmer its been a $600 rear bumper and 3 days (paid by the attackers insurance) ... for an elise... i would guess about 10 times that and 2-3 months. the sickening thing is that 'i know' its comming and there only thing i can do to avoid it is leave the car in the garage - i hate northern va drivers!

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I think the size/safety issue will be the biggest draw back of the Elise. :(

·
Registered
670 Posts
Anybody that thinks that bright color won't be an advantage is mistaken. Perhaps we should all get a couple of those fibreglass sticks with flourescent orange flags like people put on their recumbant bikes. We could put one on each bumper at a heaight that matches SUV vision.

Steve

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Amen to Motorcycle Mentality.

Drive like you're almost invisible, your shields have failed, they're ALL out to get you, and the only ones that will see you coming are the cops.

Never pace a car from behind or the side. Always be passing or maintain space.

My headlights will also be on full-time.

Modern "living room" land yachts, with DVD 5.1 audio, and double-pane glass are designed precisely so that they don't have to listen to your pestering horn as they blindly change lanes. Plan accordingly.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It is small ... but I thought this thread was going to be about the Elise depreciation after the "die-hards" get their cars.

I'm sorry....but I'm in the mood to dish out a little ___. I've got my nomex on and I'm standing by.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts