The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a close look at the plastic fuel lines on my '91 SE last weekend. -eek-

I found several places where they were significantly abraded from rubbing against various things. There was one spot where it was rubbing against the plenum cover badly enough that it had removed the paint and created a shiny depression in the aluminum.

I immediately wrapped all of the lines with split rubber hose to prevent any further deterioration. Even so, I'm nervous about running the car with 23yo. weakened high-pressure fuel lines.

I have a feeling that many Esprits die a fiery death due to failed plastic fuel hoses.

Has anyone done an AN line & fitting conversion? I'd like to hear some recommendations and maybe some details on fitting sizes/configurations and sources. Maybe someone out there offers a kit, I googled it a little but didn't see anything.

Looks like 8 fittings total...
Tank Outlet
Filter Inlet
Filter Outlet
Secondary Inlet
Secondary Outlet
Rail Inlet
Regulator Outlet
Tank Inlet

Figuring out what sizes these are would be a good start.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I am in the process of converting the stock fuel lines to AN6 fittings using a conventional fuel line. The issues are getting the adapters to go from the fuel pump to AN6 (both output and return), modifying the fuel rail by removing the existing fittings and welding on AN mail ends, getting a fuel pressure regulator, and getting adapters for the stock fuel filter if you want to stay with that, or else getting a different fuel filter designed with AN fittings.

I had my fuel rail modified by John Welch at WC Engineering. The proper fuel pump adapters were graciously identified by Sanj. They are

Earl's 9894DBHERL, Summit Racing p/n EAR-9894DBHERL
Earl's 9894DBJERL, Summit Racing p/n EAR-9894DBJERL

I am still looking around for a fuel pressure regulator but am leaning towards an Aeromotive. John Welch recommends Earl's ProLite fuel hose so I will go with that sekection. Outside of figuring out the optimum placement of the fuel pressure regulator everything else is straightforward plumbing.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hello Pete,
I had the same thoughts. Better safe than sorry. I looked for a kit soloution, and I found some of it from ramspott und brandt. But not the return line.
I asked them if they would do a kit for that too, but unfortunately, they answered no.
They might be willing to sell the Black adapter they use in their kit for the gas tank connection. But that might be found elsewhere.
Running their kit, I can say it Works fine.

Cheers,
Redfox.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Nice! What year is your Esprit and how much was the kit?
other bits you had to get to make it work?

I got the muffler, center exit, from them for my 1994 S4, not cheap but excellent quality

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Here are a couple of more pictures of the 6AN fittings. In talking things over with John Welch I opted not to go with stainless braided line - John said it has a tendency to saw through things which it touches. I went with Earls Pro-lite 350, a nylon braided line.

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hi Travis, Yes, it is a bit short to look at, but there is a bit of slack and Flex for engine movement etc.

MisLifeZ, no, not really. There was a white washer in the kit as I remember it. Pretty easy to install, but I really would like the return line too. A steep Price though, so one may look into makeing it yourself.

Mine is a 1990 SE:

Cheers,
Jacques.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Looks great I am going to have to invest in a set!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Earl's 9894DBHERL, Summit Racing p/n EAR-9894DBHERL
Earl's 9894DBJERL, Summit Racing p/n EAR-9894DBJERL
Ahhhhh....excellent!
Ok, filling in the blanks now! Halfway there, this is what I'm thinking so far, correct me if I'm mistaken:

Pump Outlet - 16mm x 1.5 Male O-Ring
Tank Inlet - 14mm x 1.5 Male O-Ring
Filter Inlet & Outlet - 16mm x 1.5 Female O-Ring
Secondary Injector Rail In & Out - ??? BSP Male pipe thread ???
Main Injector Rail Inlet - ???
Regulator Outlet - Some custom deal

The guys at the local Pirtek shop might be able to modify something to fit the stock regulator.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello Pete,
I had the same thoughts. Better safe than sorry. I looked for a kit soloution, and I found some of it from ramspott und brandt. But not the return line.
I asked them if they would do a kit for that too, but unfortunately, they answered no.

Cheers,
Redfox.
I stumbled across this the other day....

Genuine GM Delco Pressure Regulator 17112611 17112117 | eBay

It appears like it would bolt on in place of the stock regulator and has a threaded fitting for the return line. Unfortunately the schrader is on the opposite side and would probably interfere with the Chargecooler, it could be replaced with a blanking plug or possibly the whole thing could be mounted inverted (but I'm not sure if the original mounting clip would work that way). I don't know the pressure spec on it but it's likely to be similar to the OE one.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just bumping this to see if anyone knows what the missing fuel connectors are:

Pump Outlet - 16mm x 1.5 Male O-Ring
Tank Inlet - 14mm x 1.5 Male O-Ring
Filter Inlet & Outlet - 16mm x 1.5 Female O-Ring

Secondary Injector Rail In & Out - ??? BSP Male pipe thread ???
Main Injector Rail Inlet - ???

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Looking for a project.. Looking at the photo here, what sized, thread pitch, etc. should I purchase for A, B and C?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Looking for a project.. Looking at the photo here, what sized, thread pitch, etc. should I purchase for A, B and C?
When converting to this kind of line, braided S/S, you must fasten and support it properly. If it rubs against anything it is like a hacksaw. It should be clamped properly, you must have large generous bends and it can't be twisted or kinked. This stuff is not for short lines or tight bends. In those cases you are better off with solid pipe. If your original lines are not in good condition they should be replaced. A tiny leak can become a blowtorch and destroy the car quickly. Carrying a good fire extinguisher is also a good idea.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
When converting to this kind of line, braided S/S, you must fasten and support it properly. If it rubs against anything it is like a hacksaw. It should be clamped properly, you must have large generous bends and it can't be twisted or kinked. This stuff is not for short lines or tight bends. In those cases you are better off with solid pipe. If your original lines are not in good condition they should be replaced. A tiny leak can become a blowtorch and destroy the car quickly. Carrying a good fire extinguisher is also a good idea.
David Teitelbaum
Absolutely will do as you suggest.

·
Registered
522 Posts
My fire extinguisher is in a snap bracket, fastened to the seat moving handle on the front of my passenger seat. Sitting in the drivers seat, I can grab it in 4-5 seconds, and use it, if need be. Hopefully never.

Kind regards,
Redfox.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts