Thomas

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thomasio said:
I see that the Elise classification is in this issue of Fastrack:

http://www.scca.org/news/tech/fastrack/04-02Fastrack.pdf

Thomas
Weight (lbs.): 2095, Notes: Detachable hardtop shall be installed (latches shall be replaced with positive fasteners), convertible top shall be removed.

Where did they get the weight # from? It seems to still be creeping up. :(

And it sounds like the hardtop is a must have.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
It's been classed for road racing in T1 which requires additonal safety equipment like a cage and fire protection, but doesn't allow the removal of much. That's why the higher weight, and the hardtop attachment.

Still no classing for Solo2...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Just to make sure that there are no misunderstandings: This is for road racing, not autocross. So it has nothing to do with most of the classing discussions that have been going on here.

Edit: Robert beat me to it, I'm typing too slow... ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Okay, I was impressed with this news but I didn't really know what it meant. I did a little research and here is some context for the rest of us who are uninitiated. Pretty impressive crowd of heavy hitters to be included in with our little 1.8L engine. :)

Definition:
TOURING CATEGORY
In response to the ever increasing performance of today's street cars and to expand participation by various manufacturers, SCCA created the Touring Category 1996 which was expanded in 1998 into two classes Touring 1 (T-1) and Touring 2 (T-2). T-1 reintroduces to Club Racing a venue for current ultra performance machines such as the C5 Corvette, the Dodge Viper, the Porsche 996, the Ferrari 355 and the Acura NSX-T. T-2 consists of vehicles such as the Z-28 Camaro, Mustang Cobra, BMW M-3, Toyota Supra, and the Honda Prelude. These new classes allow for aftermarket wheels and open muffler and exhaust systems as well as other options. No car may be more than five years old.

So SCCA placed the Elise in the top Touring Car (T1) class for track racing along with the other newly added cars:

2003-04 Porsche GT3
2005 Lotus Elise
2004 Corvette Z06
2004 Maserati Coupe
2003-04 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Other cars already in this class include:

Acura NSX
BMW 540 (4398cc)
BMW M3 Lightweight (2990cc)
Chevrolet Camaro SS (5666cc)
Chevrolet Corvette C5 (5666cc)
Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Chevrolet Corvette C4 (5734cc)
Dodge/Chrysler Viper RT10 / GT-S / ACR (7990cc)
Ferrari 355 Berlinetta (3496cc)
Ford Mustang Steeda 351Q (5766cc)
Ford Mustang Cobra R
Pontiac Firebird WS-6 (5666cc)
Porsche 993 Porsche Club Class C (3600cc)
Porsche 996 Porsche Club Class B (3400cc)

·
Registered
302 Posts
The T1 Elise will be lighter than the Fed Elise, according to Lotus. Weight will be deleted to more than offset the weight of the cage, etc.

Jeff

·
Registered
23 Posts
I understand the Elise is a great car, but I think that the SCCA is a bunch of IDIOTS, for classifing the Elise in with those cars. What about the weight of the driver? It doesn't matter if they run u over down the straights with HP and top-end far better than we have and they corner and brake damn near as well (or better) than we do. What will they do about driver weight? Do they think we will have Turbocharging or something? Hell, the Z06 has more than double the HP and more than double the tourque and it only outweighs us by 50% NOT 100%! And it's no slouch in the brakes or corner dept either...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts